CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 17 of 24)

Aug 212014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I began having difficulties starting my vehicle about a week ago, the engine would continually turn over without actually starting (push button start). Each time I would have to press the start button multiple times and let the vehicle cycle through multiple failed attempts until the engine would finally start. However, this morning, after cycling through multiple attempts and getting the vehicle to start, the engine shut off while I was driving. After the engine shut off the dashboard read as if it was still running. I was unable to start the vehicle after that and had to push it out of the way (was luckily still in a parking lot).

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Aug 092014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the engine stalled. The contact mentioned that the key had to be turned numerous times before the engine restarted. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the integrated power module was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Linden , NJ, USA

Sep 252013

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle power shuts down while driving at highway speed, in any and all driving conditions. No power steering, no power brakes, no power, nothing. There is no warning when power goes out. Driver can be stranded in middle of freeway, or off-ramp, or busy intersection. Extremely dangerous. Worse than GM issue. Vehicle cannot be restarted without shifting into park. 2011 Jeep stall on 70mph freeway requires driver to shift into park before a re-start can be attempted (neutral will not allow rolling start). Extreme danger of high-speed rear end collision. Well documented issue on web 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee tipm. Recall is needed for this safety critical item. gotaclassaction.com/Chrysler-investigated-over-defective-totally-integrated-power-module-tipm-in-2011-2012-Jeep-grand-Cherokee-and-Dodge-durangos/

- Canton, MI, USA

Mar 032014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start when the push button starter was engaged. The vehicle would occasionally start after several attempts. The contact also noticed a burning smell when attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to diagnose or replicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,000.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Aug 112014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle was traveling on highway at 55 mph when it suddenly stalled in traffic. Could not restart after pushing to side of road. Towed to dealer and told that total integrated power module had failed and needed to be replaced.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 242014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I've been researching online of similar problems and it all point to the (tipm). My car does not start, and when it starts, it stalls right away. The truck even stalled while running, luckily I was going less than 35 mph with very little traffic, I could only imagine if this could have happened while I was driving on the freeway going like 60 mph. I drive with my wife, 2 children and a newborn and do not want to put their lives at risk because of this issue going on for a while and nobody seems to do anything about this. Now for some reason something is draining my battery, I already replaced 2 new batteries and the problem still persists. I cant take it to the dealer because its out of warranty and it seems to be too expensive to fix, and im someone that lives by every paycheck and still barely affords to pay this truck with a very serious issue. This really needs to get reported to Chrysler Jeep and needs to immediately be put on recall. My wife does not want to get on the Jeep Grand Cherokee anymore due to all of these issues and complaints going on. I just don't know who to go to.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Aug 092014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

On Saturday morning after pulling out of a parking space my car stalled and lost power steering. I put it in park and restarted engine it was fine. Went to other store, parked it and the same thing happened once I returned to leave. When I got home I shut off the ignition switch and after app. 8 seconds I heard a sound coming from behind the fuse box area or at least behind that area. Sounded electrical "vooop, vooop" I also noticed when going up an incline around 30 mph the car had a huge delay, I had to push the gas pedal practically to the floor, and than it kicked in and zoomed off. I felt like I was loosing power and than the car took off on its own! crazy feeling!!! I feel as though the computer that is in charge of the car is out of wrack and the car has become inconsistent to drive because of what could occur next. I also lost brakes this winter while driving due to brake booster failure which eventually became a recall. I was scared then and I'm afraid this incident may result in something bigger and worse. :(

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Jul 012014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Faulty tipm (totally integrated power module) caused the car to not start and/or stall after it was started.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 072014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The car will not start. The car will crank as if it is about to start and then will not start. After some time, it may start and then appears like fuel was not getting to the engine and then stall. Then when I try to start it again, it would not start. My mechanic tells me it is the tipm. Complaints with the tipm for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a well known issue. Feel free to look it up on various online forums. Even the service departments at the Jeep dealership knows that tipm is a common issue with the car. Please initiate a recall of the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee for this problem. The tipm controls the power / switching / communications amongst various parts of the car. It is extremely dangerous for anybody to drive this car with a faulty tipm. Thank you.

- Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Aug 052014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Several attempts were made throughout the day to start my 2011 grand Jeep Cherokee and it would not start, only a clicking noise. I took it to the dealer immediately and the tipm is bad and needs to be replaced. Obviously, my car is only 3 years old and not under warranty now. The part alone is over $900, which seems questionable that something would go bad so quickly on a vehicle and cost so much to repair. Besides the cost, there are so many complaints for the same issue, and even more serious with the engine cutting off while driving. Is someone going to recall this item before someone gets hurt or even killed"???" I purchased this vehicle, and all my previous Chrysler/Jeep vehicles thinking they were safe for my family; now I'm not so sure. Do the right thing and recall the tipm! in addition, I have made several attempts to get the brake booster repaired due to the recall and the parts are still not in. This has been going on for months now.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 172014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that it took multiple attempts to get the vehicle to start. The dealer stated that the total integrated control module failed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Oxon Hill , MD, USA

Jul 232014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Bad tipm, no voltage to fuel pump car wont start, car stalls on road. Not sure if air bags will work.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Jun 282014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The car will stall/won't turnover when you go to start it.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Aug 042014

Grand Cherokee

Our Jeep requires the totally integrated power module (tipm) to be replaced. This system starts the car. It is extremely unsafe for a motorist to be stranded without the vehicle being able to start.

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 022014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The tipa is defective and the fuel pump won't turn on, therefore my car is unable to start. I have to pay $1300 to repair this as the car is now out of warranty. I have done research and learning this is an extremely common defect in the Jeep.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Jul 272014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The Jeep would not start on the first try. It either cranks and cranks and never turns over, or it turns over but never reaches a good idle state and just shuts off. After a few attempts, it would finally start and be ok until the next time I leave it alone for an extended period. I believe the symptoms I am experiencing are the same as those that have been reporting a problem with the tipm, which seems to be a very pricey item that Jeep (Chrysler) knows is faulty and have done nothing about. Not to mention that it is also an item that is on national back order with a class action lawsuit filed as well.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Nov 072013

Grand Cherokee

When starting the Jeep, it made a violent shutter and would not completely start. After multiple attempts at trying to start and then stopping, the Jeep finally started successfully. I contacted the local Jeep dealer who stated that unless the stop engine light can on, which would give them a code to check, they would not be able to identify the problem. I mentioned issues with the tipm module that I had read about on the internet. They stated they were not aware of any issues. Beginning around July 15, 2014, the Jeep started doing the same thing again. Not every time when starting but progressively more often until on July 28, 2014, it would not start at all. After attempting for about 30 minutes, I was able to get the Jeep started and drove to the dealer for repair. This time they identified the tipm module as the problem, and that there was a need to wire an external relay around the module so that the fuel pump received power. This is clearly a manufacturing defect since it is affecting so many cars and Jeep needs to announce a recall to fix this defect and also to reimburse owners who have had repairs made.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Jul 252014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When trying to start my Jeep on Friday 7/25 I found that when I push the start button the vehicle would not turn over. It would engage and attempt to turn over but would not start. I tested the battery and it read to be normal and upon further review I found many other consumers had the same problem, the vehicle would randomly not start. This happens to me about once a month since we purchased it in March of 2014. I've read from others there is an issue with the tipm which will cause the vehicle to not start or completely stall out while driving which did occur one time to me in June on a trip from Ohio to Maryland!

- Essex, MD, USA

Jul 202014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The engine will crank but will not turnover. It appears that it is not getting fuel. After research on the internet, we identified the tipm issue. I tested the fuel pump relay and it is not reliably sending power to the fuel pump. The relay cannot be individually replaced, the whole tipm needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Jul 182014

Grand Cherokee

Tipm computer board/module defect...known defect to the manufacturer (poor part product with high chance of failure). Jeep stalled out on road several times with kids in car...part is on a national backorder and still no recall for owners.

- Lakeland, FL, USA