CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 14 of 14)

Jan 042014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I am second owner of a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee that at the time of the following incident had just under 35K miles but was 2 months over the warranty period. The temperature the morning of Jan 4, 2014 was between -2 & -4 F. I started Jeep and proceeded to drive to end of block. When depressing and/or releasing brake I heard an air leak from under the dash. I returned home and parked the car. The next day the outside temperature had gone above 5 degrees F. the car no longer made the air leak sound. I dropped vehicle off evening of Jan 6 to local mechanic. Temperature on Jan 7 dropped to 5 F. mechanic indicated air leak condition was noted and indicated issue was power brake booster. They suggested I contact Jeep to see if they would make repairs. I had discussions with Chrysler/Jeep and Jeep dealer about issue. I did not mention that I had taken the vehicle to a mechanic. I advised them that indications were a bad power brake booster and that I felt this was a latent failure that would only show up at subfreezing temperatures. Chrysler/Jeep indicated since auto had 35K miles but exceeded 36 months, the vehicle was not under warranty and Jeep would not diagnose or cover cost of repair without me paying. I had replacement of power booster done by the local mechanic on Jan 15. They determined there was water in the booster. It was their diagnosis that the booster had a leak that allowed water to enter. When temperature dropped to those noted, the booster would exhibit an air leak. I have subsequently searched the condition on several Chrysler vehicle internet forums and have found that this booster failure condition is described almost identically to what I encountered. I have a concern that this is a design issue and the problem is not detectable unless the temperature drops below a certain degree. This could result in a power brake failure.

- Ocean City, NJ, USA

Jan 082014

Grand Cherokee

While traveling at normal highway speed slowed downed to exit highway and when I went to stop to pay toll brake pedal became hard as a rock and car would not stop. I released pressure from pedal and tried to pump brakes and got car to stop, ABS system did not activate and no warning lights were activated!!!!! when I took car to service station I was informed the power booster for the brakes had blown. And the dealer informed the service station there are -7 on the North eastern region and the cold weather has caused this part to blow out!!!!!!

- South Ozone Park, NY, USA

Nov 052013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph and attempting to stop the vehicle, the brakes malfunctioned. The contact was informed by an independent mechanic that the brake boots and pedal was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was not available.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Nov 112013

Grand Cherokee

Jeep is unreliable turning on. Will crank and crank and crank, but never turn over. After 10 or so tries, will sometimes start. Other times, I have to leave it and try again later. Dealer says it is related to the tipm. Which is backordered, with no estimated ship date in sight. This part is also linked to my automatic brakes, airbags, electrical, etc. My car is still under warranty and the dealer refuses to grant me a courtesy or rental car until the part comes in. They suggested I keep my unreliable car for the time being.

- Homewood , AL, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

When trying to come to a stop, the brake pedal goes as far as allowed and vehicle continues to roll for 5, 10, 15 ft. The brakes operate as normal at speeds, but when you try to stop, it doesn't happen as expected. The dealership replaced the master cylinder and power brake booster. They would not cover the costs as it's out of manufacturer warranty, luckily I purchased the lifetime bumper to bumper extended warranty and they wanted me to pay the deductible associated with that policy. I was not happy with that either so I called Chrysler directly, they in turn called the dealership and told me to talk to the service manager to see if he'd waive the deductible. I was surprisingly successful at getting the deductible waived, but he did not have to. A vehicle with 43K should not have these issues and I see that I'm not the only one with this problem, therefore that is why I'm reporting it. I picked vehicle up 10/18/2013 and it seems to be braking normally at this time.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Jan 202013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Upon slowing down at normal deceleration rates, the brakes lost power allowing car to roll through a stop sign. The issue is intermittent and does not exhibit any observable pattern (outside temperature, etc). The dealer first said it was the rotors glazing, but the issue continued after the dealership turned them and the frequency has not reduced. The second visit found no issues after it was again reported. A third party resource indicated that it could be the master cylinder gasket/seal. Since this issue does not occur regularly and has not been "observed" by the dealership, the dealership will not replace the part. Since it does happen at a rate of only 1-2 times per week, it is tough to compensate for and/or predict when it will occur causing lack of confidence. Other notes are that ABS does not kick in during the loss of power and the pedal is pushed in as far as possible with the car still moving forward between 5-10mph only decelerating slightly.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA