CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

3.1

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Jul 022016

Grand Cherokee

When traveling long distance or at high speed the check engine light comes on and traction control locks itself off and won't let it accelerate until you turn the car off then back on. Has done it multiple times now after replacing the camshaft sensor each time

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Oct 212015

Grand Cherokee

My car will stall and then accelerate very quickly. If I am driving and trying to accelerate my car will stall almost cutting off. This usually happens around a speed of 25/30 mile per hour. I also experienced deceleration while driving on the highway at 60/65 mph. This is very scary. Also when I am in reverse my transmission makes a knocking sound. My engine light constantly comes on. Heat vapors comes from the hood of the car.

- Columbi, MD, USA

Oct 312015

Grand Cherokee

We were driving last Saturday, we were driving onto a busy main street the car was in motion, another made a illegal move and swireved into our vehicle, we honked but the horn wouldn't work. We stopped the vehicle. The other driver apologized with a wave of their hand. We started to drive again, trying to use the horn with no success. About 15 later the horn started to sound. The horn has stopped and started. This vehicle has had numerous recalls.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 312014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

About 6 months ago, my engined began stalling while driving without any warning. Finally my car would not start up and required towing. Throughout this time, abnormal noises could be heard from the starter. The dealer tried to repair it by replacing the Chrysler Jeep tafn kit and charged me $1,361 for the service. But the car was still not repaired and working properly since it continued stalling while driving particularly on the highway, not accelerating, showing the electronic stabilizer light going on along with no power, and emitting screeching noises when turned on. Again I took the car to the same dealer and the mechanic claimed that it "might be cam sensor" and charged me again ($324) for a repair service that had no impact except to make the situation worse. So the car is still not repaired or functioning and continues to exhibit the same problems describe above. In November of this year, I received a recall (P54) notice from Chrysler about a fuel pump relay problem that described the problems I have been having with my car which led me to believe that the dealership could make the necessary repairs; but you can see, this did not happen. In its recall message, Chrysler recommended that I contact you if my dealer has failed or has been unable to remedy this defect without charge. My complaint is two fold: The defect has not been remedied and the dealer keeps charging me for each service repair visit.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Nov 202013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

This is the second time that the alternator shorted out seized and killed battery within 9 months, so battery completely dies - first time couldn't even jump start so had to tow, second time I left it connected to jump starter wires for 8 minutes and the car started and took it to dealership. First time it happened in Nov 2013 and now again in October 2014. Central avenue Chrysler Jeep dealership doesn't know why this is happening, as it shouldn't. I had to pay for the replacement twice now, $400 first time and $500 second time.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Jun 302014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Traveling at about 68 mph with speed control engaged, after about 30 minutes I noticed a declining vehicle speed & stability control warning light illuminated. After unsuccessfully trying to re engage speed control, I pulled off the highway. I depressed the dash board stability control button several times and the stability control light was still on. I turned off the vehicle and restarted & the stability control light was off. We resumed our trip using speed control with further incident. This has occurred several times since, but only with speed control engaged. On a recent trip after about 30 minutes @ 65 - 70 mph with speed control engaged the same issue occurred again under the same circumstances and same corrective action taken. I then continued for about 2 hours at the same speed without speed control and further incident. Since then a technician has attempted to resolve the issue without results. It is an intermittent issue will be unable to resolve until a full failure of the issue.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Sep 252013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While driving the vehicle stopped dead. It would not restart. Had it towed to local dealer. The tipm (total integrated power module) and both fuel pumps were out! part was back ordered for a month. I was without my vehicle almost 4 weeks. Drove it two days on a trip and the constant velocity joint went out!

- Clinton, AR, USA

Dec 242010

Grand Cherokee

Transmission shifted into 4 wheel drive (4WD) low, suddenly, accompanied by a clunk and change in vehicle speed from downshifting. Lights came one in the dash indicating loss of traction control and 4WD service needed. This event continued to happen sporadically while driving until we made it back to the dealership. Since downshifting into 4WD low occurred while driving at normal roadway operating speeds (approximately 20-40 mph) it certainly felt like a safety issue, compounded by the fact that traction control was lost as a result. Once back at the dealership, the service department found that the transfer case had an internal failure. The vehicle was in the shop for about 3 weeks and while the transfer case was replaced under warranty. Due to this negative experience with the vehicle we no longer felt safe driving it, and ended up trading it in for another vehicle just a few weeks after getting it back from the shop.

- Arlington, VA, USA