NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Page 15 of 24)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 15 of 24)

Sep 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed to repair the vehicle was not available for several months. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Tripoli, PA, USA

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was at a business meeting and I came outside to start my vehicle up and it wouldn't start. Took the truck to 2 mechanics before taking it back to where I purchased the vehicle. Dealer explained that its the (T.I.P.M) totally integrated power module and its gonna cost $1100 dollars to fix.

- Parkville, MD, USA

Aug 082014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Will not start 10 to 15 times before it would start. They put some kind of bypass relay in it.I think there might be something wrong with tipm so they bypass part of it with this relay.

- Monroe Center, IL, USA

Sep 062014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The tipm module malfunctioned and I could not pull my boat out of the lake. Had two children with me.

- Solon, OH, USA

Sep 112014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was unavailable. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Semmes, AL, USA

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start. I am told it is related to a tipm failure. 1300 dollars to fix on a car that is out of warranty with less than 20K miles. The part is also ok back order for over a month. I am told there could be random deployment of airbags also.

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

As I was trying to leave work on Sept. 10, Jeep wouldn't start. It would try for a minute, the whole thing would shake, and then it would turn off. I tried again, Jeep started fine and drove home fine. The next morning when I was headed to work, the Jeep wouldn't start - same shaking thing, I tried 5 times and it would never come on. Started researching online and looks like we've fallen victim to the tipm problem I keep reading about.

- Muskogee, OK, USA

Sep 072014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle hard to start, failed to start, and quit after starting. Failure of the defective totally integrated power module (tipm).

- Viper, KY, USA

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical). The contact stated that the parts were not available to perform the recall repairs. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Sep 082014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My Jeep Grand Cherokee hasn't been starting regularly for about 3 months. Four days ago the headlights turned off while I was driving, yesterday it wouldn't start at all. Currently having the tipm replaced to the tune of $1100.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Jul 282014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the engine would stall. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. Also, the instrument panel warning indicators intermittently illuminated. The dealer stated that the tipm unit was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Buckholts, TX, USA

Aug 122014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

We purchased our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee brand new in August 2010. Over the course of the last year there were moments when the vehicle was hard to start. In the last two weeks the hard starting only occurred the initial start of the day. Subsequently, August 31st - September 5th the hard start occurred at every start through out the day. I no longer felt comfortable driving it anywhere feeling like I would be stranded somewhere. The car is currently at the dealership with a new tipm being installed at a cost of $1000 for the part and another $411 in labor and tax.

- Bonare, GA, USA

Oct 202013

Grand Cherokee

October 20, 2013, attempted to turn ignition off when the starter motor remained engaged and continued cranking after shut off and engine check light came on. Starter motor finally disengaged after pushing the start/stop button multiple times. Vehicle has only 20652 miles on the odometer. Vehicle taken to the dealer who advised that the starter motor never remained engaged while cranking during their test. Dealer invoice reports "check veh for check engine light on, hook up to scanner found "dtc P0108". checked for flash found power train flash reprogram PCM then retest, vehicle ok". dealer mentioned nothing about a possible tipm problem. Vehicle ran fine for a while, but the same thing occurred several months later. Since the second incident, no further problems until yesterday (September 6, 2014) when the engine would not start as the starter motor remained engaged and continued to crank. The starter motor disengaged and stopped cranking when the start/stop button was pushed, but the same thing happened 5 successive times when additional attempts were made to start the engine. Finally, the vehicle started. I googled the symptoms and learned about the ongoing problem with the tipm involving the 2011 Jeep. I've recently received two recall notices from Chrysler for "P36 / NHTSA 14V-391 and 154" (lamp wiring and brakes), but nothing regarding the tipm problem. I now have a lack of confidence in my Jeep.

- Downey, CA, USA

Jun 162014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle will stall at any speed without any prior warning causing loss of steering and braking. The vehicle has to come to a complete stop to be started as it is a push button start and it has to be in park with foot on brake. Started a case number with Jeep, took it to several Jeep authorized service facilities and they could not diagnose the problem. The vehicle had a tipm (totally integrated power module) replaced at about 80,000 miles. Should have been recalled, was not. Jeep closed the case telling us there was nothing they could do for us as they could not diagnose the problem. This vehicle has had numerous electrical issues documented starting when it only had 50 miles on it. This vehicle is not safe to drive.

- Granger, IN, USA

Sep 022014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My Jeep was having problems starting for 3 weeks now but the dealer couldn't look at it until 9/9/14 on Tuesday 9/2/14 it stalled while doing 55 mph on the long island expressway, I was able to coast to the shoulder and able to get the car started after about a dozen tries. I called the dealer and tried to get in earlier because on my concern about safety. They told me I was lucky I still had the appointment that I had because they are overbooked. It would not start at all on Friday 9/5/14 I had it towed to another dealer that diagnosed it as a faulty tipm. And it would cost me 1098 to fix because the warranty will not cover it. After looking up the problem I see that this is a serious issue with my model. This is a serious problem with the engine stalling at speed. Chrysler should fix this for free!

- Huntington, NY, USA

Feb 012014

Grand Cherokee

Engine would crank but would not start. Required repeated tries and would then start. This has occurred several times since February. Seems to occur after car has been sitting for a few days. Radio and ac have also have some unexplained behaviors that may or may not be related. Have now learned through numerous online complaints that tipm may very well be the culprit. Going to dealer on Monday.

- Blue Jay, CA, USA

May 202014

Grand Cherokee

Within the first two months of owning the vehicle, it didn't want to crank (didn't turn over). After two attempts, it cranked fine for the next few months. About a month later, same thing occured. 09/03/14 same type of incident occured except etc light came on. Cranked after two separate attempts. Car alarm also randomly will go off in a parking lot, especially whenever locked, with no other cars or interferences around (happens at least monthly).

- Newton, NC, USA

May 202014

- Newton, NC, USA

Aug 152014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Driving home from work on a Friday afternoon, while making a turn in residential area, the engine cut off and the steering locked up. The radio, instrument panel and A/C were all still on, so did not immediately realize the engine was off. Was able to restart after putting vehicle into park. Fortunately, no other vehicles were behind me or could have been worse. Dealer not able to find what was wrong since they could not replicate it, so was not able to repair problem. Has not recurred, but now very scary driving, not knowing if it will happen again.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Jul 302013

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep failed to start on the first 4 attempts. This was one of the many times it has failed to start. My service tech told me it needs a tipm, total integrated power module and that they are know by Jeep to be defective and Jeep needs to recall these before there are anymore accidents. I was also told it will take weeks for a replacement tipm due to the demand of the bad ones being replaced. I was also told this is around a $1300 repair. I bought a extra 5 years warranty and now need to get a rental and have it fixed before it leaves me stranded along the road.

- Portage, PA, USA