CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 252013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V115000 (equipment, tires); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Mar 232015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee check engine light was on and stalled then pulled over to side of street then restarted engine.took to Dodge dealership -had major engine failure no-to low compression on lft cylinder head. Is the fuel tank on this vehicle defective will it leak and explode/catch fire if rear ended? this vehicle was owned by dealership with open/active recall safety defects. Should I be concerned with driving this vehicle. Dealership did not disclose this when they sold the vehicle. How is this legal and allowed to get away with this dangerous vehicle. I don't want to put my family in it. Maybe the dealership owner will put his family in it since he's selling defective cars. I just get another safety recall notice. This vehicle is an accident/fatality waiting to happen. The manufacturer/dealership should refund the purchase price or be criminally charged. I paid thousands of $'s, this vehicle is a total loss who going to buy it.

- Corona, CA, USA

Apr 142015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the malfunction indicator warning sensor and the electronic throttle sensor lights illuminated as the vehicle speed began to decelerate. The contact stopped the vehicle and opened the hood where black smoke and flames started to emit from the engine compartment. The fire department extinguished the flames. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Wateerford, MI, USA

Apr 012015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to lack of parts to fix sun visor vanity lamp wiring under recall. The consumer stated the dash rattled, the sunroof had to be fixed on several occasions, the glove box, alternator and engine head were replaced.

- Port Ludlow, WA, USA

Dec 012014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While driving on a rainy day, my car shut of-at the time I was doing approx 50 mph. I had to pull over to the side and restart the car. When I took my car, I was informed there is a tipm issue and my computer needed to be replaced, costing me over $1500. Since my warranty expired, I have to pay out of pocket. My hands are tied on this one, as it potentially can cause a serious safety issue for my future. Also a problem with the tipm, my car has failed to start on approx 10 occasions. It takes me about 20 minutes to get it to start.

- Oak Park, CA, USA

Jan 222015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, all of the warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wetmore, CO, USA

Feb 182015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The engine would want start. Repeatedly attempted to start the engine with it seeming to turn over but not start. I had to wait several minutes and retry until the engine finally did start. This is the second occurrence of this sporadic engine start issue. Previously, I took the car to a mechanic and they were unable to reproduce the engine start issue after many attempts.

- Indian Harbour Beach, FL, USA

Jun 062014

Grand Cherokee

I have had multiple problems with my 2012 Grand Cherokee. All of the external lights modules ---headlights and tail lights--- went out and had to be replaced due to an electrical problem then the car sometimes wouldn't start. The dealer couldn't replicate the problem so told me they couldn't do anything. Finally one time it happened at the dealer and they figured it was a defect in the keyless entry that was reading the signal from the key fob. Then when they were inspecting the car they found the rear shock was leaking. They ordered a new part in June and it was finally replaced in Oct as the part was on back order. On a routine oil change the service tech told me I needed routine maintenance check ( 30000 miles) to the tune of $1700 and wanted me to do it right then.. the day after this oil change the check engine light comes on. I called the dealer. They said it was probably because I hadn't done my 30000 mile check ( the day before). He said it could be variable things but probably a bad spark plug that needed to be replaced ( part of the $1700 check he had wanted me to do). I said I had other cars including a 2002 Jeep and I hadn't had to replace the spark plugs at 30000 miles. Then he realized my 3.6 L car did not need spark plugs changed at 30000 ---- only the 5.7 did. Yesterday I checked my fluids and saw the power steering fluid was way low. I called the dealer to see if this was normal. The tech said no--- the steering fluid was in a contained system and should not loose fluid. He said I must have a leak somewhere in the system. He said it was very dangerous but not covered under warranty. He said the engine could catch fire or I could loose steering. Why wouldn't this be covered under warranty? it is dangerous. The car only has 36000 miles and this leak should not happen.

- Reno, NV, USA

Feb 062015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Jeep attempts to start when start is pushed. Engine turns but will not start. Occasionally it starts and then quickly shuts down. Other times it starts and runs perfectly.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jan 252015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the fuel exchange module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Compton, CA, USA

Jan 262015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The engine malfunction light came on and I took it to the Chrysler dealership on 1/28/2015. The codes that were set said the engine had a misfire and the left head would have to be replaced on the engine. I looked this up on the internet and this is a known problem with the 3.6 liter V-6 pentastar engines. It appears that Chrysler said this problem only existed in half of 1% of this type of engine. It appears that the internet is full of people having this same problem. I would like to know if you are aware of this problem and exactly how many engines have had the left head replaced.

- Kevil, KY, USA

Jan 242015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On my vehicle dealers web site there is notice of the following recall. I purchased the vehicle used from them. They have no record of this recall being performed. Please advise if the recall applies to the subject vehicle and if you have any record of it being necessary to do or if it was done at another dealer. Thank you my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee recalls makemodelyearsummary of recall jeepgrand cherokee2012chrysler is recalling certain model year 2012 Chrysler vehicles, including 200 and town and country models, Dodge vehicles, including charger, durango, Grand Caravan and journey models and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured from August 31, 2011, through September 13, 2011, that are equipped with 3.6L engines. These engines may experience connecting rod bearing failure due to debris inside the engine block. Connecting rod failure may lead to engine seizure which may increase the risk of a crash. Chrysler will notify owners and replace the engine free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or about November 18, 2011. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403. This is Chrysler safety recall number L33.owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go towww.safercar.gov.

- Whiting, NJ, USA

Jan 222015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled while stopped at stop light. When started, idled very rough and stalled again. Car was towed to dealer. Dealer indicated failure in fuel pump relay. Repair involves disabling of fuel pump relay in totally integrated power module (tipm) and installing external fuel pump relay. Failure also resulted in failure of valve spring. The repair regarding the fuel pump is identical to the repair outlined in Chrysler safety recall P54/NHTSA 14V-530, which per Chrysler customer service rep is only applicable to 2011 vehicles and not 2012 vehicles. This fuel pump failure affects more vehicles than outlined by original recall.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Nov 252014

Grand Cherokee

The engine would turn over, but it would not start. It would start again after ten minutes or so. It has happened three times and been to the dealer twice. The dealer says they do not know what is wrong and can't fix it. The internet has information indicating that Chrysler knows about the problem but does not have the parts to fix it. Apparently, it could be an issue with the tipm.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Nov 142012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph attempting to stop, the brakes failed. The engine stalled and restarted shortly after. The problem recurred approximately 3 times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 11,000.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Apr 172014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has stalled when turning on and has often not turned on. When driving the vehicle the car has shut off almost causing an accident.this has happened on many occasions. The car accelerates often when driving the lights, airbag symbols, etc turn on erratic. I had to replace the alternator and battery due to faulty timp which Jeep has recalls on however not my year although-my car has the same problems which I have to pay for and I have researched and many other Jeep owners have the same issues and Jeep is very aware and are not taking responsibility, I feel unsafe driving this car especially with my children, the car is unreliable and have been late to work due to the car stalls and lack og turning on. This car has a mind of its own starts when it feels like it, speeds up on its own, lights turn on off, tells U keys left the car when it hasn't. very angry at Jeep I should not have to pay for faulty equipment due to your negligence!

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 112014

Grand Cherokee

Attempted to use the autostart to warm vehicle and after one minute it shut off. Tried 5 times to start vehicle using push button, would not start or stop. Finally let me start with keyfob. I contacted dealer that morning and was told it is most likely the tipm but they don't have any; also I was told it is unsafe to drive my vehicle and get it repaired asap. Luckily I was able to locate a dealership with an appointment and part to fix it; even though they told me the computer might just need an update. Vehicle continued to not start at random times using keyfob. Having issues starting car up to the time I drove it across town to dealership, it would not turn over, sputtered, shook and started. I also have parts on order (been on order since 9/28/14) for the active recalls for brake booster and sun visor fires. I always hear a running sound after the vehicle has been shut off. Chrysler's customer services department is no help. I expressed my concern with all the recall/safety issues via email and was told "sorry to hear of your concerns and delay in having parts. I regret the problems you are having with your vehicle. Unfortunately we are unable to diagnosis your vehicles issues via email. We recommend contacting your authorized dealership to arrange an appointment." Did they even read my complaint!!! I have an appointment to have it fixed but what happens between now and then. What happened to the dependable Chrysler products? this is my 5th in 18 years of driving and my last. Hopefully I do not hurt/kill anyone or myself behind the wheel of this vehicle. I am scared to drive it. It is a 2012 with 28K on it, this is just disgusting! for as much as these Jeep cost I expect a better product and customer service from Chrysler. Their dealerships can only do so much without backing from the manufacturer. Chrysler needs to fix these issues these are safety issues.

- Aurora , CO, USA

Sep 252014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My wife was driving the vehicle when all of the sudden the engine started to rev and would not shift up or down. She could only go maybe 20 mph - people passing and honking on a 4 lane road. She found an area and pulled off the road into a retail parking lot. She put the car in park and then shifted back into drive and the issue continued as the car moved but the engine rev'ed without shifting to the next gear. She put the car in park and called the local dealer, where she was told to call Chrysler road side assistance and have it towed in. The dealer took a look at it the next day and could not make it happen again. They said they re chipped it I believe(reset the electronics). This same issue happen again approx. 30 days later and it was towed in and they could not find any issue. They said we had to take the vehicle back and there was nothing they could do. We have had the vehicle towed twice now both in the morning taking our daughter to school. We cannot trust this vehicle and are looking at selling it. That is what the dealer suggested as well.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Oct 142014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Total power loss in cabin and engine, unable to open passenger doors from inside. The vehicle would not start and there was a burning circuit smell emitting from under the tipm. Aaa tried giving a jump but the vehicle would not turn over even though temporary electrical power had been established while connected to aaa power source. Electrical power was lost upon disconnect from aaa source. Dealership determined that the problem was alternator failure which resulted in subsequent damage to the vehicles battery and connecting cables. Dealership also determined that the burning smell emitted from the battery.

- New York City, NY, USA

Jun 302014

Grand Cherokee

06/30/2014: Car was craning slow. Outcome: Battery replaced. Brake booster recall and replaced. 08/18/2014: Car was towed in. Outcome: Fuel pump overlay was replaced. 09/15/2014: Car was towed in not starting. Outcome: Battery replaced and new alternator replaced. Last incident happened on 09/12/2014 I was driving home, the car panel started flashing, vehicle shut off, and I lost power steering. No control of my car. Thankful I wasn't in an accident. I had my children in the car. Precious cargo. This is a huge safety issue and concern. If I was on the freeway I can only imagine what would have happened. My car only has 37K miles on it. An alternator should not be needed to be replaced at such low mileage. I can understand 100K. Plus 2 battery replaces needed within 2 months. This car is not reliable nor safe.

- San Diego, CA, USA