Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 19 of 20)

May 152014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I have 2 recall notices from Chrysler on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I have had for several months (recalls nos. P14 and P36). Every time I contact my Chrysler dealer, South point Chrysler in austin, Texas, I am informed they do not have the parts to do the recall work.

- Austin , TX, USA

Oct 082014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical system) and stated that the part was not available to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Toluca Lake , CA, USA

Mar 172014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical system). The parts needed to repair the vehicle would not be available for several months. The dealer was unable to provide a specific date for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sandwich, MA, USA

Jun 302014

Grand Cherokee

06/30/2014: Car was craning slow. Outcome: Battery replaced. Brake booster recall and replaced. 08/18/2014: Car was towed in. Outcome: Fuel pump overlay was replaced. 09/15/2014: Car was towed in not starting. Outcome: Battery replaced and new alternator replaced. Last incident happened on 09/12/2014 I was driving home, the car panel started flashing, vehicle shut off, and I lost power steering. No control of my car. Thankful I wasn't in an accident. I had my children in the car. Precious cargo. This is a huge safety issue and concern. If I was on the freeway I can only imagine what would have happened. My car only has 37K miles on it. An alternator should not be needed to be replaced at such low mileage. I can understand 100K. Plus 2 battery replaces needed within 2 months. This car is not reliable nor safe.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and NHTSA campaign number 14V391000 (electrical) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The dealer advised that the parts were not available for repair and did not know when parts would become available. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Camas , WA, USA

Sep 162014

Grand Cherokee

Car would not start on first attempt. This occurred everyday for 3 days at which point I brought it to the dealership for service. The problem was an issue with the fuel pump related to a faulty tipm. The part was replaced by the dealership at no charge.

- Middlesex, NJ, USA

Sep 172014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V391000 (electrical). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 132014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Car would not start on a regular basis. Smelled electrical burning. Brought to ramsey Chrysler Jeep and was told that tipom was no good which was the total integrated power module that operates all electrical functions of the vehicle. Item was not covered under warranty and cost me $1418.43.

- Franklin Lakes, NJ, USA

Sep 022013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the key fob would activate intermittently and that the key failed to unlock the doors. The contact also stated that she replaced the battery on numerous occasions however the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the key needed to be replaced and replaced the battery in the key fob. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 31,116.

- Chadbourn, NC, USA

Sep 032014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The totally integrated module went bad 3 weeks after purchasing vehicle.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 152013

Grand Cherokee

Total integrated power module: When starting, vehicle stalls. When try to restart, vehicle continuously turns over without starting until it finally times itself out. This happens at least once per week for more than a year. Dealership says they know nothing about the problem and that they cannot recreate the issue so they will not fix unless I choose to replace the tipm at my own expense. I've given them article after article about this issue - to no avail. Warranty company will not cover the issue because dealership says there is no issue.

- New Oxford, PA, USA

Mar 122014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Initially, I was having trouble with it stalling after it started. The dealership installed a new start button, I then had trouble after I would turn the car off, the accessories would not turn off. The dealership replaces the door mechanism and now I am having trouble getting the car to start. I was unable to start it after several attempts and could only start it using the remote start. I have had tons of issues with this vehicle and the start system stalling, then not turning off and now not starting.

- Butte, MT, USA

Jul 252014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Informed by technician that I have the right rear shock to be leaking oil, causing the car to bounce, poor control, rusty brake pads and possibly more problems in the future. The vehicle also have been selected for an important safety recall (brake booster prematurely corrode. I not satisfied with all these safety problems for a car I paid off, bought brand new, only two years old, with such disturbing problems, constantly taking it to the dealership it is inconvenient. The seat belt is difficult to click, un-click and I am very disturbed. I am constantly at the dealership repairing and worrying about what will be next. Chrysler has sold to consumers like myself a poor quality vehicle.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 292014

Grand Cherokee

Saw smoke coming from passengers visor parked the car in front of the house when out two hours later to find it to be completely burned.. dealership acted like it is no big deal that a leased new vehicle from them catches fire inside... service rep jeff tells me it's not that bad..?? really how can I show you the pictures of this "not a big deal" situation... updated 08-20-14 updated 7/23/2015

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Nov 012013

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle lost all electrical power, steering and braking while in motion. The vehicle lost all control of steering and breaking when the electrical system shutoff. The electrical issue has happened 3 times within the first 2 year of ownership (~32,000 miles). The following parts have been replaced: Fuel pump relay and overlay harness, wireless ignition node, integrated key fob, tipm kit, 2 key fobs, brake booster. Vehicle almost caused 3 severe accidents while in motion.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Grand Cherokee

I was getting a burning plastic smell I brought the vehicle to manfredi service center in staten island NY they tried to tell me it was my air freshener after pushing for a fix they flushed a coil...immediately called them after picking up the vehicle and was told to bring the car back Monday....Saturday while driving intense smoke filled the cabin from the drivers side headliner I had the car towed back to service where they disconnected the vanity and gave me the car back awaiting parts they also dragged the car onto the tow truck due to no start and replaced the battery and alternator when I received the car the drivers seat belt was inoperable and had to be fixed as well as the car dented.....I am awaotomg parts the smell persists and causes me to have headaches thank you for your time I would appreciate any info on this.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jul 062014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Noticed faint smell of burning plastic, opened a sunroof to clear the air. Smell got worse immediately, and then a headliner, just above my head (driver side) started smoke. Sunroof started closing and opening by itself, and dashboard showed a message that parking assist needs to be serviced. I pulled immediately of the road, turned off the vehicle, forced the water into headboard and fire stopped. Called 911 in walton county in Florida. Night before we tried to turn the lights inside, and noticed that they were flickering and very weak. I am now 800 miles away from home on vacation, and Chrysler is moving really slow to address the issue, already waiting 5 days for special investigator to check the vehicle.

- Allen, TX, USA

Jun 102013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

There have been four incidents while driving my vehicle at speed from 35 to upwards of 70 mph, my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee without warning powers off and engine shuts off. The issues were diagnosed by criswell Jeep service center, whereby the first occurrence was due a faulty and loose ground/ the subsequent re-occurrences were due to failure of totally integrated power module (tipm) which was replaced at mileage of 10,811. Oddly, one year for second on June 10, 2014, same issue recurred. I contracted Chrysler to report the defect and open a file on the matter. They instructed to take to another Jeep service center for secondary assessment on electrical issues identified a year earlier. Darcars Jeep service center could not find nothing wrong even after their technician drove my SUV to his residence and added 62 miles onto my vehicle. In conclusion, I informed a"possible of "fix" but the solution is unproven and not supported by Chrysler. Parts are on order to install a new receiver, antenna-R and antenna-P which should cure what is deem as unidentifiable issue.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Oct 172011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Intermittent electrical problem -- alarm sounds, horns honk, lights flash, radio comes on at all hours, day or night, when car is not running, parked in driveway, on its own, without fobs or people nearby. Car does not have an alarm system! panic button on fob not pushed. Racket stops after ~15 minutes, on its own, until the next incident anywhere from a week to several weeks later. June 12, 2014, there were two incidents on the same day, once in the morning, while driving, once in the late afternoon when parked and not running. No error codes in vic. Car starts and runs normal with all the racket the going on, but there is no way to stop the flashing lights. Pulling the two fuses for the horns leaves only the flashing lights, but no horns if they are needed. Headlights switch ineffective. Lights continue to flash when headlights are turned on as if circuit is bypassed.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

May 242014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The car would not start. Was told that the total integrated power module needed to be replaced.

- Madisonville, LA, USA