CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Sep 232013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that he depressed the start button, but the vehicle failed to start. He had to depress the button several times before it would respond. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the total integrated power module would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 59,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 172013

Grand Cherokee

Tried to start the Jeep in the morning and it would crank but not turn over and start. Called the Jeep dealership and had it towed in. After they checked it they said a tipm unit went bad and may take days to months to get a new one and would cost $1300. The vehicle is under 3 years old and I found several hundred other persons having the exact same problem in different states. I would request an inquiry into this issue and see if a formal recall is in order. Thank you in advance for any help you could provide.

- Goddard, KS, USA

Sep 152013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the tipm module malfunctioned, causing the vehicle not to start. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer to have the part replaced. The dealer stated the part was on back order. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Toms River , NJ, USA

Sep 052013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2 weeks ago my car would not start, did get it started, took to dealer ship. Its apparently the timp module. This part is on back order I was told it would be in this week its not and they are not sure. It take a few tries to get it started. And twice it stalled while driving. And its making a knocking. May I add this started at 36600. Miles.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Sep 022013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The contact stated that the engine rpms increased and the vehicle failed to switch gears. The failure was recurring and caused the engine to stall. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure at the transmission park neutral module. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer advised the contact that the transmission module was on back order. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 56,310. The VIN was not available.

- North Lauderdale , FL, USA

Sep 062013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My 2011 overland began hesitating while driving on Friday 9/6. was able to return home safely. Turned off the engine and then was unable to restart the vehicle. Had the vehicle taken to a local dealership and was told that the tipm module had failed which Chrysler is aware of the faulty part and has already changed manufacturers. I was told due to a back order the dealerships are limited to ordering only one module per week and therefore no eta could be given for my vehicle's repairs. I called the Chrysler corporate offices and was told that they would attempt to expedite the part and I could rent a car and submit my bill for "possible" reimbursement. This is a failure on a number of levels that a company that is now flush with cash again due to a gov't bailout has the parts to crank out new vehicles but will leave paying customers with no information other than to "be patient". I will not attempt to buy american again. Back to Acura I go!

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Sep 022013

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle cranks but does not starts. Part not available. Dealer claims is in national backorder. Vehicle was towed to dealer and diagnosed as a defective total integrated power module. Other 17 similar vehicles waiting for same part at Chrysler Jeep dealer repair shop.

- Toa Baja, PR, USA

Aug 132013

Grand Cherokee

Started having problems starting my Jeep on August 13th 2013. I travel to all parts of the city and in some cases find myself in areas that you would most certainly not want to be stranded...by the end of the day, I found myself in a bad part of town and the vehicle would not turn over...took about 25 minutes to final start and I got it home. The next morning, the same problem. When I finally got it started, I took it directly to the dealership....there it has been for almost 4 weeks w/ no real solution in sight..I am told it may be the tipm"?? and that this part may not even be available through a 2nd or 3rd party manufacturer that may be going out of business?? where does chryseler stand on this??? sounds like this is a hugfe issue that is cropping up and nobody has any answers for the how many thousands of consumers w/ the same issue?? I pray it doesn't put someone in a compromising position wherein they are injured by circumstance through this issue or stranded w/ a health condition that leads to something more??"

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 162012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Diagnosed as tipm problem (totally integrated power module) car initially had problems with headlamps and wipers malfunctioning, then ignition wouldn't turn over and then when it finally did the car could not be turned off! brought car straight to Jeep dealer after it wouldn't turn off and was told it was tipm. They said part was back ordered over a month and car can not be driven in the meantime. This is a huge consumer problem across the country with multiple model Jeep and several model years. The part is impossible to get and I was even told a boat sank and that it why it is back ordered nationally for months. Looking at other consumer complaints online this should be a recall. Cars are not able to be driven and people are waiting months for the part.

- Weston, CT, USA

Jul 222013

Grand Cherokee

Went to start my Jeep after it sat for a few hours and noticed extended cranking. It did fire up and I drove 65 miles to the gym. Same extended cranking issue when I got out the gym an hour later, but eventually, started and I made it home. Did this one more time few days later and the first Monday in August it wouldn't start when I went to leave for work in the morning. Took my wife's vehicle O work and she tried it a few hours later and it fired right up. Brought to local shop to have them look at it since they can service my extended warranty. After a few days there I was notified that it was he tipm and the part we on order, but was on national back order from Jeep and I was number 141 in line waiting for one. As of today, 9/3/14, still no part and still no estimated delivery of said tipm. I have not been able to drive the Jeep since then because it is unreliable transportation and my job requires me to travel up to 300 miles per day. Have now made two payments on a vehicle I can't use.

- River Ridge, LA, USA

Sep 172011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph when the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but was not repaired. The technician stated that because the check engine lamp was not illuminated, the vehicle could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 152013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the engine module would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 59,600.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 092012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

On the weekend of 6/9/12, my vehicle began giving starting problems and shutting down while driving. The dealerships service department was closed so I had to wait until Monday 6/11/12. I made several attempts on that day to have the vehicle checked out but the service department kept giving me a run around. The vehicle spent the night at the dealership and was checked the following day. I received a call that my vehicle is ready and was informed that a flash was done and a new computer had to be ordered that's why the check engine light is on. Left the dealership and the vehicle shut off once again while driving and when I attempted to restart it was giving the hard start once again. On 6/16/12 the vehicle was fully un-operational and had to be towed to the dealership. It sat there until the part arrived and was installed. On 6/21/12 I picked it up once again it's suppose to be working great because the computer was replaced. Less than an hour later it did not want to start again. I carried it back down on 6/22/12 and on the way there the vehicle shut down. Later that day found out another part had to be ordered. 6/29/12 my vehicle was ready again and said to be working great and it was because the hard start problem was fixed but the shutting down was not fixed because it occurred once again on 7/1/13 and has been happening constantly for over a year.

- Christiansted, VI, USA

Jul 062011

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but they were unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 641.

- Bay City , MI, USA

Aug 042013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Multiple issues. It began with the key less remote entry not working properly, not opening or locking the car. I then began to notice the car would unlock itself overnight (luckily it is kept in a garage). Moving forward, when I would put the key in the ignition, the car would start, I would then put the car in reverse, and it would immediately shut off, all power gone. I would have to slam the car into park and try again. Most recently, I will put the key in the ignition and turn the car on, unfortunately, the car never turns on, it idles in the ignition phase just before it turns on.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

Sep 192011

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I bought a 2011 Grand Cherokee from shave Jeep in thousand oaks, ca. The vehicle started to malfunction within days after purchase. It would seize up, usually at highway speed, stall out, thus losing power steering and brakes. I brought the car in for service about 8 times until I almost got hit by a big rig on the highway at night when my car died. The constant engine light reading was a camshaft position sensor. Chrysler techs attempted to resolve the problem without any luck. Unfortunately the dealer swapped out cars with me and I found out they sold this vehicle without telling the new owners of the major mechanical problems.

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

May 112013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Engine starts after key fob is bumped. My garage is inside my house. We could die from carbom monoxide poising reported to dealership they said nothing could be done.maybe my attorney can do something.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 012012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that at engine start-up. The check engine warning light illuminated, causing the vehicle to hesitate to start. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous for the failure and a diagnostic was performed that was unable to locate a failure. The dealer replaced the starter cylinder however, the failure was not corrected. The check engine warning light continued to illuminate and flash sporadically. The failure mileage was 16,000 and the current mileage was 25,000. Updated 12/06/12 the dealer replaced the cam sensor, fuel pump, cylinder head and ignition switch. The replacement of the fuel pump, did not resolve the issue. Updated 12/06/12

- Alderson , WV, USA

May 312012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee has exhibited multiple instances of sudden unintended acceleration (sua). It has occurred to my wife, one of our sons who is and aerospace engineer and myself on different days at different speeds and locations. I personally have experienced it on two occasions, one of which caused a minor accident as I was backing out of a parking space, with my foot on the brake put the car in drive and it lunged forward of its own Accord, there were two other people in the car and a witness outside the car who reported it just lunged and the brake lights were still on. Chrysler inspected the car, found nothing and has closed the case. I called Chrysler and asked that we discuss the issue they said they found noting, fixed noting and thus the case is closed. So they are calling three people bold face liars and my concern is they did not find anything so the cause of the problem still exists and can happen again and my wife is at risk every time she gets in the car. There are over 1,000 complaints on various forums about sua instances on Jeep Cherokee, channel 7 news even did a segment on it a few years back. Can you please help at all on this issue? thank you.

- Lafayette, CA, USA