CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jun 052015

Grand Cherokee

Abruptly stalling while traveling on interstate highway. Complete loss of all power, requiring to get off the road, place in park and re-start. Re starts without hesitation. Incident has occurred 5 different dates/times and the dealer has no fix stating they are unable to replicate the issue. Most recent date 06/05/2015

- Brighton, MI, USA

Apr 272015

Grand Cherokee

On April 27, 2015 I received important safety recall #R09/NHTSA 14V-115 stating that my vehicle had a defective fuel pump relay which could cause the engine to stall while driving and cause a crash without warning. In other words a serious possibly deadly crash could occur following the sudden shut down of the engine and power systems. To date, Jeep/Chrysler/fca repeatedly has told me there are no parts to repair the defect and no projected date for repairs.the dealer will not provide a safe loaner vehicle in the interim. So, I drive a deadly vehicle (deadly for myself and other drivers) for some indeterminate period of time. If the vehicle is unsafe as it is reported to be, it should be parked and the manufacturer and dealer should provide an immediate fix or an alternate vehicle. This situation is absurd. Have we not learned anything from the GM ignition switch situation? apparently not.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

May 092015

Grand Cherokee

I returned my single axel motorcycle trailer to the gravel storage lot and backed it into it's space. With the engine idling I put it in park, exited the vehicle and disconnected the trailer from the vehicle. I got back into the vehicle to idle it forward a couple feet to allow clearance for the removal of the trailer hitch from the receiver. With my foot on the brake I shifted from park to drive. Immediately upon being put in drive the engine accelerated to over 5,000 rpms and the vehicle lurched forward. I tried to shift back into park but hit reverse causing the vehicle to lurch backwards. I continued to push the transmission forward into park and shut off the engine. All this occurred with my foot firmly on the brake peddle. The incident lasted about three or four seconds. The rear tires spun in the gravel creating 3 inch deep divots. The vehicle is equipped with a 5.7L engine. My first thought was that the engine was going to explode. Luckily there was no injury or property damage. The local Jeep dealer inspected the vehicle and was unable to identify a cause.

- Richland, WA, USA

Feb 272015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle was brought in to dealer on 3/24/15 for stalling issues and other safety recalls. Car had not started on at least 4 occasions up until 3/24/25. I was told the key fob batteries needed to be replaced and that may fix the issue. I paid to have both batteries replaced. On 5/4/15 I brought the vehicle back to the dealer because the not starting issue had become more extreme. It occurred 8 times since the 3/24/15 service and on one occasion it would not accelerate while I was driving on a highway. There was an extreme delay and suddenly the car reacted and lurched forward. This was the first time it had ever done this. Additionally, on one occasion of not starting it continued to chug instead of just not reacting. Dealer advised again that one of the key fobs needed to have a battery replaced (both were replaced the previous month) and that they didn't have parts for the safety recall. Headquarters advised they would let me know in a few weeks or months when the parts would be available. The problems is rapidly getting worse and there are indications that there may be issues while I am driving it as well. I have asked for escalation and something even a temporary fix be done. No response from headquarters yet.

- Woodbine, MD, USA

Jul 252013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V115000 (equipment, tires); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Mar 232015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee check engine light was on and stalled then pulled over to side of street then restarted engine.took to Dodge dealership -had major engine failure no-to low compression on lft cylinder head. Is the fuel tank on this vehicle defective will it leak and explode/catch fire if rear ended? this vehicle was owned by dealership with open/active recall safety defects. Should I be concerned with driving this vehicle. Dealership did not disclose this when they sold the vehicle. How is this legal and allowed to get away with this dangerous vehicle. I don't want to put my family in it. Maybe the dealership owner will put his family in it since he's selling defective cars. I just get another safety recall notice. This vehicle is an accident/fatality waiting to happen. The manufacturer/dealership should refund the purchase price or be criminally charged. I paid thousands of $'s, this vehicle is a total loss who going to buy it.

- Corona, CA, USA

Apr 142015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owned a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the malfunction indicator warning sensor and the electronic throttle sensor lights illuminated as the vehicle speed began to decelerate. The contact stopped the vehicle and opened the hood where black smoke and flames started to emit from the engine compartment. The fire department extinguished the flames. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Wateerford, MI, USA

Apr 012015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to lack of parts to fix sun visor vanity lamp wiring under recall. The consumer stated the dash rattled, the sunroof had to be fixed on several occasions, the glove box, alternator and engine head were replaced.

- Port Ludlow, WA, USA

Dec 012014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

While driving on a rainy day, my car shut of-at the time I was doing approx 50 mph. I had to pull over to the side and restart the car. When I took my car, I was informed there is a tipm issue and my computer needed to be replaced, costing me over $1500. Since my warranty expired, I have to pay out of pocket. My hands are tied on this one, as it potentially can cause a serious safety issue for my future. Also a problem with the tipm, my car has failed to start on approx 10 occasions. It takes me about 20 minutes to get it to start.

- Oak Park, CA, USA

Jan 222015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, all of the warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wetmore, CO, USA

Feb 182015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The engine would want start. Repeatedly attempted to start the engine with it seeming to turn over but not start. I had to wait several minutes and retry until the engine finally did start. This is the second occurrence of this sporadic engine start issue. Previously, I took the car to a mechanic and they were unable to reproduce the engine start issue after many attempts.

- Indian Harbour Beach, FL, USA

Jun 062014

Grand Cherokee

I have had multiple problems with my 2012 Grand Cherokee. All of the external lights modules ---headlights and tail lights--- went out and had to be replaced due to an electrical problem then the car sometimes wouldn't start. The dealer couldn't replicate the problem so told me they couldn't do anything. Finally one time it happened at the dealer and they figured it was a defect in the keyless entry that was reading the signal from the key fob. Then when they were inspecting the car they found the rear shock was leaking. They ordered a new part in June and it was finally replaced in Oct as the part was on back order. On a routine oil change the service tech told me I needed routine maintenance check ( 30000 miles) to the tune of $1700 and wanted me to do it right then.. the day after this oil change the check engine light comes on. I called the dealer. They said it was probably because I hadn't done my 30000 mile check ( the day before). He said it could be variable things but probably a bad spark plug that needed to be replaced ( part of the $1700 check he had wanted me to do). I said I had other cars including a 2002 Jeep and I hadn't had to replace the spark plugs at 30000 miles. Then he realized my 3.6 L car did not need spark plugs changed at 30000 ---- only the 5.7 did. Yesterday I checked my fluids and saw the power steering fluid was way low. I called the dealer to see if this was normal. The tech said no--- the steering fluid was in a contained system and should not loose fluid. He said I must have a leak somewhere in the system. He said it was very dangerous but not covered under warranty. He said the engine could catch fire or I could loose steering. Why wouldn't this be covered under warranty? it is dangerous. The car only has 36000 miles and this leak should not happen.

- Reno, NV, USA

Feb 062015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Jeep attempts to start when start is pushed. Engine turns but will not start. Occasionally it starts and then quickly shuts down. Other times it starts and runs perfectly.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jan 252015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the fuel exchange module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Compton, CA, USA

Jan 262015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The engine malfunction light came on and I took it to the Chrysler dealership on 1/28/2015. The codes that were set said the engine had a misfire and the left head would have to be replaced on the engine. I looked this up on the internet and this is a known problem with the 3.6 liter V-6 pentastar engines. It appears that Chrysler said this problem only existed in half of 1% of this type of engine. It appears that the internet is full of people having this same problem. I would like to know if you are aware of this problem and exactly how many engines have had the left head replaced.

- Kevil, KY, USA

Jan 242015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On my vehicle dealers web site there is notice of the following recall. I purchased the vehicle used from them. They have no record of this recall being performed. Please advise if the recall applies to the subject vehicle and if you have any record of it being necessary to do or if it was done at another dealer. Thank you my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee recalls makemodelyearsummary of recall jeepgrand cherokee2012chrysler is recalling certain model year 2012 Chrysler vehicles, including 200 and town and country models, Dodge vehicles, including charger, durango, Grand Caravan and journey models and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured from August 31, 2011, through September 13, 2011, that are equipped with 3.6L engines. These engines may experience connecting rod bearing failure due to debris inside the engine block. Connecting rod failure may lead to engine seizure which may increase the risk of a crash. Chrysler will notify owners and replace the engine free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or about November 18, 2011. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403. This is Chrysler safety recall number L33.owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go towww.safercar.gov.

- Whiting, NJ, USA

Jan 222015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled while stopped at stop light. When started, idled very rough and stalled again. Car was towed to dealer. Dealer indicated failure in fuel pump relay. Repair involves disabling of fuel pump relay in totally integrated power module (tipm) and installing external fuel pump relay. Failure also resulted in failure of valve spring. The repair regarding the fuel pump is identical to the repair outlined in Chrysler safety recall P54/NHTSA 14V-530, which per Chrysler customer service rep is only applicable to 2011 vehicles and not 2012 vehicles. This fuel pump failure affects more vehicles than outlined by original recall.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Nov 252014

Grand Cherokee

The engine would turn over, but it would not start. It would start again after ten minutes or so. It has happened three times and been to the dealer twice. The dealer says they do not know what is wrong and can't fix it. The internet has information indicating that Chrysler knows about the problem but does not have the parts to fix it. Apparently, it could be an issue with the tipm.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Nov 142012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph attempting to stop, the brakes failed. The engine stalled and restarted shortly after. The problem recurred approximately 3 times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 11,000.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Apr 172014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has stalled when turning on and has often not turned on. When driving the vehicle the car has shut off almost causing an accident.this has happened on many occasions. The car accelerates often when driving the lights, airbag symbols, etc turn on erratic. I had to replace the alternator and battery due to faulty timp which Jeep has recalls on however not my year although-my car has the same problems which I have to pay for and I have researched and many other Jeep owners have the same issues and Jeep is very aware and are not taking responsibility, I feel unsafe driving this car especially with my children, the car is unreliable and have been late to work due to the car stalls and lack og turning on. This car has a mind of its own starts when it feels like it, speeds up on its own, lights turn on off, tells U keys left the car when it hasn't. very angry at Jeep I should not have to pay for faulty equipment due to your negligence!

- Brooklyn, NY, USA