CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Jun 242016

Grand Cherokee

On June 24, 2016, between 1:30 pm and 2 pm, I was driving from brentwood ca to vallejo ca on hwy 780 w and after turning a curve on the freeway which sloped down towards curtola parkway, I applied the brakes at about 30 miles per hour after I emerged from the overpass which was at least 5 car lengths before the cars ahead of me which was stopped at a red traffic light. However, the Jeep continued to roll even though I pressed on the brakes to the floor board. When I realized the Jeep did not stop, after checking for vehicles on the left from the rear view mirror, I swerved to the left to avoid hitting the truck in front of me, but I still hit the left corner of the Nissan truck in front of me but the truck did not hit the vehicle in front of him. I damaged the right corner of the front of my Jeep. The Jeep is unsafe because the brakes failed and would have caused a fatal accident to me, my three passengers, and other vehicles had I been travelling at a high speed. I complied with all available recall repairs including the brake recall in 2014 and all the suggested Chrysler maintenance on the Jeep. I reported the accident to my insurance geico and to Chrysler.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

May 152016

Grand Cherokee

Failure of automatic rear tailgate and associated obstruction/safety sensor mechanisms. Tailgate opens to within an inch or two of full height then silently starts to fall back at an increasing velocity and slams shut. Pressing the control button to stop the fall does not work nor does the rapid drop stop when encountering an obstruction. When tailgate first started to reverse direction I reached in to press the button to stop or reverse it and it continued downward and pinned my arm and caused me to wrench my back. Had anyone leaned into the back as it was going up, it would have silently slammed back down on their head or neck resulting in serious injury as the tailgate is quite heavy and quickly gains substantial momentum and force. Since the tailgate never reaches full height it appears that safety interlocks do not get activated/triggered hence it becomes a dead drop. It appears that the cause is a loss of pressure in the right rear strut, though other electronic factors may be considered. This is a very dangerous defect that has the potential to cause serious or even a fatal injury. A repair is scheduled at the dealer on May 25. Other incidents of this type have been reported on google search.

- Westport, CT, USA

Mar 012016

Grand Cherokee

On the first of March, my wife and daughter were about to start their day in the usual way. She opened the garage door and used her key fob to remote start our 2012 Jeep gc limited ( around 42K miles) ( factory installed remote starter) she walked away for less than 4 minutes and returned to see smoke coming from front passenger side of Jeep. She called for me, and pushed the aux button to be sure the vehicle was off. I came running and despite my attempts to open the hood and beat back what quickly escalated into open flames I retreated to ensure my family's safety and to be sure the emergency responders were called. Thankfully I was able to remove some potential fuel for the fire by removing our second car from the garage (also a Chrysler) and securing the door between the house and garage. Luck intervened when the flames destroyed the garage door assembly causing the garage door to fall and help remove some oxygen from the fire. Eventually first responders arrived and were able to knock down the fire with foam. Later the firemen pushed the Jeep into the driveway to ensure it was doused. Though the remote start may not be directly responsible for whatever arc sparked the fire, it's my belief that its use contributed directly to the conditions that conflagrated the situation. If the wiring harness is otherwise suspect I would not be surprised considering recent revelations on related models. The vehicle was just removed from the site today 3/9/2016 to copart facility, by insurance company for further investigation into the source of the fire.

- Fabius, NY, USA

Jan 102015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the front driver side and rear upper and lower trim, the front passenger side and rear upper and lower trim, and all the dashboard trim was peeling and falling off. The contact stated that the vehicle should be included in a recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 04/22/2016

- Sulphur, LA, USA

Jan 312012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

We purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5 miles on it. Upon leaving the dealership the engine began making a strange noise. We brought the car back to the dealer and the mechanic told us to leave the car. It's 5 days later and all we know so far is that they have removed the front end of the transmission and they are still working on it. We don't have the car. Additionally, the front driver's side door was not flush with the body of the car. We asked them to look at the door to see if it was not installed properly. They offered to have the body shop bend the door.

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA