CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 21)

Dec 192016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic), 15V115000 (electrical system), and 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting). The contact later found out that the repairs were not completed. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Medford, GA, USA

Jan 042017

Grand Cherokee

I was driving down a busy road in our town today. The battery light came on. Approximately 10 minutes later while still driving, the lights on dash started flashing on and off, seatbelt alarm started going off, windshield wipers started working without turning on. The radio turned off. I lost power steering. The vehicle shut off while still driving down the road. I had no power breaks--seemed to almost stop working. I was fortunate to get on side of road in grass to keep from getting hit by another car. If there had not been a grassy area there would have been an accident. The vehicle then was completely shut down--door locks would not work- tried to put key fob in ignition and could not get it back out--was unable to get back gate opened. I had to have car towed to dealership where I was told it was the alternator which in turned destroyed the gel type battery. I was also informed this was not covered under the alternator recall due to not matching my VIN number. I was first quoted $2,000 to cover the damage. I am very upset due to the fact that there could have been a serious car accident today. I am thankful my child was not in the car with me. I think it is terrible that the recall does not include the alternator in this 2012 grand Jeep Cherokee when the description of what "could" happen did happen to me today. I feel that Chrysler/Jeep should cover this damage in the recall of the alternator.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Oct 152016

Grand Cherokee

On 10/15 at approximately 9:30 pm a fire was noted with smoke coming out of hood while entering my garage. I shut off engine and thick white smoke filled garage. Aaa was called and came at 10:15 pm. Aaa tech diagnosed it as an electrical fire and refused to touch the car. Aaa was subsequently called on 10/26 when car was towed to Jeep dealer. Alternator, PCM ( electrical "brain") and battery( which was fairly new) were replaced at a cost of $1141.82 complaint filed with Jeep - complaint #30355332. Jeep declined responsibility.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 292016

Grand Cherokee

My power door locks stopped working. I made an appointment to have it repaired and the day I was going to drive my jgc to the dealer, all hell broke loose. Park assist stopped working, anti skid and 4 wheel drive also indicated errors. But worse, I could not move the shifting arm out of park. I had to have it dragged out of my garage by a local towing service. The dealer said it was a faulty tipm and had to be replaced. Once it is replaced, they can check on the power door lock issue. I've read the this is a pretty common problem for the 2012 jgc. In fact, it must be because the dealer said that he probably wouldn't be able to get a replacement part for at least a month. If this had happened on a recent trip to nyc, my family would have been stuck god knows where.

- Seneca Falls, NY, USA

Dec 172016

Grand Cherokee

Took my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee to arrigo Chrysler Dodge Jeep for 2 recalls in September 2016 one wiring issue in the visor and one fuel pump relay. Dealer informed me recalls were remedied. December 16, 2016 I was experiencing problems starting vehicle and problems with vehicle sputtering while driving and while stopped. Took car back to arrigo to diagnose problem. Was told problem was fuel pump relay at cost of approximately $650. Expressed my concerns that although recalls were recorded as "performed" in their system, car was not properly repaired. Service advisor told me there was nothing else wrong with my vehicle and the recall actually took place June 2015. That is incorrect as I called fca and they in fact verified that in their system, recall was entered as "completed" in September 2016 at same dealer, arrigo. Called arrigo and service advisor said he re-checked the vehicle and the fuel pump relay was actually in good shape, it was serviced in September 2016. He said the reason the check engine light was on was because the software needed updated and the check engine light would be okay and the vehicle was performing "as it is designed to work" having no other problems. I hesitantly paid $75 to have the "software updated" to avoid the $150 diagnostic fee if there is no service. One hour after I paid and left the dealer the check engine light came on and the vehicle began acting exactly like it had before "servicing" at the dealer. Also later in the evening I tried starting the car and noticed the car would continue to crank without turning the vehicle on. Again, the same problem I had before I took my car in. I believe no action was taken in repairing recall issues and they are trying to make customers pay ($650 in my case) to actually make the repairs.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Dec 162016

Grand Cherokee

Alternator failed while going down the freeway at 65 mpg, resulting in loss of steering and braking. Alternator is 180 amp model. Vehicle has only 80,384 miles. Alternator failure occurred without any warning, and resulted in battery failure as well. Total cost for two components: $900 plus labor through dealership.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 052016

Grand Cherokee

Alternator burned up while vehicle on. Vehicle was being driven down city road and when I stopped smoke and burn smell observed. It was found that there was an internal fault in the alternator, which shorted out the battery, starter and ECM (computer). Car had to be towed for repair. Jeep would not compensate $2,624 in repairs and $267 car rental since it was not on recall.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Grand Cherokee

I was backing into my driveway (Jeep was in motion) and had the radio on. I was coming home from work and the commute took 30 minutes. While backing in, I heard a popping noise (similar to the noise a pop-it firework makes when it hits the ground) inside the cabin. I turned the radio off and stopped the Jeep to listen to the popping. The popping stopped and I immediately smelled smoke. I then saw the smoke was coming from the right side of the center console near the heat/air controls. I threw the Jeep in park, removed the keys from the ignition, and exited the vehicle. After 5 minutes, I opened the driver side door and smoke poured out. It smelled burnt but I did not see any flames (I could have missed them in the 5 minutes I was standing outside my vehicle). I turned the Jeep back on in order to get it into my garage for further investigation. Upon returning the vehicle to my garage, the headlights and interior lights both turned on. I have an appointment at the Jeep dealer tomorrow to investigate further. I have no aftermarket parts on the vehicle though have not yet gotten the visor recall fixed. Please provide insight if possible. Very concerned. This poses an enormous safety risk.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Grand Cherokee

Battery light came on on dash while driving. Driver suspected low battery voltage. Vehicle battery was replaced. After a mile or so of driving battery light came on again, with a high pitched whine from the engine and burning smell. Alternator failure was diagnosed. Alternator and serpentine belt were replaced. Owner found out subsequently, that although this vehicle was not covered by the Jeep alternator recall, it is the same year and model of others that were covered. Repairs cost $250 for the battery, and approximately $1100 for the alternator, belt and labor. Owner believes that this vehicle shares the same fault as the recalled vehicles.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Grand Cherokee

Car started normally however, once I began driving, a number of diagnostics errors were displayed on the screen. I started to smell as though something was burning so I returned home. A few minutes after that, the entire car went dead. No power at all. I could not even lock the door. I see that there was a recall P60 / NHTSA 14V-634 related to the alternator and the description of events that could occur with that, was pretty close to what I experienced this morning. However, when I researched this with fca, I was told that my VIN was not a part of that recall. So now, I am thinking that I may have this defective equipment in my vehicle. I have to have the car towed to a local dealership for a diagnostic review but over the phone, the service rep believed that it sounds like an alternator/battery issue. I have also read numerous complaints from other Jeep owners about similar problems. I want to be covered in case this turns out to be an issue where my vehicle should have been included in the alternator recall but was not. I was lucky that the failure occurred before I got away from my home and on the freeway.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Nov 292016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle was serviced for recalls approximately 2 months ago after the vehicle stalled while driving. Yesterday, the vehicle began to smell like burned rubber and stalled while I was driving approximately 35 miles per hour in rush hour traffic. The vehicle completely died and needed towing to dealership. The dealership says alternator is burned up, along with computers and battery and do not acknowledge the ongoing issues with the alternator or electrical system in this model. This is not covered under the alternator recall according to the dealership and they maintain this is very different from the recall issues (although it acts the same). Very scary and dangerous.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Nov 282016

Grand Cherokee

As I was entering an expressway on ramp when Jeep slowed down, wipers came on, turn signals started flashing erratically. It slowed to crawl as I had to inch my way to the side of the road and I could not fully get out of road. A utility truck stopped and placed cones around my car to keep it from being hit until tow truck arrived. I since learned that most of the 2012 alternators were recalled but not the 180 amp alternators but it appears it is the exact same problem and I have learned from my mechanic and other websites that many other 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee's with 180 amp alternators are having same issue as the ones equipped with the 160 amp alternators. The alternator, battery and computer controlling alternator all had to be replaced at a cost of $2,000. The dealer wanted $3,000.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Oct 082016

Grand Cherokee

Car stalled while driving down the road. Lost all power. Took it in for repair, $4K of repairs including tipm, PCM, alternator and battery. Jeep unwilling to help in cost of repairs.

- Nolensville, TN, USA

Nov 232016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of power while being operated at various speeds. The failure occurred without warning. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. Prior to the failure, the vehicle experienced similar failures and was reminded per NHTSA campaign number: 15V115000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 104,566.

- Saratoga, CA, USA

Nov 182016

Grand Cherokee

I haven't had any trouble with my car. I was going to my dads when a battery light popped up. I was less than mile from his house. When I got to his house I cut the car off so my dad could check under the hood but he didn't see anything wrong with it. When I cranked the car back up my radio was cutting on and off, I cut the air on low and it started blowed heat out the defrost, and the windshield wipers start going off by theirselves. I cut the car off again so it would stop. When I tried to cut the car back on it wouldn't crank. My dad hooked it up to a battery charger because he thought the battery was dead. We got it cranked and left his house to take it straight to the Jeep dealership. We got about a mile down the rode and the lights were flickering, the steerwheel locked up and the car cut off. Under the hood started smoking. We were stranded on the side of the rode with my 4 year old son in the back seat. We had two people stop to try and jump the battery off but it was completely dead. We called a tow trunk and they towed it to there shop. They hooked up to there machines and said it was the alternator. Now I've paid $800 to get the alternator replaced. When the alternator went out it fried my power module control.

- Bamberg, SC, USA

Feb 122016

Grand Cherokee

In Feb 2016 was driving through town and my dashboard and Jeep started acting crazy and it just totally died as I tried pulling into gas station, was now blocking entrance/exit. Totally dead, couldn't put it in neutral and hazards didn't work. Replaced tipm costing me $1300. Then in Oct 2016, Jeep dashboard started going crazy again and died as I'm driving and turning in the middle of an intersection! everything dead, no hazards, lights anything and it was pitch black. I was lucky I didn't get hit. Now they said it was battery even though I argued that it wasn't, I said it was the tipm again. They replace battery, but battery light came on right after I left dealer. Then they said it was the alternator. Got it replace but it wasn't the alternator, it was the tipm again! they covered that since I just paid for it in February. Faulty tipm's caused my Jeep to totally die as I'm driving - twice!! if I was on a highway, it would have been horrific. And both times I had my kids in the Jeep with me. Absolutely unacceptable. Never buying a Jeep again. This is so dangerous.

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Nov 142016

Grand Cherokee

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee suffered rapid failure of alternator after being driven for 2 miles after oil change from dealer. Smoked for15 minutes after being turned off. Resulted in total shutdown of the electrical system

- Gretna, LA, USA

Jun 212016

Grand Cherokee

Electrical short in passenger side sun visor caught the interior of the vehicle on fire while parked in our garage. We had noticed a burning smell a week earlier and my wife had seen smoke in the passenger cabin. We immediately took it to the dealer and they kept it four days before returning it to us, blaming a rodent nest in the ventilation fan. Three days later it caught fire.

- Westville, IN, USA

Aug 012015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Within the span of approximately 15 months, the engine has randomly turned off 8 times in the middle of driving. When this occurs, the car loses power steering and braking, making it difficult to control, aside from the fact that the car can not safely be moved to a safe emergency stop location. The car has been to the dealership numerous times, but with no solution. The dealer has performed all recalls and software updates, but these have not solved the problem. The dealer has stated that they cannot replicate the problem, so therefore cannot fix it. Chrysler customer care was contacted and a case manager was assigned to the case. The case manager instructed the dealership to drive the car, which they had done before, to try to replicate the problem. They were unable to do so and the case manager has stated that there is nothing that can be done if the problem cannot be replicated. When asked what to do in the event the vehicle causes an accident, the case manager stated to contact him at that point and he will take the case "to the next level". in short, the car must be involved in an accident before Chrysler is willing to do anything. At this point, we are not comfortable driving this car for which we are paying a lot of money and are not being offered any solutions.

- Old Saybrook, CT, USA

Oct 292016

Grand Cherokee

NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 / Chrysler recall P60 already exists but that is for 160 amp mine is 180 amp, I think that is the only difference. My Jeep died and would not start up again. All power was lost 100%, luckily my family and I were stopped at a gas station getting sodas. It sounds exactly like the same issue of the recall that is already out but also effects my Jeep with the 180 amp alternator. According to Chrysler that is the only difference in the two models. Mine is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.6L

- Glen Carbon, IL, USA