CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 252014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Serpentine belt failed causing loss of power steering. I did not realize what had broken until I looked later, but I was lucky that I was very close to home as it could have caused major engine failure since the belt also drives the water pump and alternator.

- Commerce, MI, USA

Apr 082014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

When the Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicle is exiting the freeway or when coasting with no pressure on the accelerator, the vehicle stalls. Engine power is lost, power steering is lost, and power braking is lost leading to a significant inability to control the vehicle. The vehicle is unable to restart until it comes to a complete stop in the roadway and is put into park. This issue has occurred on four separate occasions before Chrysler even issued a recall. Chrysler has now notified me by mail of a recall for the fuel relay which could cause a stall and crash and has recommended I take the car to a dealer for repair. After taking the car to the dealer, the dealer has stated that no problem can be found and they cannot recreate the issue. The Jeep dealer has no evidence showing them that the problem is occurring as a result of the fuel relay even with the recall in effect. The dealer has advised me to pick up the car and wait until parts are available to fix the recalled part. This means they have advised me to drive the car with this potentially fatal flaw. This is as of November 18th, 2014. Chrysler's recall department has advised by phone I drive the car to another Jeep dealership to see if another service department can diagnose the issue. This recommendation puts myself and the public at risk of serious injury or death. There has been no temporary repair suggested or a date when a permanent fuel relay replacement part will be available. No alternative transportation has been provided or offered. I am without a means of transportation while my vehicles is not functioning due to safety reasons.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 272014

Grand Cherokee

The first time my Jeep stalled I was going around a turn and almost crashed into a highway barrier. I waited a couple minutes, turned my car back on, and kept driving. The second time it stalled, about 1 month later, I was turning into my driveway. It would not turn back on at this point. I brought it to the dealership and after 2 hours of diagnostics they informed me it was the tipm and would be $1,200 to fix. After searching online about this part, I noticed many other complains of this same issue for a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is clearly a faulty part and should be recalled. If my vehicle had stalled in different conditions, the results could have been fatal.

- Raymond, NH, USA

Sep 192014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On Friday, 9/19/14, my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee almost killed me. I was driving between va and NY via I-81 for a family funeral. I stopped half-way there for lunch and then experienced a problem starting it. Hitting the start button, it would not start, and would not stop trying to do so - it kept cranking and would not stop until I opened the door. It did this 3-4X, and then it started. It had never done this before. I continued on, more cautiously. An hour later, while passing several big rigs, part of the electrical system stopped working. I lost power steering, accelerator function, and my dash lit up - and the engine continued running and even revved despite the lack of the accelerator. My brakes also didn't work for approx. 10 seconds. The road curved, and I almost lost control and flipped the Jeep trying to avoid the big rigs, which were slamming on their brakes all around. Ultimately, I was able to pull over with no accident or damage and turned the vehicle off. After 15 minutes, it re-started, and I was able to get to my destination with no other problems. Upon arrival, however, I experienced the same things while testing it at very low speeds on back roads. After the funeral on Saturday, I was able to get it to the local dealership, where it still is undergoing diagnostics. I had to travel back to va on Sunday, and now have to rent a car, deal with long-distance repairs with an unknown dealership, and travel back to NY to get it once repaired. The dealership indicated it sounded like a tipm issue, which I have learned Jeep/Chrysler know about, but have not recalled. I have previously experienced minor electrical issues (flashlight never worked, multiple back bulbs, etc), which the dealership indicated may indicate tipm issues since the day I bought the vehicle, but were always dealt with as isolated repairs. Please help with a Jeep/Chrysler tipm recall!

- Sterling, VA, USA

Sep 192014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

On Friday, 9/19/14, my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee almost killed me. I was driving between va and NY via I-81 for a family funeral. I stopped half-way there for lunch and then experienced a problem starting it. Hitting the start button, it would not start, and would not stop trying to do so - it kept cranking and would not stop until I opened the door. It did this 3-4X, and then it started. It had never done this before. I continued on, more cautiously. An hour later, while passing several big rigs, part of the electrical system stopped working. I lost power steering, accelerator function, and my dash lit up - and the engine continued running and even rev'ed despite the lack of the accelerator. My brakes also didn't work for approx. 10 seconds. The road curved, and I almost lost control and flipped the Jeep trying to avoid the big rigs, which were slamming on their brakes all around. Ultimately, I was able to pull over with no accident or damage and turned the vehicle off. After 15 minutes, it re-started, and I was able to get to my destination with no other problems. Upon arrival, however, I experienced the same things while testing it at very low speeds on back roads. After the funeral on Saturday, I was able to get it to the local dealership, where it still is undergoing diagnostics. I had to travel back to va on Sunday, and now have to rent a car, deal with long-distance repairs with an unknown dealership, and travel back to NY to get it once repaired. The dealership indicated it sounded like a tipm issue, which I have learned Jeep/Chrysler know about, but have not recalled. I have previously experienced minor electrical issues (flashlight never worked, multiple back bulbs, etc), which the dealership indicated may indicate tipm issues since the day I bought the vehicle, but were always dealt with as isolated repairs. Please help with a Jeep/Chrysler tipm recall!

- Sterling, VA, USA

Aug 152014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Driving home from work on a Friday afternoon, while making a turn in residential area, the engine cut off and the steering locked up. The radio, instrument panel and A/C were all still on, so did not immediately realize the engine was off. Was able to restart after putting vehicle into park. Fortunately, no other vehicles were behind me or could have been worse. Dealer not able to find what was wrong since they could not replicate it, so was not able to repair problem. Has not recurred, but now very scary driving, not knowing if it will happen again.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Jul 102014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Good evening. I had purchased a 2011 certified pre-owned grand Jeep Cherokee on 7/4/2014. I had start to experience clunking sound and clicking as I would turn the steering wheel a few days after my purchase. I contacted the dealer that scheduled me an appointment to replace a brake booster recall on 7/18/2014 and would address other issues that I may have. During my appointment in the service department at the dealership, it was mentioned to me that the reason for the issues in my steering wheel was there result of my front struts being worn down and needs to be replaced. I was told that the struts where on back order and I would be notified once they come in. I have an appointment for their replacement on 8/1/2014 at 9:45am. After 7/18/2014 made me question if my certified pre-owned Jeep had underwent the 125-point inspection that is supposed to have been conducted to make it a certified pre-owned. I had then went on the Jeep website to find out want the 125-point inspection entailed. Under #90 of the 125-point inspection, speaks of shocks and struts. My question now was if my certified Jeep under went the 125-point inspection, then the struts should had been addressed prior to sale. I am now beginning to experience additional issues with the vehicle. I made numerous attempts to notify the dealership to find out if the 125-point inspection had been completed. I would not get any cooperation, just passiveness. I had than called the Jeep Chrysler information center for some type of resolve in finding out if the 125-point inspection was completed, to no success. I am very much concern of my safety, and I need to know if this inspection was conducted prior to it being sold to me. If the dealership did not conduct the 125-point inspection, I would like them to be held accountable of this action. Please help me in any way possible with this matter. Thank you in advance.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 152013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

I have experiencing the shudder/bump feel with the steering when bump or sudden brake. I check the article in tbs under steering 19-004-11 and call the dealer. They check on the VIN of my car and said that this article is apply to my car in their system. I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland summit which mfd is in April 2011. I also mentioned this article and issue to the dealer. But they just kept saying that this is not in their system based on the VIN on my car.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Feb 122014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle dies from no reasons, also fails to start at times.

- Republic, MO, USA

Apr 102014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

My wife has had 3 separate encounters where her 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland has randomly powered down, losing capability to operate the vehicle (no brakes/steering) while she was driving the vehicle. The first occasion happened in November of 2013, vehicle was stopped at an intersection and lost power. The vehicle was put into park and re-started with no further issue. We didn't report this incident. The second event happened on April 3, 2014, the vehicle lost power while my wife was driving at approx. 40 mph. Again, when the vehicle came to a stop she put it into park and re-started the vehicle. We contacted the local Chrysler dealership on April 7 and set up an appointment for April 12. The third event occurred this morning, April 10, 2014. The vehicle speed is difficult to determine but my wife was slowing down to make a left turn on a 50mph road. There were other vehicles in the area that could have caused serious accident, mainly a school bus with children on board. Again, the vehicle had to be put into park and restarted. Difficult to do on this busy road. I contacted the same dealership and explained to them what had happened. The dealership moved up my April 12 appointment to today. So far, the dealership has been accommodating. They plan to run diagnostics checks to determine cause of power failure. Also, there are other electrical issues plaguing this vehicle (power door locks not working, drivers side seat heater not working, key not being detected). This vehicle has approx. 129,000 kms on the odometer and we bought it privately about 6 months ago (approx. 105,000 kms). I felt that I should report this issue given the recent attention to similar issues with General Motors (ignition switch). If necessary, I can provide more details.

- Warren, MI, USA

Jan 012014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

There are three key parts that must work after a car starts, steering, braking and accelerating. The brake booster and power steering pump in my 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee need to be replaced. I'm currently taking all precautions when driving, however this is not nearly enough. I feel that an accident is inevitable. It has now been two weeks waiting for two parts. Facing the worst weather conditions in years I would like to feel safe driving to work and with my family. I understand that certain statistics have to meet before issuing a costly recall, however under these conditions IżżM faced with (backordered parts) I don't see why an exception shouldnżżT be issued against Chrysler. If a problem exists you should be able to have the parts available to meet demand. Not being able to meet demand will almost surely provoke a class-action lawsuit. My question is what steps are being taken by the NHTSA against Jeep/Chrysler? hit the gym and flex your muscles. The worst action is not taking one.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Feb 052014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Upon exiting freeway on 2/05/14 car stalled without warning, making it difficult to steer because loss of power and brakes not fully functional I almost ran into street divider, I was able to steer to the side of the road, where I attempted to restart the vehicle. Vehicle did start and seemed fine afterwards. It happened again 4 days later again while exiting freeway off ramp again. I took the vehicle to the dealership where they hooked it up to a diagnostic and found no codes other then a software update they did they could not find a problem. I've read several complaints about this same type of stalling without warning on other Jeep and no one has been able to get any help with this issue. I suppose not until someone dies from this malfunction of these Jeep will Chrysler start to look into this problem and recall the part that is causing this to happen.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 092012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

On the weekend of 6/9/12, my vehicle began giving starting problems and shutting down while driving. The dealerships service department was closed so I had to wait until Monday 6/11/12. I made several attempts on that day to have the vehicle checked out but the service department kept giving me a run around. The vehicle spent the night at the dealership and was checked the following day. I received a call that my vehicle is ready and was informed that a flash was done and a new computer had to be ordered that's why the check engine light is on. Left the dealership and the vehicle shut off once again while driving and when I attempted to restart it was giving the hard start once again. On 6/16/12 the vehicle was fully un-operational and had to be towed to the dealership. It sat there until the part arrived and was installed. On 6/21/12 I picked it up once again it's suppose to be working great because the computer was replaced. Less than an hour later it did not want to start again. I carried it back down on 6/22/12 and on the way there the vehicle shut down. Later that day found out another part had to be ordered. 6/29/12 my vehicle was ready again and said to be working great and it was because the hard start problem was fixed but the shutting down was not fixed because it occurred once again on 7/1/13 and has been happening constantly for over a year.

- Christiansted, VI, USA

Jun 102012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

When driving the vehicle shuts down and the steering wheel gets tight.

- Christiansted, VI, USA

Mar 022012

Grand Cherokee

I was entering a parking garage in nyc. I was driving at a low speed to be mindful of other pedestrians/vehicles in garage. My car made a sudden loud popping sound. I felt the car jolt to the right and hit the wall to the right of me. All of the sudden I had no control of the vehicle. Parking attendants and other people in the garage could not believe what had just happened and I couldn't either. Had vehicle towed to manhattan Jeep where service rep scott caruso immediately identified that the control arm snapped off the right front passenger wheel causing the wheel to turn completely right. He entered the issue as a warranty claim. My own research has turned up other steering issues with the Jeep Wrangler that sound similar. I was fortunate that this happened to my vehicle at such a low speed and in a parking garage. I am sure if it happened on the highway at highway speeds there would be multiple fatalities. To this day Chrysler has not done anything to honor the warranty claim and my car is sitting in manhattan Jeep until further notice. D'ambrosio Dodge Chrysler Jeep in downingtown, pa (where I bought the vehicle) has also identified the issue as a mechanical warranty issue that should be covered under the warranty. Chrysler has not honored the warranty and the issue remains unresolved.

- New York, NY, USA

Jan 162011

Grand Cherokee 4WD

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee power steering lines at cooler were missing clamps. Line came loose, emptying system fluid onto driveway while idling with less than 800 miles total. Drove vehicle to dealer, where clamps were discovered to be present, but not slid onto terminus points and not secured.

- Fenton, MI, USA