Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 20)

Oct 062016

Grand Cherokee

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee stopped in the middle of the road with the engine losing power, warning lights flashing with the smell of hot or burning electrical wiring entering the cabin. I was lucky I was on a city street going about 30mph, and not on the interstate moving at a faster pace. I had the car towed to the dealership and was told the next day that the alternator needed to be replaced, at a cost of over $1,000. I was told it was a difficult job to replace the alternator. Based on youtube videos, it should not have taken more than around 30-40 minutes. The alternator was available for $405-$450 from numerous mopar oems online. The dealership charged me over $730 and labor of over $250 for a total of over $1,000. The recall was for the 160amp, for the same exact stated situation that I had with the 180amp, so it was not covered. This is a safety hazard that should have been included in the recall. The Chrysler/Jeep dealership seems to using this as an opportunity to gouge the public.

- Plano, TX, USA

Oct 072016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving, the 180 amp alternator failed and caused the vehicle to stall. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was determined that the VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Corona, CA, USA

Oct 112012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V879000(electrical system, interior lighting); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Tomah, WI, USA

Aug 222016

Grand Cherokee

While driving a whining noise started. Then battery light came on. System started it indicate system shutting down. Drove straight to dealer and was informed the alternator was burnt out and the battery shot. I complained to fca. Their esponse there is a recall on 160 amp alternators but it.does not apply to my vehicle because it has a 180 amp alternator.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Oct 062016

Grand Cherokee

Battery died and dealer replaced battery and performed recall repair for sun visor wiring. Within first 20 miles, while in motion on atlanta rd. In smyrna, Georgia, cabin filled with smoke from electrical fire beneath front passenger seat, which is where battery is located.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Aug 202016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After the vehicle was started, smoke emitted across the top of the interior windshield. The vehicle caught fire and the fire department extinguished the flames. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Florham, NJ, USA

Oct 012016

Grand Cherokee

Yet another defective alternator. Was driving on city road and could smell something burning in engine. Pulled over and thought my car was on fire from the amount of smoke coming from the engine. Alternator locked up. Couldn't start vehicle after I stopped.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Dec 152012

Grand Cherokee

Sun visor recall, have turned in 2 recalls allready to the tomah wi dealer, but no call to come in and get it fixed.

- Kendall, WI, USA

Sep 262016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 35 mph, the battery warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact was not able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Sep 212016

Grand Cherokee

It's been several months since I've requested my local Jeep dealer to install the visor recall upgrade. He has the replacement parts but keeps outing me off saying he needs a special tool or part to complete this service ! sounds like vs to me. This is about safety ! what is going on ?

- Burnet, TX, USA

Sep 132016

Grand Cherokee

Another 2012 Jeep gc owner with the 180amp alternator failing here. It failed just like many other 160amp and many many 180amp Jeep gc's. if the 160amp was recalled for safety issues then why is the 180amp not being recalled. Is there a death indicator that warrants a recall? Chrysler/Jeep need to do the right thing and recall the 180amp electrical issues as well. My Jeep failed on I95 outside of DC and I had to push it off the highway during rush hour traffic. This is a safety hazard and needs to be dealt with please!

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Sep 142016

Grand Cherokee

While driving, battery light came on, made it to a safe place. Turned off car noticed smoke coming from under hood. When I opened hood I could see smoke and smell electrical burn at the alternator. After time passed, I tried to crank car, made a terrible noise and alternator smoked again. Had towed to local dealer. Apparently a recall was sent out on this, when car was in for service repair was not done? waiting to hear from dealer.

- Rifle, CO, USA

Aug 232016

Grand Cherokee

Battery light came on while driving, started losing power, vehicle started whining. Turned vehicle off when I reached safe place. Mechanic restarted vehicle and an awful grinding and screeching came from under hood and smoke came pouring out for about 15 minutes. Alternator burnt up, blew out battery, and still waiting to figure out what the last issue is preventing it from being completely fixed. Jeep sent investigator out to view issues, and then sent me a letter saying sorry this happened but not our problem. Been without vehicle now for over 3 weeks.

- Hilton Head Island, SC, USA

Sep 132016

Grand Cherokee

Alternator suddenly failed while I was driving down busy interstate. Luckily I was able to get to side of road without incident. I see there is a recall on like year/models for this very thing, however my VIN is not included in this recall, so I am having to pay out of pocket for tow, alternator and labor....and possible new battery and other electrical things, because alternator got hot and burned causing complete electrical shutdown of vehicle, so we are still unaware of complete damage done.

- Seymour, MO, USA

Mar 142016

Grand Cherokee

In 3/16 the vehicle experienced an alternator failure which was repaired at a cost of over $1,000. Today, 9/13/16, the same failure has taken place. I decided to google the issue and found that recall 14V63400 (P60 for Chrysler) is an exact match for the vehicle description and the problem. I contacted Chrysler was told that it does not apply to my VIN!! very disappointing and unconscionable!

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 192016

Grand Cherokee

My 180 amp alternator burnt out and in the process burned the computer and other parts because of the way it fried. When I heard others had the same issue I was shocked to hear it was not a recall yet. Then even more shocked to hear there is a recall but only for the 160 amp alternator and does not cover the 180 amp model. Really"??" Jeep should take more responsibility for the issue and replace all of the alternators. This could have been a dangerous issue if it fried when I was driving on the freeway and lost power the way I did. My car just completely died with all of the power going out and my family could have been hurt. Jeep Chrysler you should recall also recall the 180 amp alternators and replace them proactively before someone is seriously injured or worse!

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Aug 032016

Grand Cherokee

Alternator burns out and fails suddenly while driving. There are known problems with similar parts on Jeep vehicles. The manufacturer is aware. I submitted a claim to Fiat Jeep and they refused to reimburse me, for now.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 272016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Upon starting the vehicle and driving for approximately four minutes, the contact noticed smoke and flames coming from the center console where the sun roof controls were located. The vehicle was driven to the local fire department where the fire was extinguished. A fire report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and then to the dealer where it was awaiting repairs. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting), but the remedy was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Marshfield, MA, USA

Aug 232016

Grand Cherokee

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee battery light came on while driving. I immediately pulled into an advance auto parts thinking it was just a battery issue. They turned the car off, hooked up the computer and restarted the car. When car was restarted, it made horrible screeching noises under the hood. They shut the car off, got the computer reading, and then smoke came pouring out from under the hood.. lost all power except windshield wipers automatically came on. It smoked for about 15 minutes. Had car towed to my mechanic. The alternator spiked such high voltage that it burnt up the alternator, burned the metal id tag on the alternator beyond recognition and burned up my battery so bad that the battery warped. Chrysler informed me that my alternator was a 180 amp, but we can't read the burnt up tag on the alternator so I'm not exacty sure what amp it is. I was told my 3 different mechanics that we are lucky my car didn't catch on fire.

- Hilton Head Island, SC, USA

Aug 132016

Grand Cherokee

The alternator on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee suddenly failed without any warning causing the vehicle to stall while driving, burning odor entered the interior of vehicle, alternator was smoking. On 8/13/16 I was driving the vehicle there was a sudden burning odor that entered the vehicle along with slightly increased belt driven whine noise. Within a couple of minutes the battery warning light came on immediately followed by the vehicle engine stalling. I was able to pull over, opened the hood, burning odor and smoke arising from alternator. I was able to get car to start up again after 15 minutes and drive less than a mile to my house. Continued burning odor and alternator whine noise. Contacted Chrysler/Jeep customer service spoke to representative and reported problem. I was informed that my vehicle had the 180 amp alternator. The 160 amp alternator for the model and year of my vehicle was recalled under P60 recall. I was informed by rep that because my alternator was 180 it was not part of recall. Did some research and found out that the failure of my 180amp alternator was exactly the same reason why the 160amp was recalled earlier for model and year of my vehicle. Got the vehicle towed to Jeep dealership who confirmed alternator failed. Spoke again to Jeep customer service who states the alternator for my vehicle was not part of recall case#29914869. No further assistance was provided by the manufacturer. The sudden failure of the alternator on this model and year have been identified and recalled for the 160 amp version, similar failure is occurring on the 180 amp versions and need to be recalled to remedy the dangerous situation of sudden stalling while driving and fire risk that exists from excessive heat of the alternator due to sudden failure. My vehicle is meticulously maintained and just passed multi point dealer inspection 2 weeks prior.

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA