CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

Jan 122016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When the contact depressed the brake pedal, it seized. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the push start button and fob failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tpm module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the fob failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,671.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Dec 172015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle took an abnormally long time to stop. In order for the vehicle to come to a complete stop, the brake pedal had to be depressed excessively and the vehicle jerked as if it drove over a speed bump. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing; however, details of the brake failure could not be provided. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 132016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the brake warning indicator illuminated and the brakes failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacture was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000......updated 02/10/16

- Lake Hiawatha, NJ, USA

Oct 132015

Grand Cherokee

In August of 2014 I noticed a firm response from my brake pedal when starting the car. I brought it to the dealer, grava in medford MA, and they told me they fixed it and that it was covered under recall P14. I later learned they only replaced the brake booster pump shield and not the booster. In October of 2015 I had a sudden loss of brake power when my brake booster failed and had to have my car towed to the dealer. The vehicle was in motion when this occurred; luckily slow speed.

- Boston, MA, USA

Nov 212015

Grand Cherokee

Driving about 45mph on city street during first snow storm of the year. Approaching red light, engaged brakes, heard anti-lock start to kick in, then heard a popping noise, and then near complete loss of brake power. No accident. Need to push brakes extremely hard in order to get even the slightest braking ability. Car was bought used as a cpov from dealer in late 2014. Was not informed of potential brake issue.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 022012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at various speeds and also while the vehicle was parked, the break pedal was difficult to depress. In addition, once the brake pedal was depressed, it failed to release. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster and the brake pedal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 2,000. Updated 02/06/15

- West Sayville, NY, USA

Nov 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 5 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to stop the vehicle without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The VIN was repaired previously under NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes), but the failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 65,000.

- Marblehead, MA, USA

Aug 032015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000(service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part for the recall was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Jan 032015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to brake system recall notices. The consumer stated she did not know about the brake recall. However, by that time, she had already hit four vehicles, because she was not able to stop. Also, two days after the vehicle was purchased, she went to start it, but it wouldn't start. The vehicle stalled while at a stop sign. The consumer sent in a recall regarding the sun visor. Updated 03/24/16.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Oct 212015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle engine shut off during right turn in busy intersection without any warnings. Unable to turn or control vehicle. Also the brake on lights come on in the consul during normal operation. Based on other Jeep model recalls, I believe the problem may be related to the tipm-7 module. The vehicle is a Grand Cherokee overlander 4WD. Vehicle was able to be restarted and has not had another failure, however, this is an unsafe driving situation when the vehicle's engine dies while in motion in any road condition. Maybe related to recalls P54.

- Vista, CA, USA

Oct 062015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Cherokee. While driving down an incline at 15 mph, the brakes failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. A year prior to the failure, the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 51,000. Updated 02/18/16 updated 02/22/16.

- Nanuet, NY, USA

Jul 142015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owned a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving down a steep hill, the brake pedal was depressed but failed to stop the vehicle. The contact crashed into a tree. A police report was filed. The driver sustained five fractured ribs as well as a fractured right ankle. The passenger sustained a concussion. Medical attention was received. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000. Updated 11/06/15 updated 2/2/2016

- Ste. Genevieve, MO, USA

Sep 052015

Grand Cherokee

On 9/5/15, I applied my brakes as I was approaching a red light at approximately 40 mph. Initially I felt the brakes grab but then the brakes gave out causing me to swerve to avoid a car in front of me and then using the other lane of traffic to finally get the vehicle to stop in the middle of the intersection by applying my emergency brake. Obviously, quite a harrowing situation for myself in addition to the other vehicles in my path on both sides of the road. Luckily there was no accident and even more important, no injuries. Westbury Jeep in NY (where I service my vehicle) told me that the cause was a bad brake booster. That triggered questions in my mind as in September of 2014 I had recall P14 serviced. It seems that a shield had been installed but that the booster itself had not been changed. Why wasn't the booster changed at that time? I now have my doubts that this was properly and adequately taken care of, putting my life and the life of others in danger. In researching this problem further, I've come across several other cases mirroring mine…quite alarming.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Sep 092015

Grand Cherokee

The dealer completed the brake booster inspection and I nserted a shield for the brake boosters recall in December of 14. After that date, the brakes were not stopping the vehicle during hard stops because proper brake pressure was not present. September 8 2015 the dealer replaced the brake booster because it was not operating correctly. The brake booster should have been replaced on the initial visit as I was driving around with brakes that were not operating correctly. Normal driving I could not notice the difference but emergency stops and stopping while towing was dangerous.

- Geneva, IL, USA

May 212014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle hesitated to respond and was difficult to stop. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes hydraulic),14V391000 (electrical system), and 15V115000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to deliver the part to do the repair. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Nov 032014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V115000 (electrical system), 14V634000 (electrical system), 14V391000 (electrical system), and 14V154000 (service brakes) were received in 2014. After contacting the dealer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be given. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Jan 022014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 40 mph and depressing the brake pedal, the brakes malfunctioned and the stopping distance increased. The dealer diagnosed that the brake booster was faulty. The brake booster was replaced and the failure was remedied. The contact indicated that the failure occurred after a remedy was previously performed involving the brake booster. While driving at various highway speeds, the vehicle would suddenly shut off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the tipm was faulty and would need to be replaced, but the parts were not available to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Jun 132015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Day 1....car just stopped out of no where a picture of a battery showed up and the car just stopped and shut down on its own day 2....took car in to get a new battery because that was totally dead but on day 3...the battery did not fix the problem the car once again shut down on me and this time it was in the middle of the freeway I was stuck for a couple of hours cant even jump the car cuz it still wont start it so I had to get it towed off the freeway.. midday of day 3 discovered it was the alternator and finds out there were for 4 recalls on my car so I took it to the Jeep dealership. They stated they can only fix 3 out of 4 of the recall due to not having all the parts and informed me it will be done before the day is over. 4:30pm came around and I called to check in on the car to see if it was ready the worker stated yes come pick it up so I did and when I was almost home the same problem the car shut down on me so I called the dealership to take the car back in before it fully shut down altogether. Day 4....dealership called me about 11am and stated ok theres nothing wrong with it and I can go pick it up so I stated ok but about an hour later when I was about to be on my way the dealership stated wait do not come pick it up yet because there is something with the computer system of the car and that the steering power is not connecting to the alternator and is shutting the car down but the part to fix it wont be in til tommorrow. Day 5..still waiting for my car to be fixed..... please if there is anyway I can just simply swap this lemon with a different car that would be great I have a 4 year old and this is a safety hazard and according to one of the recall the car can crash without notice.... help me pleaseeeeeee...updated 08/06/15 updated 12/23/2015

- Fresno, CA, USA

May 162015

Grand Cherokee

We bought the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee from serra Chevrolet in madison Tennessee on 5 16 2015 we noticed on drive home brakes were making noise and brakes were all way to floor and spongy I called Chrysler and they said there was a recall on brake booster and fuel pump why did this dealer not check those recalls out this is a very unsafe vehicle to operate due to brakes not operating properly the dealership is setting them selves up for a law suit

- Nashville, TN, USA

May 122015

Grand Cherokee

I had just taken off from a traffic signal stop and the brakes failed. I was miraculously able to get over to the side of the road without hitting any other vehicles and bring the vehicle to a stop. I had my 2 week old infant in the back seat with me and this was an extremely traumatizing incident. Most infuriating on this incident was that I already took the vehicle in to get the brake recall repaired on 7/26/14 to courtesy Chrysler in grand rapids, mi 10 months ago!. at that time, the dealership stated they did not have the parts to correct the recall, but placed me on a waiting list and when the parts arrived, would call me to make the repairs. Still waiting for that call! had the recall fixed at the closest dealer to where the brakes went out in holland, mi.

- Caledonia, MI, USA