CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jun 082011

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My issue with the Jeep is that I believe it has an design and engineering flaw. This vehicle has an automatic transmission. When the shift lever is in drive the lever if bumped accidentally to the left it will down shift. This has happened to me on several occasions. I was traveling in excess of 65 mph's the first time it happened and didn't realize what had caused the downshift. This is very hard on the transmission and engine not to say a major safety issue. I'm left handed and drive such, many times I have caught the right sleeve of my shirt on the shift lever and have caused the transmission to downshift. I believe there should be a lever or button that should be depressed to allow the downshift to occur. Please address this issue. Thank you!

- Muskegon, MI, USA

May 142013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Check engine light (cel) is on with P0300 and P0302 codes, exhaust escaping #2 piston head- causing rough idling, cel flashes, and several stalls while in motion. Found out this is "common" on pentastar engines, and parts are not readily available from Chrysler to make repairs, and dealers let people drive the car instead of providing alternative transportation. They should have to repair and replace these heads that have now been redesigned in more current builds. Letting people drive cars that can stall in motion is dangerous. Not having parts readily available when they are having 300 to 400 of these failures a week is ridiculous. The attached link shows that Chrysler had this part shortage since last summer, and is not meeting the demand for replacements even now. www.autoweek.com/article/20120813/carnews/120819959.

- Newark, DE, USA

Apr 022013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the cylinder head was corroded and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 47,000.

- Bayville , NY, USA

Feb 072013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while traveling 45 mph, the check engine light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and was then taken to the dealer to be inspected. The dealer stated that the failure was caused by cylinder number 4 misfiring in the head of the engine. The dealer also stated that the part was currently on back order. The vehicle was awaiting repairs. The failure and current mileages were 23,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 052012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

A check engine light came on whilst stopped at a red light. We took it to autozone and they plugged into it and they displayed a misfire on 2. this is the 2nd time it happened. The first time Chrysler changed the head. Now its in the shop for the same issue. I am waiting for the dealer to get back with me on what Chrysler is going to do.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Aug 282012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the check engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who ran a diagnostic test and advised the contact that the head cylinder gasket malfunctioned. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 13,150.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Mar 102012

Grand Cherokee

I bought my band new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland 7 months ago - brand new from the Chrysler Jeep dealership and about a month after I bought it I started to notice the acceleration is not 100%, the windows stop rolling up or down for hours at a time at random time, the brakes sometimes don't work all the way, the engine jumps when switching gears and most recently my check engine light came on, the car would not accelerate and the rpms would not go past 1.5 even when flooring it & there were loud clicking noises with a loud fan. This time I was not able to drive to the dealership - I had to tow it in because it was not drivable. I have taken it to the dealer ship 3 times for them to check on these things & everytime I take it in they tell me they are "unable to recreate the problems" & cannot help me. I have called numerous times to complain & report issues and they either tell me they cannot help me, they put me on hold for an infinite amount of time, I go to voicemail, or no one is available. They called me today, after having it for 4 days, and told me the check engine light was for a "evap perg system" so they replaced a hose & updated my power control module as a precaution. When I asked them how this had anything to do with my engine problems he could not explain it. When I asked him why my engine has problems he could not explain it. No one there wants to help me - what I feel like they are doing is giving me excuse after excuse in the book, stalling me for as long as they can until my warranty runs out. I have dealt with 4 managers there - the 1st one stopped returning my phone calls, the 2nd one told me I am imagining things and I should stop complaining and be thankful that I have a new car, the 3rd one pond me off onto a 4th one & the 4th one told me to my face that I am a liar and I am making up stories so the situation looks worse then it actually is.

- Hawthorne, CA, USA

Jul 102012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I started the engine of my 2012 Jeep and as soon I began traveling with the Jeep fluids poured from the middle of the engine. I did not notice this until I stopped the vehicle after driving 10 minutes. The computer did not show any signs of an error or engine trouble. When I stopped the vehicle and looked under the front of the car I saw a steady stream of orange liquid pouring from the middle of the engine. This fluid was engine coolant. I immediately had the vehicle towed to a local Chrysler service station. My Jeep has been with the service department for over two weeks now. The Jeep cannot be fixed due the fact that Chrysler has no spare parts.

- Hampton Bays, NY, USA

Jun 132012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 50 mph, the contact glanced into the rear view mirror and noticed smoke outside of the vehicle. Immediately the vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The contact exited the vehicle when suddenly, massive flames erupted from under the hood. A fire report was filed of the incident. The fire inspector informed the contact that the fire originated from the engine area. The vehicle was completely destroyed and towed to an authorized dealer for further investigation. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35. Updated 7/19/12 updated 07/23/12

- Houston, TX, USA

May 202012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Backing our boat into driveway, car had been running about 20 minutes and engine under hood started smoking, fluid then dripped to driveway and caught fire, extended into full engine compartment engine entirely destroyed....updated 07/19/12 Chrysler agreed to replace the vehicle under warranty. Updated 07/19/12

- Aurora, CO, USA