Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 17 of 24)

Jun 282014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The car will stall/won't turnover when you go to start it.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Aug 042014

Grand Cherokee

Our Jeep requires the totally integrated power module (tipm) to be replaced. This system starts the car. It is extremely unsafe for a motorist to be stranded without the vehicle being able to start.

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 022014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The tipa is defective and the fuel pump won't turn on, therefore my car is unable to start. I have to pay $1300 to repair this as the car is now out of warranty. I have done research and learning this is an extremely common defect in the Jeep.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Jul 272014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The Jeep would not start on the first try. It either cranks and cranks and never turns over, or it turns over but never reaches a good idle state and just shuts off. After a few attempts, it would finally start and be ok until the next time I leave it alone for an extended period. I believe the symptoms I am experiencing are the same as those that have been reporting a problem with the tipm, which seems to be a very pricey item that Jeep (Chrysler) knows is faulty and have done nothing about. Not to mention that it is also an item that is on national back order with a class action lawsuit filed as well.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Nov 072013

Grand Cherokee

When starting the Jeep, it made a violent shutter and would not completely start. After multiple attempts at trying to start and then stopping, the Jeep finally started successfully. I contacted the local Jeep dealer who stated that unless the stop engine light can on, which would give them a code to check, they would not be able to identify the problem. I mentioned issues with the tipm module that I had read about on the internet. They stated they were not aware of any issues. Beginning around July 15, 2014, the Jeep started doing the same thing again. Not every time when starting but progressively more often until on July 28, 2014, it would not start at all. After attempting for about 30 minutes, I was able to get the Jeep started and drove to the dealer for repair. This time they identified the tipm module as the problem, and that there was a need to wire an external relay around the module so that the fuel pump received power. This is clearly a manufacturing defect since it is affecting so many cars and Jeep needs to announce a recall to fix this defect and also to reimburse owners who have had repairs made.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Jul 252014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When trying to start my Jeep on Friday 7/25 I found that when I push the start button the vehicle would not turn over. It would engage and attempt to turn over but would not start. I tested the battery and it read to be normal and upon further review I found many other consumers had the same problem, the vehicle would randomly not start. This happens to me about once a month since we purchased it in March of 2014. I've read from others there is an issue with the tipm which will cause the vehicle to not start or completely stall out while driving which did occur one time to me in June on a trip from Ohio to Maryland!

- Essex, MD, USA

Jul 202014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The engine will crank but will not turnover. It appears that it is not getting fuel. After research on the internet, we identified the tipm issue. I tested the fuel pump relay and it is not reliably sending power to the fuel pump. The relay cannot be individually replaced, the whole tipm needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Jul 182014

Grand Cherokee

Tipm computer board/module defect...known defect to the manufacturer (poor part product with high chance of failure). Jeep stalled out on road several times with kids in car...part is on a national backorder and still no recall for owners.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jul 172014

Grand Cherokee

Difficulty to start the vehicle and is related with the tipm.

- Toa Alta, PR, USA

Jun 272014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The alternator failed and the tipm also. There is no charging light in the dash so it was impossible to know there were a problem since the battery was dead and the engine stall. After that, there were no light, no power brake and the car won't start anymore. Even after replacing the alternator ( which is cost 1000 each.) the alternator do not charge because the tipm failed too. Overall, it cost 2200$ to repair and I lost my car for 4 weeks !

- La Baie, AA, USA

Jul 152014

Failure of the tipm.

- Alabaster, AL, USA

Jul 012014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Problem starting the Jeep the tipm mal-functioning. Not able to start the car on a regular. Seeing many other people complaining about the same problem.

- Havertown, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle does not crank, cranks but suddenly loses power, shutsoff losing power brakes, power steering and control.

- Silverhill, AL, USA

Jul 082014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle began experiencing sporadic and intermittent hard crank starts as well as partial stalling while traveling. When placing the key/push button to the "on" position, the fuel pump would engage, but was quickly followed by a "click" noise, which shutoff the fuel pump. Eventually, after 6-12 attempts, the fuel pump would engage long enough to allow the vehicle to start. While traveling, rpms would suddenly drop, typically while braking/slowing from traveling. After progressively getting worse and more consistent, vehicle taken to dealership. Initial diagnosis was a failing fuel pump. Upon further investigation, it was determined that the electrical relay to the fuel pump, a part of the tipm, was shorting and prematurely failing. A bypass relay was re-wired and seems to have corrected the problem.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Apr 012014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle struggles to start. The consumer stated the vehicle would crank, but not turn over. After multiple attempts, the vehicle finally started. While awaiting the dealers diagnosis, the consumer did some research and discovered the common cause seemed to be the totally integrated power module (tipm). The dealer confirmed, the problem was indeed the (tipm).

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Jun 302014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle would not start; repeated attempts to start vehicle (5 times) and no success - vehicle started on the 6th attempt. This problem has reoccurred several times since the initial problem. The vehicle will be taken to the dealer on 07/07/2014.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jul 032014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

A Chrysler Jeep and Dodge dealership in orlando replaced the factory installed tipm in my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with 58,000 miles today at a cost to me of $1230. The tipm controls and distributes power to all of the electrical functions of the vehicle. They had one in stock, and after a little research online I discovered a widespread issue with many other 2011 Grand Cherokee. Many of the other complaints cite faulty tipm devices failing while the car was traveling in excess of 65 mph causing the car to come to a sudden stop. Others mention lights failing and other electrical failures. There are thousands of similar complaints that I've easily found online. I'm writing to ask you to please initiate a recall or some initiative that will reimburse consumers that unknowingly purchased vehicles with a faulty tipm. The 2011 Grand Cherokee overland owners have been wronged.

- Pace, FL, USA

Jun 112014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

This is the second time in six months that I have had a major problem with my key fob affecting my engine. I am afraid this may be an ignition switch problem but the dealer keeps telling me it's the key fob battery. The first time my car would not start and the engine was dead. They replaced both key fobs 6 months ago and told me they were defective. This time when I pushed the button the engine made a screeching rattling sound, the engine light came on and the car would not turn off. Eventually it did and I tried it again and the same thing happened. The car was towed 30 miles to the dealer and they told me the key fob battery needed to be replaced. I asked the service technician if their computer showed that my engine light came on and he agreed but told me that they could not find the problem, other than the key fob battery. I told them both key fobs were new. I have only had this car for 3 years and it only has 11,605 miles on it. How on earth can a key fob cause engine problems" I may not be an expert on cars but I'm not stupid. I believe it may be something to do with the ignition. I hope Jeep fixes this before there are any accidents or deaths. I now feel I am forced to purchase an extended warranty for over $2,100 because I'm afraid of what might happen when my factory warranty expires next month. I don't think I would ever buy a new car again. The old ones seem more reliable. I am afraid to drive this car now, knowing it has electrical issues that the dealer can't seem to find the reasons why. Key fob battery" I find this very hard to accept. I would like the old key ignition - I don't trust these push button ignitions. My 2011 Jeep is still at the dealer but they have told me it's ready for pick up.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Jun 072013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that after numerous attempts the ignition started. The failure was intermittent and became progressively worse over a period. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the totally integrated control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Jun 112014

Grand Cherokee

I have tried to start my car several times with just continuous cranking. I called two different Jeep dealerships and they said they have never heard of this issue before. Yesterday, I was driving down the street at 55 mph with my 5 month old in the car after daycare- and my car just shut off while driving and I almost crashed into the person in front of me!!!! very scary. I had to swerve to miss the person in front of me because the brakes and car were not working- just completely shut off. I finally got it started again and got to a safe location. I then had it towed. I did some research to find that this is a very common issue with 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chrysler refuses to do a recall on this. Are they insane"!!! we could have been in a serious accident. If the car is not under warranty- the price to fix the issue is $1300+. I just purchased this car in November of 2013 because I thought it would be safe for me and my new baby. Now I have to dish out $1300 because of a faulty part that Chrysler refuses to fix" they are very aware of the tipm not performing on these models- please research all the forums that talk about this. There is already lawsuits pending. Please advise on what to do at this point. I do not have this kind of money to fix a car with 39000 miles on it. I will never purchase a Jeep or Chrysler again.

- Marietta, GA, USA