CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Jul 272015

Grand Cherokee

7/27/15 I was at a complete stop before I was going to turn into the parking space. I waited until a van passed and again, was at a complete stop. I gently pressed the gas pedal when within seconds the car took off on its own. Within seconds my car revved on its own and took off; slamming me into a concrete wall barrier that saved me from driving into a dry cleaning store window.during this entire time, my foot barely pressed the accelerator and my car took off. Thankfully a man came to me and told me to just put the car in park as I was hitting the break and my wheels were still spinning. The barrier was literally keeping me from going through the large window. It wasn't until then that my car stopped. According to the police report I was going 5 mph. If this was the case, why did I crack the concrete barrier, burn rubber into the asphalt so much that my wheels made deep black marks on the road and my entire front bumper all the way to the rails were completely crushed. Would 5mph cause $7,000 worth of damage" I don't think so. In addition my seatbelt did not lock upon impact. My head slammed into the steering wheel before the seatbelt locked resulting in whiplash. My air bag also did not deploy. At the rate I was going and with the force of impact I hit the barrier with there was no reason for my seatbelt not to instantly lock and my airbag not deploy to protect my head and neck. My car is currently being fixed but I do not feel safe with that car nor selling it to anyone else, lest this happen. What if a family buys this car and dies due to this" I know I am not the only one with this issue and I want someone to take responsibility and admit there is something going on with these cars. Three major recalls for the 2011 and one that I feel lead to my accident. How many people have to go through this before an investigation occurs.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jul 272015

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Sep 042014

Grand Cherokee

Passenger seat belt in rear seat on right side will not latch. Seat belt will not retract and we cannot place and/or secure a carseat in this area of the vehicle. Vehicle has not been in any accidents and has been well maintained. Vehicle has low mileage and dealer refuses to replace seatbelt under warranty. Prices quoted to replace seat belt has been between $300-$350 for parts only and labor will be an additional charge! this is a safety issue and should be replaced with no charges!

- Victor, NY, USA

Feb 282014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My husband was in an accident on a sunny morning with no precipitation or ice involved while driving in a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. He was not speeding or found responsible for this accident. A Chrysler authorized body shop and the insurance company totaled the car based on the steering column, electrical system, the airbags, as well as the seat belts - which we found strange since we drove the car from the accident. It has been over a year now that he has been dealing with the aftermath of this accident - a traumatic brain injury from this small collision, still out to work, having trouble functioning, and trying to get some answers as to how an airbag that deployed at a speed of 30 mph or less can injure someone so much. Fca (which is now Chrysler) is not giving us any straight answers as to whether this case is involved with the tanaka airbag recall situation. Based on their actions we feel that fca doesn't want to pay for/take responsibility for the vehicles that they have inherited from Chrysler. Through our dealings with fca we are learning that they cannot be trusted to do what they say they are going to do. Fca has told us a few different stories about the orc module, airbags, and seat belts, what we have found is that fca is a group of liars and this needs to be looked into by the federal government immediately as fca is directly putting american safety at risk. We were very loyal Jeep customers prior to the fca buyout because of Chrysler's previous track record of safety and their reliability as a company to take care of important issues like these, fca is not following in their footsteps and I hope all who read this that can do something about this will.

- Agawam, MA, USA