CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Nov 112014

Grand Cherokee

Attempted to use the autostart to warm vehicle and after one minute it shut off. Tried 5 times to start vehicle using push button, would not start or stop. Finally let me start with keyfob. I contacted dealer that morning and was told it is most likely the tipm but they don't have any; also I was told it is unsafe to drive my vehicle and get it repaired asap. Luckily I was able to locate a dealership with an appointment and part to fix it; even though they told me the computer might just need an update. Vehicle continued to not start at random times using keyfob. Having issues starting car up to the time I drove it across town to dealership, it would not turn over, sputtered, shook and started. I also have parts on order (been on order since 9/28/14) for the active recalls for brake booster and sun visor fires. I always hear a running sound after the vehicle has been shut off. Chrysler's customer services department is no help. I expressed my concern with all the recall/safety issues via email and was told "sorry to hear of your concerns and delay in having parts. I regret the problems you are having with your vehicle. Unfortunately we are unable to diagnosis your vehicles issues via email. We recommend contacting your authorized dealership to arrange an appointment." Did they even read my complaint!!! I have an appointment to have it fixed but what happens between now and then. What happened to the dependable Chrysler products? this is my 5th in 18 years of driving and my last. Hopefully I do not hurt/kill anyone or myself behind the wheel of this vehicle. I am scared to drive it. It is a 2012 with 28K on it, this is just disgusting! for as much as these Jeep cost I expect a better product and customer service from Chrysler. Their dealerships can only do so much without backing from the manufacturer. Chrysler needs to fix these issues these are safety issues.

- Aurora , CO, USA

Sep 252014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My wife was driving the vehicle when all of the sudden the engine started to rev and would not shift up or down. She could only go maybe 20 mph - people passing and honking on a 4 lane road. She found an area and pulled off the road into a retail parking lot. She put the car in park and then shifted back into drive and the issue continued as the car moved but the engine rev'ed without shifting to the next gear. She put the car in park and called the local dealer, where she was told to call Chrysler road side assistance and have it towed in. The dealer took a look at it the next day and could not make it happen again. They said they re chipped it I believe(reset the electronics). This same issue happen again approx. 30 days later and it was towed in and they could not find any issue. They said we had to take the vehicle back and there was nothing they could do. We have had the vehicle towed twice now both in the morning taking our daughter to school. We cannot trust this vehicle and are looking at selling it. That is what the dealer suggested as well.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Oct 142014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Total power loss in cabin and engine, unable to open passenger doors from inside. The vehicle would not start and there was a burning circuit smell emitting from under the tipm. Aaa tried giving a jump but the vehicle would not turn over even though temporary electrical power had been established while connected to aaa power source. Electrical power was lost upon disconnect from aaa source. Dealership determined that the problem was alternator failure which resulted in subsequent damage to the vehicles battery and connecting cables. Dealership also determined that the burning smell emitted from the battery.

- New York City, NY, USA

Jun 302014

Grand Cherokee

06/30/2014: Car was craning slow. Outcome: Battery replaced. Brake booster recall and replaced. 08/18/2014: Car was towed in. Outcome: Fuel pump overlay was replaced. 09/15/2014: Car was towed in not starting. Outcome: Battery replaced and new alternator replaced. Last incident happened on 09/12/2014 I was driving home, the car panel started flashing, vehicle shut off, and I lost power steering. No control of my car. Thankful I wasn't in an accident. I had my children in the car. Precious cargo. This is a huge safety issue and concern. If I was on the freeway I can only imagine what would have happened. My car only has 37K miles on it. An alternator should not be needed to be replaced at such low mileage. I can understand 100K. Plus 2 battery replaces needed within 2 months. This car is not reliable nor safe.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 052014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

On three separate occasions over the past two months, I have experienced an unanticipated engine stall when decelerating from highway speed in order to make a turn (both right and left). In each of these instances, as I was in the turn (or immediately before), the engine stalled, leaving me without power-assisted steering or brakes. This makes the vehicle difficult to control, as the amount of physical force needed to complete a turn is very substantial. In each instance, after bringing the vehicle under control, I was able to restart it by placing the shift selector in "neutral, " applying pressure to the brake pedal, and pushing the engine start button. While I have sufficient arm strength to have been able to maintain control in each of these instances, it is, at a minimum, a surprising and unexpected event to have steering and brake assist fail simultaneously. A smaller person could easily lose control of the vehicle under these circumstances. I do not know whether, when this occurs, the airbags are disabled, but that may also be a matter of concern.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Aug 062014

Grand Cherokee

I want to launch a complaint that today my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee's engine caught on fire. I was stopped at a stop sign and noticed my car started smoking. A police officer in the car behind me told me to get out of the car because the car was on fire. The car was towed to the Jeep dealership and I'm waiting for them to tell me what happened. When I got home I noticed three small pools of dried and wet red fluid that may have been leaking from my hood and be in someway related to this incident. I would like to know if there has been some type of recall or complaint linked to red fluid and engine fires. Thank you.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 282012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Engine started running roughly and attempted to stall in traffic. Check engine light came on. I went to Jeep dealer in gulf shores Alabama and was told that the left cylinder head was defective. I was also advised that it was a manufacturing defect that could result in catastrophic engine failure. It is a well known defect in the 2012 Cherokee with the 3.6 pentastar engine. If this vehicle had stalled while on an interstate ramp, or a valve in the defective head dropped down into the cylinder, an accident could result. Jeep has full knowledge of this defect but has not issued a recall. This could be as serious as the GM ignition switch issue.

- Gilbertown, AL, USA

Dec 052012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

This has happened 3 times, the first time I had just gone through the dulles toll and as I paid the toll and pulled off the engine did not stay in drive, it went into 1st or 2nd gear. The second and third time I was again driving on the beltway and the gear switched from drive to neutral or a lower gear. Each time (3) I had to pull over and stop and go into park and then back into drive. Don't know if it's an engine, gear or power train issue. Also almost daily when driving, the engine sounds like it's pulling/straining and not going all the way into drive. This is happening in the winter and summer (any time of year, not weather specific). I always warm the car up before driving it. When the engine is not having this issue, it drives very smoothly. The issue happens 75% of the time (except when I take it to the dealer, it always drive smoothly when they take it out). Have taken it to the dealer and complained but the response has been that when they took it out to test drive it, it was fine and they would have to keep it and do several test drives to see if it will replicate the situation. Because I need my vehicle to get back and forth to work each day and they are not willing to pay for a rental or provide a loaner, that isn't possible. I don't have the funds to rent a car and pay a car note. I received the recall for the issue with the brakes so hopefully my experience with the brake needing to be pushed on firmly will go way when the part's come in (huge back order, on waiting list for parts). I also get the car serviced regularly (when it's time) so I know that's not the problem.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Jun 102013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

There have been four incidents while driving my vehicle at speed from 35 to upwards of 70 mph, my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee without warning powers off and engine shuts off. The issues were diagnosed by criswell Jeep service center, whereby the first occurrence was due a faulty and loose ground/ the subsequent re-occurrences were due to failure of totally integrated power module (tipm) which was replaced at mileage of 10,811. Oddly, one year for second on June 10, 2014, same issue recurred. I contracted Chrysler to report the defect and open a file on the matter. They instructed to take to another Jeep service center for secondary assessment on electrical issues identified a year earlier. Darcars Jeep service center could not find nothing wrong even after their technician drove my SUV to his residence and added 62 miles onto my vehicle. In conclusion, I informed a"possible of "fix" but the solution is unproven and not supported by Chrysler. Parts are on order to install a new receiver, antenna-R and antenna-P which should cure what is deem as unidentifiable issue.

- Germantown, MD, USA

May 122014

Grand Cherokee

Bought Jeep new on 12/2012. Check engine light came on last week, took it to auto parts store to have it hooked up to computer and it read cylinder 4 misfiring. Called Jeep dealer and brought it in for service, they called and said it was the cylinder head and will replace. This makes me very concerned to see so many others having similar problems. Wasn't even given a loaner car while repair was done because I didn't have the extended warranty. I only have 15,000 miles on car, shouldn't need extended warranty!! maybe Jeep is trying to tell us something.

- Waterford, NY, USA

Aug 162013

Grand Cherokee

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was bought brand new in December 2011. In 2013 I experienced my first incident where my Jeep started, ran for 1-2 seconds, then died. I tried multiple times to restart it and could not get it to restart. I finally decided to completely turn off the vehicle and start the ignition process over. Thankfully that seemed to work. Between the first incident and the next service visit (January 2014), this happened approximately 6-10 times. I made the dealer aware of the issue and they noted it on the service sheet; however they told me they saw no error codes and could not recreate the problem. The in February I had an incident where it started then stalled, then the security alarm sounded. I had to remove the push start and use the key in the ignition in order to disengage the security system. Then approximately one week later I started the Jeep to go to work and it died after running for 1-2 seconds. I restarted the ignition process, this time when I let go of the push button start the starter continued to crank for approximately 10 seconds, until I exited the vehicle and locked the car. Now in the last two days the vehicle has started, ran for 1-2 seconds, then died on three separate occasions. I have made an appointment with the dealer and shared the above information with them. I have advised them that I think I have a bad tipm. I am hoping to get this addressed immediately since I have 33,500 miles on the vehicle and do not want this to be replaced after the warranty expires. I am seeing the average cost to replace the tipm at a dealer is $1200-$1400. There are enough similar stories about these sort of issues that Jeep/Chrysler should issue a recall and stand behind their product.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

2012 Grand Cherokee V8 overland summit. Engine won't start at random times. Engine just cranks and cranks but won't fire. Let it sit for a while then will start. Been into the dealer 3 times now since August 2013. They replaced fuel pump overlay harness after checking found no fuel pressure, and found a "star case" with fix. This did nothing as problem still occurs multiple times a week. Dealer claims they have never heard of this problem.

- Hampton, NH, USA

Jan 162013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

This Jeep has remote key-less entry/engine start. The engine cannot be turned off unless the gear shift is in park. If the throttle stays open causing unintended acceleration, one cannot turn the engine off. This could result in one or more deaths and/or serious injury! if one had an accident causing the engine to rev up due to a jammed gas pedal, how do one turn it off" Chrysler customer service was contacted about this issue and their response was "the characteristic you describe, however, is a function of your vehicle's design and there is nothing that can be done to ?fix" the condition." Reference number: Email case number: Supplied upon request. In other words they don't care about this safety issue! I have another car that can have the engine turned off, but it is a standard transmission. Madza's can be turned off while in drive with automatic transmissions. This Jeep was purchased in the usa.

- Brantford, NY, USA

Jan 092014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

This vehicle has recurring starting issues. At any time, cold or warm engine the ignition would engage and the engine fails to start. Service dealership has not identified any specific reason why this occurs. On January 8th, the same starting issue occurred and this time the engine light appeared. The service dealership has identified a bad cylinder head. There recommended repairs are replacement of the cylinder head and associated components. Service dealership stated the starting issue is not related to the cylinder head. They stated they would replace the fuel pump in an effort to resolve the starting issue. In discussions with Jeep customer service they stated the cylinder head issue is related to NHTSA campaign number: 11V487000. Upon reviewing this campaign it states the "engine requires replacement". I am not satisfied with a cylinder repair and a probable fix of the starting issue were the vehicle mileage is only 29K. I agree with NHTSA campaign requiring replacement of the engine.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

On 11/11/13, I took my car in for the state inspection and reported the issue of the car not starting / stalling out to huffines Jeep in plano, tx. Huffines diagnosed the problem as a faulty tipm. The replacement tipm was installed on 11/25/13. On 11/29/13, I noticed that every time I use my right blinker, my fog lights flash. Car still does not start/stay running after starting and it has taken up to 8 tries to get it going. Even if it sounds like the car started, it will sometimes die after running a few seconds. I've also noticed that the doors do not always lock when I press the button on the door handle. This is also related to the tipm. Additionally, on 11/29/13, the dash light came on notifying me that the key fob battery was low. I replaced the key fob battery that day but that had no impact on the greater problems of the car not starting and the fog lights flashing when the right signal is activated. Will be taking my Jeep back to huffines tomorrow morning.

- Plano, TX, USA

Apr 052013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

April 5, 2013, less than a year (purchased - 2012 Jeep grande Cherokee Laredo) the check engine light went on, took vehicle to service department, and informed my service provider (Jeep dealership) there is a "problem" with the cylinder head. Very disturbing because the vehicle was purchased brand new, less than 10K miles and already a major part must be replaced on a "brand new" vehicle. I am informed that is not a common, and there are several other owners with the same problem "check engine light on". repair took more than three days, because the entire engine must be taken out to replace these two cylinders. Very alarming and very concerned for the future of this vehicle, what else could possibly go wrong next? two months later, driver side seat must be replaced due to cracks in the "leather". two months after, brakes are making strange noises, acceleration very slow, stalls, must press very hard on gas pedal for vehicle to pick up speed, very frightening especially when entering the freeway. Door panels appears loose, the doors (3) will not stay open, requires extra push and hold before it stays open by itself. To close the door I must literally slam the door, otherwise not shut, very disturbing because my childrens sit back there. Hopefully this is my last encounter the cameras (back) of vehicle flash on and off, I am very concern especially when the position of the driver seat makes looking back very difficult, the camera cannot be functioning inefficiently. The vehicle has a 3/year or 36,000 mile warranty and with the amount of issues I have encountered I do not find that to be sufficient or even utterly appropriate. I purchased a brand new vehicle not a used. If there were no warranties I could not imagined paying out of pocket thousands of dollars on repairs.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Grand Cherokee

While driving our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited the vehicle completely powers down. The engine shuts off and we loose all power to the vehicle. This has occurred a number of times both at low and high speeds. The vehicle will restart and operate normally immediately after these occurrences. Over the past two months three attempts have been made to repair the vehicle and the problem continues. Jeep believes they have identified the cause of the problem (wiring from tipm to fuel pump) but I have lost all confidence in their ability to accurately diagnose the cause based on past repair history. I believe the vehicle to be a danger to me, my family and others on the road.

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Grand Cherokee

I was driving my Jeep from a stop sign and it all of a sudden slowed down and would not accelerate. The engine light comes on and forces me to pull over, restart it and it runs fine after that. Well, it's happened 3 times after this and I have arranged a 7am service for it on Monday. The book says check the gas cap or it may be bad gas, but I burned the gas down to 15 miles left and filled it with super unleaded. No matter what I do, like shift into N, rev the engine, nothing works until I pull over and restart it.

- Coolidge, AZ, USA

Oct 102013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Grand Cherokee limited edition 2012 the computer is in trouble and mid fire two cylinder miss firing that was happened date 12/04/12. Now there is a different trouble again happened 10/12/13 and then it takes two months for the spare parts to come out. The problem is it wont start. I don't what gonna be the next. The service will take for so long just imagine 2months time. Im expecting for another trouble wit this.

- Westmont, IL, USA

Jul 262013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I bought the vehicle from a dealer with 14,500 miles on it. Still under the 3 year, 36000 mile warranty. Started the engine only to have the check engine light illuminate. Drove byautozone and red the code, P0304, misfire on cylinder 4. brought the vehicle to the dealer where purchased and he sent it to the Jeep dealer for service. I was given a loner car from the dealer I purchased it from. I received the vehicle back on wed. July 31st from my purchasing dealer and was told the computer was flashed and re-programmed. Thursday morning, the day after the repair the check engine light illuminated again. Called the dealer I purchased the vehicle from and will be dropping off Friday morning. I know of the inherent issues with the 3.6 L pentstar engine cylinder heads and want both heads replaced.

- Biloxi, MS, USA