CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

7.3

1. replaced cylinder head (7 reports)
  3. dealer reset computer (2 reports)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Mar 192012

Grand Cherokee LX 3.2L V6

Bought a brand new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee from White Plains dealership in October 2011. We came all the way from Massachusetts to buy it in New York because they had the exact color and options we wanted and had the best price. Around 13,000 miles (March 2012) check engine light came on brought it into local dealership said "the computer needed to be reset." Picked up car, once again check engine light came on, brought into same local mass dealer and said my brand new 5 month old car's cylinder #4 was misfiring and needed a left front Cor engine head (major engine work) and would take 15 hours of labor to complete! Car was in shop for nine days. Picked up car, once again check engine light came on the next day, brought back to dealership and was told " car needs a catalytic converter!

I contacted White Plains to let them know what was going on. They were sorry that I was having problems. Granted, Chrysler paid for work to be done but I had no car to go to work for over two weeks because I didn't buy an extended warranty and a $30,000 dollar car that couldn't pass inspection and illegal to drive on road because of carbon emissions coming out of tail pipe.

Got car back yesterday, so far no check engine light on. Have now purchased an extended warranty because through research have found out that several other 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokees are having similar engine problems. It appears to be some design flaw from factory. Be aware that if you run into problems with your car, Chrysler/Jeep doesn't want to know you unless your car meets every aspect of New York Lemon Law and the White Plains Dealership will not compensate you for selling you a defective car that has been in shop 12 days in the last month and have had no way to get to work.

Granted the dealership did not build the car but where is the allegiance to their customers and they should back up the products that they sell. There is a Uniform Commercial Code Summary in the U.S. that states " For a majority of people the purchase of a new car is a major investment, rationalized by the peace of mind that flows from it's dependability and safety. Once their faith has been shaken, the vehicle loses not only its real value in their eyes, but becomes an instrument whose integrity is substantially impaired and whose operation is fraught with apprehension." Consumers beware. "

- , Gloucester, MA, USA

Apr 032013

Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6L Penestar

I have taken this car to 3 different repair shops for the rough running engine with the check engine light. After new spark plugs and wires and a reset of the computer, no change to the code which said problem with # 3 cylinder. I dread taking it to a dealer for fear they will rip me off with a head replacement or some other nonsense. This is a new car that should not have these kinds of problems.

Chrysler builds defective vehicles and then sticks the consumer with the bill. That's why they went bankrupt. I will never own another one

- , La Mesa, CA, USA

Sep 272012

Grand Cherokee Overland 3.5L

My check engine light came on today, I drove 35 miles for them to tell me I need to replace my cylinder head. I should note this happened to my neighbor as well.

- , Tyngsboro, Massachusetts, USA

Jun 012013

Grand Cherokee 70th Anniversary 3.2L V6

Took my Jeep in on 06/01/2013 for check engine light and running rough. well my Jeep is still in service as of 06/19/2013. Dealership replaced head and something do with exhaust, received a call on 06/17/2013 that my Jeep was ready but when I got there and started it up check engine light was on AGAIN so it was not fixed, had to leave it there!! I called jeep customer relations office and let me tell you they NO help at all. I got a call from the dealership today 06/19/2013 that there was no tech to look at my Jeep so they have not found out why the check engine light is still on. I am beyond PISSED now. I called Jeep customer relations again and ask for them to transfer my Jeep to another dealership and they informed me it would be at my cost!! PLEASE if anyone has any advise on what my next step should be please let me know. I am shaking I am so mad!

- , Texas City, TX, USA

Oct 142012

Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L V6

Guys please be careful with going only on external appearances and marketing techniques (I am not implying the first reviews made by auto magazines as they get only a “first impression” point of view). I am based in Dubai and bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) 2011 in July 2011 and was very impressed by it. I even went around promoting the product to my friends and family so much that even my brother in Australia bought a new one. Moreover I was even planning for a Dodge charger as my next car. My best buddy too has almost booked a new Jeep GC 2012. Unfortunately it has lived to its reputation of very poor reliability. I have been experiencing software and GPS issues from day one. The pad of the parking break came off in 5 months’ time and dealer said it was not covered under the warranty clause and I had to pay for it. Luckily for me the service consultant gave me such a shoddy service that the charge for the same was written off as a measure to compensate for the inconvenience caused to me. (I do not want to give details of the same as it was addressed by the service manager) I took the vehicle on an Oman trip (no off-roading and I have never used it for off-roading) around 6 months after buying the car and it wouldn’t start after doing an uphill (again on good tarred road.)I had taken it to the dealer and they said everything is ok. Now the vehicle has developed some engine issues as the Engine fault light (also called as MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light)) comes on. I cannot understand how a new vehicle can have so many issues? I have been perfect with its service and have allowed only the authorised dealer to even touch it. The dealer technicians cannot seem to find what the issue is with and had reset the computers so that the MIL light goes off. Yesterday the light came back on. Worst of all is I am left without a vehicle for all these days and they refuse to give a spare vehicle. I had also called Chrysler Middle East who promised to get back on the issue but with no luck (they did not even call back). The car spent 3 days at the work shop and I guess it is only fair that I am given a replacement car. The warranty conditions in the US covers this factor wherein the dealer should arrange a replacement car (if the car develops issues during the warranty period and KM limit). This clause unfortunately has been conveniently removed for the Middle East. I even searched the net on the same and came across lots of negative feedback on Jeep GC (the new model) at American forums where they are more transparent. I really wish reliability issues were brought up so that other buyers are not caught off-guard after shelling out so much money for a product that only looks good. I honestly regret for not having gone for a Pajero or a Japanese car. This is the first time I ventured for an American vehicle and I consider it the biggest follies of my life (by the way I used to own a Mitsubishi Pajero which I sold to buy the Jeep). So much of American tax payers ‘money has gone to revive the Chrysler Group and I think the people of America deserve more dedication from this group to upkeep the reputation and trust of the consumers towards American products (especially cars), in the international market. Another warning; please do not go by what the sales persons at the Trading Enterprises say as they are extremely economical in the “truthfulness” area. To all aspiring Jeep owners, my suggestion is to do a research on the net before buying this vehicle.

- , Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Aug 162012

Grand Cherokee Laredo V6

really disappointed! we don't expect this kind of problem with a new car!

- , Montreal, QC, canada

Aug 122012

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6L

I just picked up this CPO 2011 JGC Laredo three days ago and drove around maybe 300 miles. All of a sudden, the check engine light comes on. Did not expect something like that to happen this soon. Since it was a sunday, took it to the Pepboys and got it diagnosed, I was told that cylinder #2 is misfiring. Is this a common problem that all cherokee's having? seems like there are way too many complaints out there.

Hopefully this is covered under warranty, I am going to take it to the dealership in the next day or two and hopefully they will be able to fix it without any major issues.I really love this car and would hate to tell myself that i made the wrong decision in buying this car.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 292012

Grand Cherokee

A week before my check engine light came on, I started noticing that when the car was stopped at a red light, stop sign, etc., the car seemed to shudder and act like it was going to stall. I had my husband drive it, and he noticed it too. So, we were planning on taking it to the shop the weekend after the super busy weekend we had coming up. Well, it didn't make it. On Wednesday, as I was on the freeway driving to work, a light popped on and the car dinged. I just about jumped out of my skin. I made it to work, and took a picture of the light and texted it to my husband. He texted back that it was the "Check Engine" light and to take to the dealership after work. So I did, and after about a half hour, the service person came and told me that the "second cylinder was misfiring". I asked her if I could keep it until the weekend and she said she strongly did not recommend it. So, with my 6 year old in tow, we pulled everything out of the car and waited for Enterprise to come and get us. Then we spend another half hour waiting for the car they wanted to give us because it was at the car wash. Finally we were able to go home. I waited two days for Vicki to call me, but she didn't, so I called her. Of course when I called, she said that she was just in the service manager's office talking about my car and that they just put a call into Chrysler and that it would be 2-3 days before they would hear back from them. So, we went about our days. Again, I received no phone call from Vicki letting me know the status on Monday or Tuesday, so on Wednesday, I called her and she said, "Oh, your car is just about done. You can pick it up tomorrow morning." I told her I wouldn't be able to until the afternoon, and she said that that would be great so she could get it "all cleaned up for me.' Well, after being told to go to Enterprise to drop off the rental, and then having the girl there tell me she can't leave because she is by herself and to go ahead and take to the dealership, I was able to pick up my beautiful car. Imagine how disappointed I was when the thing wasn't even cleaned, but I was so frustrated, I just wanted to get out of there. Anyway, the paperwork read like this: Excessive exhaust valve guides at #2 cylinder burnt valves and seats. Performed compression test #2 cylinder at 90 PSI all other at 150PSI. Performed tear down for inspection. Found #2 cylinder with excessive play at exhaust guides and burnt seats. Replace LT side cylinder head, gaskets, and reset to spects. What mess! I am so disappointed that my $41,000 car that I've only had 9 months had such a big problem. And, to top it off, the dealership was not that warm and enduring. It's a beautiful car, but we will probably never buy another Jeep again. I hope this helps someone who is out there with the same problem. Have them check the 2nd cylinder! Good luck!

- , Corona, CA, USA

Feb 202012

Grand Cherokee Overland V6

Engine light came on my new Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with PentaStar V6 engine, then it started running rough. Dealer says it needs a new cylinder head and I will have it back in a few days. Here's hoping this is the last entry I need to make. I like the vehicle otherwise, except I notice an occasional differential slip the dealer can't find.

- , Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Sep 192011

Grand Cherokee Loredo 3.6L V6

Wow, check engine light on cylinder 2 on another Jeep deja vu. Picked up the Jeep on 9/19 in the shop since 9/20. Still waiting on the solution. Sounding like a design issue.

Update from Sep 30, 2011: The dealership has been working hard with Chrysler on this issue and have run a ton of tests and checks. I can't fault them a bit. In fact I probably would have given up by now. The latest is they will be replacing the entire cylinder head. Original plan from Chrysler was to re-machine. That has changed to replacement.

Update from Oct 14, 2011: Picked up the Jeep this week and the engine light is now off. From looking over the tech notes they swapped the plugs and coils around and the issues remained in cylinder #2, loss of pressure. New head was ordered with all new gaskets the head was machined and installed. Keeping my fingers crossed.

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

May 012011

Grand Cherokee LX

engine light and traction control light came on while driving. took to deal and they reset computer chip or something. hasn't come on since.

- , Pottstown, PA, USA

Sep 012011

Grand Cherokee Outlander V6

I took my Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland for the second time to the dealer, regarding the engine light being on.

The first time they neglected to investigate properly.

The second time, they removed the engine head and sent out for machining. This was done following the guidance of the Chrysler tech support.

In speaking to the mechanic, he indicated that the intake valve was burning ?? which it does not make to much sense to me. If an engine head is being machined, it would be a fair assumption to make that the sealing surfaces, either to the valves or engine block are not proper.

This may be a defect of this new engine designed by Chrysler that after running for a period of time it develops enough deflection to improperly seal.

The mechanic also mentioned that in order to avoid this problem again, we should use gasoline with a higher octane levels than 87.

- , Mississauga, ON, canada

May 192011

Grand Cherokee Lorado V6

Car still in the shop for the fifth time for check engine light on, Has been there for ten days now, and they don't keep us up to date on what they are doing. Just called and the dealership is still waiting for the tool to do the compression test on the #2 cylinder. Called Chrysler---no help there. Looks good for the lemon law!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a $37000 car they gave us a $2000 car for a loner.

Update from Aug 10, 2011: My 2011 Grand Cherokee is going on seven weeks at the dealer for the check engine light on.Now they are changing the cylinder head on the car on the no2 side because this is the next step Chrysler told them to do. This is a joke, brand new car in the garage going on seven weeks!!!

Update from Oct 13, 2011: Have been to dealer four time"s and they still don't know why the engine light keeps coming on and engine runs alittle rough. They told me to come pick it up while they order some gaskets so they can do some more testing to see whats wrong. They had it for two days now and the engine light is still on and they don"t want to do anything untill they get the gasket which I have to drive the car three more days and bring it back a fifth time.I guess they are takeing the heads off. I feel the car should stay there untill it is fix! I am going to go there today and tell them I want a loaner car and I don"t want the car back until it is fix, they have set up appt. for there convenience. Now I"m sick of that, I"m going to tell them what I want!

- , Monson, MA, USA

Dec 152010

Grand Cherokee LX V6

engine light went on - car lurching-coughing and then the light began flashing...PIA!! I have barely driven this car and already in the shop -supposedly fixed and picked up next day engine light off -

see next complaint