Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 14 of 24)

Sep 162014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My Jeep would not start. I checked online and found many people had the same problem however some said that when they got the vehicle to start it would suddenly quit running while driving. I brought the vehicle to the dealer who explained that the electrical connection to the fuel pump was the problem and that they would have to replace the tipm. The service writer said that this problem was more prevalent on the 2011 model. If it is true that this is a defective part and that the fuel could shut off at any time, this certainly seems like a safety issue.

- Metairie, LA, USA

May 172014

Grand Cherokee

Jeep will not start on first try. I removed the push start button and began starting with the key. That worked fine for about a month then it required multiple tries to get it started. I have now started using the remote start and it worked for 4 days. It is not hard to start every time but at least twice a day I have a problem with it. I had the Jeep dealership check my battery in August to see if that was the problem and they informed me my battery was fine.

- Crawfordville, FL, USA

Sep 152014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle would not start. Dealer replaced fuel pump relay, mentioned many people were having this issue and that Chrysler may have/need to recall so keep receipt. Suspect it may be the tipm.

- Windham, NH, USA

Sep 162014

Engine did not start.

- Gig Harbor , WA, USA

Sep 122014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I currently have a tipm issue which can sometimes make it impossible to start my car. In addition, it can cause any of the following. The fuel pump not turning off the airbags not deploying or deploying randomly the engine stalling while driving the horn going off at random times. I have a 7 year old son and I use this vehicle everyday and I can not and will not put my life, my son and other drivers life at risk because of this issue with this vehicle. About a month ago I had to get my break boosters replace as well because they went out and I almost got in to an accident and hurt not only me and my son but another driver. I contacted Chrysler the seem to show not much concern but I was able to take it to a local Chrysler service department and they corrected the break booster issue. Now I have this electrical issue that is not safe and I don't wan to cause any damage to anyone or myself because my Jeep stalls in the middle of the highway my airbags go off while driving and cause me to hurt someone or myself. Please help me not only me but help me for the other drivers on the road no one needs to get hurt because of these defects of this vehicle. Thank you!

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 022014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

When cranking my vehicle it begins to stall and sounds as if it is flooding. It continues to do this until I can get it to turn off. The stalling is continuous. When I took my Jeep to the dealership they informed that the problem I am experiencing is due to a defective totally integrated power module, or tipm. This defective part is the cause of the problems I'm incurring with starting my vehicle and it's stalling. While researching the issue I learned that the tipm can "prevent the fuel pump from shutting off properly, cause headlights and taillights to shut off, and can cause random and uncontrollable activity of the horn, windshield wipers, alarm system, door locks, and airbags."

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Sep 082014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and the vehicle shut off, the lights started flashing and there was no power to the vehicle. I thought I was going to die!!! it was very hard but I got it to the shoulder. I called 911 and my insurance company and they had it towed to the nearest dealer. They could not use a normal tow truck they hat to use dolly wheels, since everything was locked. My lights continued to flash for over six hours till the dealer could get them shut off, it blew my fog lights and a turn signal. They said it was the tipm and they luckily had one. This was to be all fixed back in February.

- Milford, DE, USA

Jun 192014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle began presenting with grinding noise upon start up (similar noise to turning the key in older vehicle once engine was running). Brought to dealer's attention at time of service - dealer could not duplicate grinding noise. Within a few weeks, vehicle began taking more than 1 attempt to turn engine over (sometimes up to 4-5 attempts), including prolonged engagement of starter motor. If multiple attempts, noticed rich fuel smell. Mentioned to dealer at time of next scheduled service - dealer could not duplicate starting problems over the course of 2 days in their care. Dealer said to wait for more frequent occurrences to begin then they would check again. Starting issues were intermittent and continued to occur until last week, where after "hard start, " vehicle engine stalled while in reverse pulling out of parking spot (<5 mph); however, power to lights and radio remained on; steering locked up, and had to push vehicle to safe spot. Took 2 starts to get engine running again. Next day, after 4 failed starting attempts (5th successful), had battery tested and replaced day after thinking it could be part of problem (starter and alternator tested fine). The day after battery replacement, vehicle produced what sounded like abnormal start, then engine stalled while in motion under 5 miles per hour. Based on evidence and prior reports, faulty tipm is suspect. We are fortunate that both stalls occurred under 5 mph; it is only a matter of time before this happens at highway speeds. Hoping the NHTSA will force Chrysler's hand into opening formal investigation into faulty electrical systems in vehicles.

- Burlington, NJ, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed to repair the vehicle was not available for several months. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Tripoli, PA, USA

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was at a business meeting and I came outside to start my vehicle up and it wouldn't start. Took the truck to 2 mechanics before taking it back to where I purchased the vehicle. Dealer explained that its the (T.I.P.M) totally integrated power module and its gonna cost $1100 dollars to fix.

- Parkville, MD, USA

Aug 082014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Will not start 10 to 15 times before it would start. They put some kind of bypass relay in it.I think there might be something wrong with tipm so they bypass part of it with this relay.

- Monroe Center, IL, USA

Sep 062014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The tipm module malfunctioned and I could not pull my boat out of the lake. Had two children with me.

- Solon, OH, USA

Sep 112014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was unavailable. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Semmes, AL, USA

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start. I am told it is related to a tipm failure. 1300 dollars to fix on a car that is out of warranty with less than 20K miles. The part is also ok back order for over a month. I am told there could be random deployment of airbags also.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

As I was trying to leave work on Sept. 10, Jeep wouldn't start. It would try for a minute, the whole thing would shake, and then it would turn off. I tried again, Jeep started fine and drove home fine. The next morning when I was headed to work, the Jeep wouldn't start - same shaking thing, I tried 5 times and it would never come on. Started researching online and looks like we've fallen victim to the tipm problem I keep reading about.

- Muskogee, OK, USA

Sep 072014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle hard to start, failed to start, and quit after starting. Failure of the defective totally integrated power module (tipm).

- Viper, KY, USA

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical). The contact stated that the parts were not available to perform the recall repairs. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Sep 082014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My Jeep Grand Cherokee hasn't been starting regularly for about 3 months. Four days ago the headlights turned off while I was driving, yesterday it wouldn't start at all. Currently having the tipm replaced to the tune of $1100.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Jul 282014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the engine would stall. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. Also, the instrument panel warning indicators intermittently illuminated. The dealer stated that the tipm unit was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Buckholts, TX, USA

Aug 122014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

We purchased our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee brand new in August 2010. Over the course of the last year there were moments when the vehicle was hard to start. In the last two weeks the hard starting only occurred the initial start of the day. Subsequently, August 31st - September 5th the hard start occurred at every start through out the day. I no longer felt comfortable driving it anywhere feeling like I would be stranded somewhere. The car is currently at the dealership with a new tipm being installed at a cost of $1000 for the part and another $411 in labor and tax.

- Bonare, GA, USA