NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Page 2 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 232016

Grand Cherokee

I cut my thumb & scraped a knuckle on some very sharp trim around the top of the cup holder when I reached inside it in a parking lot. The bottom of the trim had pulled away from the side and was protruding at an angle in more than one spot inside the cup holders. I took the car back to the dealership where I had purchased it less than one month prior to the incident. They said the entire piece which included the cup holders, tray, & gear shift would have to be replaced for $500 and I would have to pay for it since the extended warranty I had paid $2500 for did not cover it. So I not only got injured, but I'm stuck with the bill and cannot even work with my special needs client until it gets replaced since I can't put him in a dangerous situation. This Jeep only had 28,232 miles on it and was in good shape when I bought it on 1/25/16, so this never should have happened. If the cup holders could have been removed and replaced separately, it would have saved me a lot of money and taken a lot less time for the mechanics to replace them. This was not the kind of quality I expected for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Feb 112016

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle stalls, losses power and the engine dies in the apex of cornering between 30-40 mph. Gas tank has been half full to full on every event. Vehicle has been owned for over 2 years with this occurring 6 times that have been documented. When the vehicle 'dies' the power steering and power brakes both fail causing an extreme hazard. Vehicle has been to dealer upon each documented occurrence. Dealer is 'unable to replicate' so therefore unable to assist. Manufacturer has been contacted numerous times with the same result.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Jan 152016

Grand Cherokee

I was approaching a stop sign and had my foot on the brake, the vehicle accelerated and it felt as if I had no pressure in the gas pedal. I was able to stop and pulled over. At first, thinking this was a scary, isolated incidence, I drove on the three blocks to the grocery store. At the grocery store, I stopped in the parking lot to let another vehicle pull out and a woman cross from her car to the store. The engine revved up and the vehicle accelerated forward from a dead stop. I threw it in neutral and used my E-brake to stop the car. I was terrified that I could have run over a pedestrian. I walked from the store to the dealership and they picked up my vehicle. I told them to keep it until they solve this issue. I do not feel safe to drive it and am seriously afraid that someone could be seriously injured or killed. The first time, my foot was on the brake and the car was still moving very slowly forward when the acceleration occurred. The second time, I was at a dead stop with the foot on the brake when the acceleration occurred. My vehicle remains in the shop at this time but I will follow up with whatever they find.

- Staunton, IL, USA

Jan 082016

Grand Cherokee

This is the second time this has happened, but while making a turn, my power steering quits working and I am unable to do anything. I can't push the brakes or gas and it just stops. Both times, I have put it in park and hit the start button. The car starts back up fine. It's very scary and dangerous, especially if you are in traffic.

- Calhoun, GA, USA

Dec 242015

Grand Cherokee

While driving heard a loud (cluck noise) ( smoke everywhere) parked looked under hood, saw that clamp broke that was holding radiator hose causing it to drop hitting the fan, ruptured hose causing vehicle to smoke! I know I'm not the first person that this happens to with this vehicle, this needs to be recalled!!!!

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 212015

Grand Cherokee

My car will stall and then accelerate very quickly. If I am driving and trying to accelerate my car will stall almost cutting off. This usually happens around a speed of 25/30 mile per hour. I also experienced deceleration while driving on the highway at 60/65 mph. This is very scary. Also when I am in reverse my transmission makes a knocking sound. My engine light constantly comes on. Heat vapors comes from the hood of the car.

- Columbi, MD, USA

Oct 312015

Grand Cherokee

We were driving last Saturday, we were driving onto a busy main street the car was in motion, another made a illegal move and swireved into our vehicle, we honked but the horn wouldn't work. We stopped the vehicle. The other driver apologized with a wave of their hand. We started to drive again, trying to use the horn with no success. About 15 later the horn started to sound. The horn has stopped and started. This vehicle has had numerous recalls.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 032014

Grand Cherokee

I was out driving from the grocery store and I was pressing on the breaks to turn a curve the vehicle speeded up. I was originally going 25 mph and started to slow up because I was approaching a curve but instead of it slowing down it sped up to 35mph while going around a curve. Thank god no one else was on the road at that time. Two weeks later my husband stated that when he was driving the vehicle the same exact then happened to him. At that time we took the vehicle back to gilman Chrysler and Jeep in houston tx where we purchased the vehicle from (8/10/14). They claim they tested the vehicle and found nothing wrong with it. My husband and I kept explaining to the service guy that something is wrong with the vehicle and we don't want to get into an accident for an issue that can be resolved. The service guy stated that they did all they could but they will keep our information on file. I am very upset with this situation. My husband and I have three children in which are in this vehicle all the time. There have been several recalls on this vehicle and none of which have been repaired because gilman Chrysler would state they don't have the part or they don't see a recall at this time. I want something to be done about this now before something terrible happens. I will not let this situation go. I will continue to fight for a resolution until someone resolves it. Please contact me immediately about this situation as this is the only vehicle that we have.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Jul 272015

Grand Cherokee

Water sloshing sound on start stop. Sounds like it is under the driver's seat. Brought to the dealer and they said lots of water was in the floorpan under the drivers seat. They think it is coming from outside via the heater box. It is not a clogged ac tube because they checked that

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jun 262015

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle was put in the shop for three recalls and when I picked it up the vehicle was still in the shops pick up bay and would not start. They kept the vehicle for one week and could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle was picked up on June 29, 2015, and it started. On July 6, 2015, the vehicle started to do the same thing it did not start. I called Chrysler the operator said that I had to have it towed to the shop ourisman Chrysler Dodge and to have them look at the vehicle. I started the same ticket that I had before. The vehicle did not have this problem until I had the recalls done. I have to have the vehicle towed into the shop.

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

Jun 252015

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle was put in the shop for three recalls and when I picked it up the vehicle was still in the shops pick up bay and would not start. They kept the vehicle for one week and could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle was picked up on June 29, 2015, and it started. On July 6, 2015, the vehicle started to do the same thing it did start. I called Chrysler the operator said that I had to have it towed to the shop ourisman Chrysler Dodge and to have them look at the vehicle. I started the same ticket that I had before. The vehicle did not have this problem until I had the recalls done.

- Oxon Hill, MD, USA

Jun 162015

Grand Cherokee

A tractor-trailer labelled with enterprise rent a car signage with one sign on the door labelled B unit home delivery parked illegally at lucas and 13th St was blocking both garage openings for my building, the bogen. The driver could easily have pulled up but was obviously too lazy. Apparently the driver had remained in the vehicle the entire time but was too distracted to notice that he was in the way. When the lumper came out with his dolly. Instead of instructing the driver to move out of the way, he calmly put away his dolly and told me to get back into my car as they would be leaving in a moment. When I asked him the name of the company, he refused to answer. I then noticed the vehicle had no rear tag (license or dot number) at all. As I followed the truck around the corner so that I could finally get onto tucker, I saw the the driver in his mirror, laughing. I find nothing funny about such irresponsible behavior and suspect that this company has no rear identification so that they cannot be identified if they cause damage or do other reckleess things.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Mar 102015

Grand Cherokee

When driving vehicle it will just shut down like it ran out of gas and it won't crank back up, you can leave it for a couple of hours and come back and it will crank back up and if you are lucky we can get it back home. I know there is a recall on these 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I need to know what to do to get ours fixed seeing as to we just bought this vehicle and can't drive it in fear of being stranded or causing an accident. It sucks to be paying 400. A month for a new car and can't even drive it. Please help us in resolving this matter..

- Boiling Springs, SC, USA

May 172015

Grand Cherokee

Smoke suddenly appeared in car interior while driving on a highway. I pulled over. Smoke became more intense. Opened sunroof. Flames observed in headliner/door jamb above driver's side. Fire extinguished by fire department but not before extensive damage to the headliner/interior around the driver's side. Car inoperable.

- Laughlintown, PA, USA

May 132015

Grand Cherokee

No voltage indicator light or voltage reader

- Friant, CA, USA

Nov 132014

Grand Cherokee

Car stalled without waring, engine light didnot come on. Im lucky no one hit me on the highway!!! recall P54 ive been told no parts are available to fix.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 132014

Grand Cherokee

I have three recall notices on my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. You mailed me the first one in June and I visited my dealer on July 5th. Four months later, I am still being told I am on the waiting list. The dealer is dade Chrysler Dodge in miami Florida. The recall notices say to contact you if the dealer is not responding quickly enough. I think four months is too long. With three issues on this vehicle I think there should be more urgency.

- Miami Beach, FL, USA

May 272014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Experienced unintended acceleration, at a stop or near stop when parking. Although my foot was on the break, the car lunged forward as if the accelerator had been pushed all the way down, hitting the back of a parked truck violently. Although the impact was great, the air bag did not deploy. The incident was observed by the homeowner/truck owner.

- Cobb Island, MD, USA

Mar 022014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Reported by EFI global fire forensics investigator on behalf of vehicle consumer/owner. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 was driven and parked in garage at approximately 6:30 P.M.. garage was fully involved in fire at approximately 4:00 a.M. the following morning. Upon fire discovery, fire was venting through double car garage roof. Investigation has placed the fire origin at the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 vehicle. Investigation is continuing.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Cherokee

Initially, I took the car (2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee) to the dealer due to a rough idle, a shaking that had not occurred before. They dismissed it saying it was due to us running the air conditioning during the summer. I then ran the car with out the ac on and it still occurred. Next, the car began cranking and not starting. I looked up the symptoms on the internet and saw many others had problems with the Jeep/Chrysler tipm part. I took the car back to the dealer, described the problem, and asked them to look in to the tipm also as others were having the same problem. The diagnosed the problem as "two codes" that needed to be updated and not the tipm. Within 24 hours, the car did not start and cranked again. For the third time, I took the car to the dealer. They then reported it could either be the fuel pump or the tipm. ( I told them that was what I had asked for them to look at the last visit.) they then determined it is the tipm, and the needed part will not be available until 9-25-13, leaving me car less until that time. My extended warranty only covers a 5 day rental and Chrysler has thus far refused to provide a rental until the part is received. Thank you.

- Bensalem, PA, USA