Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 282015

Grand Cherokee

We notified shelor Jeep about the December 2014 recall P60 /NHTSA 14V-634 promptly, but they continue to say the parts are unavailable. We notified them about the April 2015 recall R09 /NHTSA 15V-115, and they said the parts are also not available. Both recall notices state the vehicle is dangerous --- vehicle shutdown or underhood electrical fire for the first recall and a crash for the second recall. Jeep is not providing repair parts in anywhere near a timely manner! this vehicle is dangerous and must be repaired!

- Blacksburg, VA, USA

Jun 172015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V115000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jul 022015

Grand Cherokee

As I was driving to work in the morning, my vehicle stalled completely and I had to put my hazards on in the middle of the left side lane. Luckily, there was no traffic behind me and I was able to remove the key, re-insert the key and the vehicle started up again. I wasn't going fast and there wasn't traffic to cause an accident but this has made me fear overtime I step foot into my vehicle. I'm a working mother and I need my vehicle to Transport my family. I bought the Jeep from vacaville Dodge about a year ago and they failed to mention anything wrong with the vehicle. One month after owning it, I started to receive recall notices. I did take it in as soon as I got 3 in a row. The dealership told me they could fix two issues but one would have to wait until they have the right parts. This took two months before I could get it fixed. Now, I have received an additional 3 recall notices and the dealership is telling me they will add me to a waitlist. The dealership has confirmed that they won't have all the necessary parts/time to fix the recalls for another couple months. My family's lives are in danger so I have chosen to use public transportation which is a huge inconvenience. I bought this vehicle because I've always trusted the Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep company. I'm making payments on a vehicle that I can't even use because of all these recalls.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Apr 152015

Grand Cherokee

I was notified by fca in April 2015 of the R09 / NHTSA 14V-115 recall. I received no notice regarding replacement or repair. On 8/5/2015 I contacted the dealership and was advised that parts had just arrived. The vehicle is scheduled for repair on 8/10/2015. I believe that this issue, in conjunction with other safety issues involving wiring and brakes, establishes a major safety concern with this vehicle. I believe fca should offer buy backs or significant trade incentives for this vehicle.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Apr 152015

Grand Cherokee

Received recall notice (R09/nhsta 15V-115) 4/15/15. To date, 8/3/15, have not been notified of availablility of replacement parts. Prior defects with this vehicle include: Replacement of right cylinder head just 8 months after purchase; followed by 3 safety recalls for alternator (nhsta 14-V-634) which took 6 months to get replaced due to lack of parts availability; brake booster (nhsta 14V-154) and sun visor wiring (nhsta 14V-391). I believe a refund/buy back is warranted due to the safety hazards this vehicle has presented and excessive delays in getting necessary repairs.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Apr 132015

Grand Cherokee

I have received the #R09 15V-115 fuel pump relay notice and contacted dealer, parts still unavailable. Exceeds a reasonable amount for time for repair. The dealer stated that parts needed were not available. The manufacturer had not yet determined a solution for the issue. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. Vehicle on multiple occasions fails to start.

- Auburn, WA, USA

May 282015

Grand Cherokee

Interim recall notice sent out about 2 months ago in re to fuel pump relay. Called dealer today & still no parts available & they have no further info. Called the recall assistance number on the interim notice & get a recording that says call back & then disconnects. This is crazy as notice says the problem could cause a crash"?"

- Colden, NY, USA

Jul 272015

Grand Cherokee

I received approximately 4 months ago an important safety recall for a problem with the fuel pump relay, the code was R09 / NHTSA 14V-115, but the recall notice indicated the repair part was not then available and a follow-up notice would be sent when it was. I have never received a follow-up notice saying the part is available, and every time I call the dealer they say they don't have the part and I should call back. The recall notice says the problem with the fuel pump relay "could cause the engine to stall while driving and cause a crash without warning." I don't know if it safe for me to drive this car or let my wife or kids drive it. I want it to be fixed immediately or to discuss other options. I cannot get through to the fca recall assistance center, the phone is always busy.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Apr 232015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 40 mph, the vehicle attempted to stall. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V115000 (electrical system) and stated that the fuel pump needed for the recall repair was not available. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 27,500.

- Reno, NV, USA

Mar 122014

Grand Cherokee

While driving the vehicle just quit. After some time it started again. This has happened 3 times but fortunately all a low speeds. Called the dealer service dept. And they said they have had no problem with these vehicles and if they were not able to recreate the problem there was nothing they could do. After checking possible recalls on line and finding one that appeared to be a possible cause I called the dealer again. They then admitted there was a possible problem and scheduled an appointment.. when I picked the vehicle up they said they couldn't fix it because there was no fix available yet. I asked them if they expected me to drive a vehicle that was unsafe to drive and they repeated there was no fix for the vehicle so please take my vehicle and leave. I have not been able to drive the vehicle for fear it would quit at a higher speed and cause a serious accident. This vehicle is our main transportation but still cannot be fixed. Please let me know how to resolve this problem so I can again have transportation. Thank you.

- Billings, MT, USA

Apr 012015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I received a recall notice back in April about the fuel pump relay in my car needing replaced, as it can possibly cause a crash. I haven't heard from anyone since, and we are now about to go into July. This is unacceptable and makes me really nervous to drive the car. Please advise...updated 08/06/15 updated 9/29/2015

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 192015

Grand Cherokee

On May 19, 2015 contacted dealer about (tipm) safety recall R09/nthsa14V-115. Service manager stated to me that they could not fix (tipm) present time because they did not have part. Service department stated to me they did not know when part would be available. Gave service department my cell phone number and asked to be contacted (asap) about recall part (tipm). I think Chrysler should be made by our government to buy back my 2012 Jeep. This is the (4th) safety recall I have had on this Jeep. Dealer has not fixed recalls in a timely manner. I will never purchase a Chrysler product again, I am sick and tired of unsafe junk coming out of Fiat/Chrysler. All consumers should be made aware of unsafe junk being put in Chrysler vehicles. We in America deserve better respect from all automakers. I think my next vehicle will come out of russia!!!!! maybe they will understand how to produce a safe vehicle.

- Waynesboro, MS, USA

Jun 052015

Grand Cherokee

Abruptly stalling while traveling on interstate highway. Complete loss of all power, requiring to get off the road, place in park and re-start. Re starts without hesitation. Incident has occurred 5 different dates/times and the dealer has no fix stating they are unable to replicate the issue. Most recent date 06/05/2015

- Brighton, MI, USA

Apr 302015

Grand Cherokee

While turning at an intersection the vehicle stopped running. The engine died, power steering, power braking stopped worked. I nearly crash into the light pole at the intersection. The vehicle was able to be started once I took the vehicle to the nearest Firestone car care center to find the problem. The tests found no issues. When I reached my home that afternoon the safety recall was in my mail box. I took the Jeep to my local Jeep dealer to find that Jeep does not have the parts in place to fix the issue. Now I have a useless and unsafe vehicle. Please advise as to what the NHTSA can to to prompt the company to fix this issue. I was luck to not hit anyone or anything but, I could have been in a serious accident if I had been on the higway.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

May 122015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Upon depressing the push to start button, the contact heard an abnormal noise and the vehicle would not start after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel pump relay needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic), 14V391000 (electrical system) and 15V115000 (electrical system). The contact did not know when the parts would become available to schedule the repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,410.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 272015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle was brought in to dealer on 3/24/15 for stalling issues and other safety recalls. Car had not started on at least 4 occasions up until 3/24/25. I was told the key fob batteries needed to be replaced and that may fix the issue. I paid to have both batteries replaced. On 5/4/15 I brought the vehicle back to the dealer because the not starting issue had become more extreme. It occurred 8 times since the 3/24/15 service and on one occasion it would not accelerate while I was driving on a highway. There was an extreme delay and suddenly the car reacted and lurched forward. This was the first time it had ever done this. Additionally, on one occasion of not starting it continued to chug instead of just not reacting. Dealer advised again that one of the key fobs needed to have a battery replaced (both were replaced the previous month) and that they didn't have parts for the safety recall. Headquarters advised they would let me know in a few weeks or months when the parts would be available. The problems is rapidly getting worse and there are indications that there may be issues while I am driving it as well. I have asked for escalation and something even a temporary fix be done. No response from headquarters yet.

- Woodbine, MD, USA

Mar 232015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee check engine light was on and stalled then pulled over to side of street then restarted engine.took to Dodge dealership -had major engine failure no-to low compression on lft cylinder head. Is the fuel tank on this vehicle defective will it leak and explode/catch fire if rear ended? this vehicle was owned by dealership with open/active recall safety defects. Should I be concerned with driving this vehicle. Dealership did not disclose this when they sold the vehicle. How is this legal and allowed to get away with this dangerous vehicle. I don't want to put my family in it. Maybe the dealership owner will put his family in it since he's selling defective cars. I just get another safety recall notice. This vehicle is an accident/fatality waiting to happen. The manufacturer/dealership should refund the purchase price or be criminally charged. I paid thousands of $'s, this vehicle is a total loss who going to buy it.

- Corona, CA, USA

Mar 232015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Car slightly stalled as I tried to accelerate from a stop at a street light. After a few seconds it jolted forward and then continued to drive as normal. Now experiencing problems starting the car on a regular basis, sometimes needing 2 to 3 attempts to properly start the engine.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Mar 282015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

3/28/2015 (20,924 miles): This is the second time my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee has stalled when I put it in reverse after starting. I started the Jeep and put it in reverse and I began to back out of a parking space and it stalled. However, when I looked at the display showed that the Jeep was in park, however the shift lever was still in reverse, and the radio was still on like the car electronics were on. I moved the shift lever back into park. I pushed the start/stop button but I could not get the vehicle instruments or radio to shut off. I tried several attempts to start the vehicle, however it just clicked once and the starter did not engage. While my foot was on the brake, I put the gear shift in reverse and then back into park. I again tried to push the start/stop button and this time it just kept cranking but failed to start. The vehicle started to roll while the dash displayed P and I was in a level parking lot. When I stepped on the brakes they were hard to press. I used my phone to call moss bros service and they transferred me to the moss motors riverside, ca service center. I explained my situation but all service advisors were busy. I waited on the line for over 11 minutes and someone came back on the line and told me that someone would call me back. See call log from phone records below. I explained to the operator that if I could not get the vehicle to turn off that the battery would eventually go dead. After waiting on hold all this time I attempted to push the start/stop button one more time and this time all controls seem to shut off. I pushed the start/stop button again and the vehicle did start this time. (datetimephone #destinationminutes used / 03/28/157:33 AM855-777-2770toll free call,11.0

- Riverside, CA, USA

Mar 162015

Grand Cherokee

Having the Jeep services for a broken chair rail ($1200!) and they told me the power steering reservoir was empty and the power steering pump, reservoir, rack and pinion and hoses will need to be replaced for another $2350! I've read that this vehicle has a history of this and has created a fire hazard. This car is not 3 years old and has had fuel pump, water pump, rear latch lock and multiple recalls on other items. Dealership is raking in the cash; it very upsetting for someone who really wants to buy american made vehicles!

- Grapevine, TX, USA