CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2.8

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Nov 182016

Grand Cherokee

I haven't had any trouble with my car. I was going to my dads when a battery light popped up. I was less than mile from his house. When I got to his house I cut the car off so my dad could check under the hood but he didn't see anything wrong with it. When I cranked the car back up my radio was cutting on and off, I cut the air on low and it started blowed heat out the defrost, and the windshield wipers start going off by theirselves. I cut the car off again so it would stop. When I tried to cut the car back on it wouldn't crank. My dad hooked it up to a battery charger because he thought the battery was dead. We got it cranked and left his house to take it straight to the Jeep dealership. We got about a mile down the rode and the lights were flickering, the steerwheel locked up and the car cut off. Under the hood started smoking. We were stranded on the side of the rode with my 4 year old son in the back seat. We had two people stop to try and jump the battery off but it was completely dead. We called a tow trunk and they towed it to there shop. They hooked up to there machines and said it was the alternator. Now I've paid $800 to get the alternator replaced. When the alternator went out it fried my power module control.

- Bamberg, SC, USA

Feb 122016

Grand Cherokee

In Feb 2016 was driving through town and my dashboard and Jeep started acting crazy and it just totally died as I tried pulling into gas station, was now blocking entrance/exit. Totally dead, couldn't put it in neutral and hazards didn't work. Replaced tipm costing me $1300. Then in Oct 2016, Jeep dashboard started going crazy again and died as I'm driving and turning in the middle of an intersection! everything dead, no hazards, lights anything and it was pitch black. I was lucky I didn't get hit. Now they said it was battery even though I argued that it wasn't, I said it was the tipm again. They replace battery, but battery light came on right after I left dealer. Then they said it was the alternator. Got it replace but it wasn't the alternator, it was the tipm again! they covered that since I just paid for it in February. Faulty tipm's caused my Jeep to totally die as I'm driving - twice!! if I was on a highway, it would have been horrific. And both times I had my kids in the Jeep with me. Absolutely unacceptable. Never buying a Jeep again. This is so dangerous.

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Mar 192016

Grand Cherokee

Was driving with my family, battery light came on and car shut off at the light, car started to make a whistling noise before light came on. Restarted car light was no longer on and noise gone. Drove about 5 miles on the highway and all the dash lights came on. Windshield wipers turned on then lost complete power of car. Unable to steer use emergency lights or brakes, luckily was able to coast to a stop and not get hit. Car towed to our mechanic, mechanic said recall due to defective alternator. Had it towed to local dealership sj denham, Chrysler and dealership tells us there is no recall on our car for alternater. 10-12 days to get alternater. Won't provide rental or loaner. Car sits at dealership waiting for alternater. Chrysler said they would assign a case manager and make it upscale case, that they would call us within 48 hours, 2 days later we have not received a call. Dealer is charging our extended warranty for this service and said we have to pay $100 deductible and $40 for the belt that was damaged. They also wanted $50 if we wanted them to locate the alter er within 3 days. We declined paying $50 stating this should be part of their customer service.

- Redding, CA, USA

Mar 102016

Grand Cherokee

Takada recall had recalls done car still hard to start and now dies when driving getting angry with the whole car very dangerous with kids in car

- Linden, TX, USA

Mar 052016

Grand Cherokee

Takada recall took car had 4 recalls done now hard to start and while drive shout down

- Linden, TX, USA

Dec 292015

Grand Cherokee

Electronic stability control malfunction indicator light randomly goes on and off while vehicle is in operation. Automatic wiper blades randomly activating while vehicle is in operation when no moisture or rain is present. Automatic key-less entry/exit system intermittently fails to work when using door front handle sensors. Dealership has recommended replacement of tipm under extended warranty in effort to resolve issues.

- Rochester, MN, USA

May 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I am sitting on 3 recalls on my vehicle list above, brake shield, visor wiring, and now alternator problem. I am not very happy with 3 recalls that they don't have part for, and the dealership can not tell me if and when parts will be in, I am to the point I don't want this vehicle anymore because of these issues. I don't wanna wait till there is a injury or fatality. I want this resolved or vehicle replaced. I am guessing the air bags will be next knowing there is a recall on them on other vehicles.

- Indianola, IA, USA