Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 19 of 24)

Jan 022014

Grand Cherokee

The problem we had was generally with starting the vehicle. The problem has been intermittent over several weeks, seeming to be more of a problem in colder weather. The engine spun but would not start. In other words, the engine attempted to start, sometimes cranking continuously, until it timed out without starting. With time and frequency, we became more concerning that we would be stranded in an undesirable situation. After reading numerous posts on this website,, we were almost certain we had a defective tipm. We took it to a dealer and they indicated it had a fuel relay short internally in the tipm. They suggested a wiring workaround, installing an external fuel pump relay and bypassing the defective tipm. Perhaps this is better than improvising, but we do not know the risks this carries -- the wiring workaround and the still defective tipm -- for going forward. Additionally, we hope there would be a recall of the tipm and reimbursement for the wiring workaround in our future.

- Moulton, TX, USA

Aug 202013

Grand Cherokee

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee tipm. Engine wont start. Have seen nothing but complaints online.something needs to be done.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 062014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Vehicle refused to turn over, service 4X4 and engine light on. Brought to dealer replaced fuel pump. Returned to me with service 4X4 and engine light on, slid down on hill no 4 wheel drive. Returned to dealer 4 weeks later transfer case replaced car jump into 4 wheel low while I was on highway almost put me thru windshield. Back at dealer over 1 week the do not know the problem and stated no one on their country wide database has this problem. I was told today that Jeep headquarters wants all reports sent to them to assist repair. I purchased this car used in October and have not driven it more then 1 week. I have a huge payment and huge rental bills I did file a case with Jeep customer but no help.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Dec 092013

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle randomly will not start until several attempts of cranking are made. Keyless enter-N-go will not work randomly. Horn will start honking randomly during starting problems.

- Perry, GA, USA

Jan 142014

Grand Cherokee

The Grand Cherokee was sitting at a reconditioning stage at my dealership while workers began to smell smoke coming from the front of the vehicle. A small fire had begun at the fuse box. Immediately, the workers extinguished the fire and disconnected the battery terminals. Some fuses were melted and the connections underneath the fuse box were melted. The fuse box is damaged beyond repair and it may need new harnesses. I'm currently working with Chrysler to investigate the cause and the next step to repair.

- Stafford, TX, USA

Jan 042014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee I have been experiencing problems with my truck stalling while on the road and problems with it turning on. At times I would not hear my fuel pump turn on and even when I would hear it run my truck would still fail to completely turn on. My vehicle has had this problem for a year or so. I had experienced this problem in the past with the stalling and upon taking it to the dealer ship I was told that they could not duplicate the problem and that my vehicle was fine. Several months later my vehicle continued to have the same issue but since the dealership informed me that this was normal I continued on. None the less a few days ago I experienced a problem at work where my truck did not turn on. Luckily after 4 hours of attempting to turn it on it finally did I drove it home the next day in the morning it did not start up again. I had to have it towed to the dealership they informed me that it was the tipm and it was covered under the extended warranty that I had purchased but I would still have to pay $100 for the deductible for the warranty. I am beyond livid and upset with these new findings that this is a common and known issue. My wife and myself have matching 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee's and now I am just waiting for the same thing to happen to her! this is ridiculous!!! when will there be a recall!!!

- San Pablo, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Due to a faulty tipm the car will randomly not start/stall stranding the driver. It has been to the dealership twice with no resolution.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Dec 272013

Grand Cherokee

Driving on interstate check engine light came on. Vehicle shutters at stop. Set appointment for dealer. Dealer tested system. Report states multiple in multiple modules, low voltage battery failed test, must be replaced. Dealer charged for new battery, and multiple module updates. Reprogrammed PCM, tipm, power lift gate, wireless control module, and final drive controller. Vehicle has been out of shop less than a week. Check engine light is back on must be taken in for repair again.

- Atlanta , GA, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Cherokee

2011 Jeep Cherokee grand. I have 50,000 miles on it. It has stalled and is not consistently starting up. Tipm has gone bad.

- Hampstead, NC, USA

Dec 172013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Purchased a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 from moore auto sales in moore, Oklahoma on Nov. 16, 2013 and have had problems with it since the 17th. The Jeep was having trouble starting and if it did start, the fuel pump would run after we shut the vehicle off. Would have to pull the fuse to the fuel pump to turn it off, now after a month of dealing with this is will not start at all, it will just turn over. Jeep says it is most likely a faulty tipm core, but they are back ordered to who knows when! very frustrated!

- Haven, KS, USA

Dec 132013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Headliner caught fire, origin appears to be near passenger vanity mirror base... updated 08-20-14 updated 08/25/2014

- Columbia, MO, USA

Dec 032013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle fails to start multiple times. Turned off while backing up multiple times. It is currently on a Jeep service dealer, they indicated failure on the "tipm" module. The replacement is on backorder, with no specific date for arrival and installation.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Dec 102013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I have owned a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee since may of this year. This past week my wife began have trouble getting the Jeep started. Yesterday morning, it took her 45 minutes to get the Jeep started. She left work around noon to run an errand and ended up stuck in a parking lot in freezing temperatures for over an hour trying to get the vehicle started. Only after I called my insurance company for a tow truck, did the vehicle finally start. She drove it to the dealership where they diagnosed a faulty tipm. The service representative then proceeded to tell me that it would be a $1500 repair. After doing some research and discovering that this is a common issue with this model year I call Jeep costumer service yesterday and again today and received the same answer. There is nothing they could do to help. This is unacceptable.

- Stephens City, VA, USA

Dec 082013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Had intermittent issues with the key. The key wasn't being recognized by the vehicle. Still occurs once in a while. I have to remove the key from the case and slide it back in. It usually works after that. Recently when starting the Jeep. After pushing the start button the engine will crank repeatedly but not turn over. All my gauges work. The vehicle will still lock and unlock. The lights work in accessories. The Jeep will turn over sometimes. The problem is intermittent.

- Waianae , HI, USA

Nov 262013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2011 Jeep Cherokee, problems with cranking and fuel pump not shutting off sometimes when vehicle is off. Vehicle is not starting properly but will start after several tries. Then the fuel pump will continue to run when the vehicle is off. Dealership stated it is a faulty relay switch built into the tipm (totally integrated power module) so you have to replace the entire tipm at the cost of 1,000 for the part. And, the part is not available at the moment, on national back order. Hundreds others are having this problem. Fuel pump could just cut off at any moment because of a $10 relay switch that is built into the tipm. This should be a recalled item due to faulty switch inside the tipm that is leaving hundreds of people stranded without a vehicle while they wait on a single part for weeks!

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 272013

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle fails to start multiple times. Came close to stalling a few times. Same symptoms as mentioned by many with the tipm module. I believe this to be a very important safety issue as well as financially and emotionally. No warning as to when and where the problems can arise.

- Republic, MO, USA

Oct 022013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4, purchased new in October 2010. I experienced difficultly in starting vehicle, problem persisted and became worse. Dealership indicated bad fuel pump, replaced at a cost of $1,000 +. starting problem persisted and again back too dealership. Diagnosis this time was bad starter module (tipm unit) cost $1,000 + and I was told that the part was on "extreme" back order and they could not even give me an estimate on the arrival date. I was also informed that the bad tipm had created an electrical short that had led to the initial failure of the fuel pump. Present: Eight (8) weeks have passed and no part available and a vehicle sitting in my driveway gathering the leaves of the change of the season. I have been a loyal Jeep owner for the past 25 years with at least seven (7) vehicles. This one is the most problem plagued vehicle of them all, with major electrical/computer problems. I did not list all the problems (electrical and other wise ) that occurred in the first 36,000 miles for thankfully they were cover by warranty. I must say I will hard pressed to purchase another Chrysler (Jeep) product in the future. This one has to be towed into the dealership to be repaired (new tipm) before I can drive it to another dealership and hope for a good trade in!!!

- Greenville, SC, USA

Nov 202013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Inability to start vehicle or jump vehicle to start. Required tow to dealership. Electrical problem not correctly diagnosed, starting failure attributed to battery. Same issue after replacement of battery. Required second tow to dealership. Problem now diagnosed as (tipm) total integrated power module. $1400 (estimate) to replace tipm, however dealership stated that this tipm is a nationswide problem and they could not give me an estimate as to when part may be available. Awaiting decision by dealership to provide me with rental vehicle.

- Denver, CO, USA

Aug 152013

Grand Cherokee

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee suddenly failed to start reliably. Especially after sitting overnight, it would take multiple attempts to start. Initially, the Jeep dealership service department failed to diagnose the problem. Eventually after dealing with this "fail to start" situation for a month, the dealer diagnosed that the totally integrated power module (tipm) needed to be replaced. The problem began just days after the warranty expired. Replacement part needed to be paid for up-front ($932.40) through the dealership. 33 days later, the part still has not arrived and vehicle continues to be unreliable.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 082013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle doesn't start until several attempts.............. remote key doesn't unlock until several attempts.

- Gonzales, TX, USA