CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

3.5

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 162015

Grand Cherokee

Having the Jeep services for a broken chair rail ($1200!) and they told me the power steering reservoir was empty and the power steering pump, reservoir, rack and pinion and hoses will need to be replaced for another $2350! I've read that this vehicle has a history of this and has created a fire hazard. This car is not 3 years old and has had fuel pump, water pump, rear latch lock and multiple recalls on other items. Dealership is raking in the cash; it very upsetting for someone who really wants to buy american made vehicles!

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Mar 072015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee suddenly began having problems starting. Since Mar 7th there have been 3 incidents in which pressing the start button caused the engine to turn over but not start. All 3 incidents were situations in which I was trying to restart the car within 30 minutes of previously turning the car off. 2 of the 3 incidents occurred within 15 minutes of turning the car off. For example, I forgot to bring an item with me from my house, turned the car off and went in the house to retrieve the forgotten item. Then, when trying to restart the car the engine would turn over but no ignition from the cylinders. Subsequent repeated efforts to start the car were futile, but if I waited 30 minutes or more the car would start up. This problem creates difficulty for anyone doing a short errand such as buying something from a convenience store or dropping the kids off for school. I read that Chrysler will be issuing a recall on the fuel pump relay, I hope this helps. I am filing this complaint to make sure my name gets included among those that need repairs. Thanks.

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Feb 062015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Jeep attempts to start when start is pushed. Engine turns but will not start. Occasionally it starts and then quickly shuts down. Other times it starts and runs perfectly.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jan 222015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled while stopped at stop light. When started, idled very rough and stalled again. Car was towed to dealer. Dealer indicated failure in fuel pump relay. Repair involves disabling of fuel pump relay in totally integrated power module (tipm) and installing external fuel pump relay. Failure also resulted in failure of valve spring. The repair regarding the fuel pump is identical to the repair outlined in Chrysler safety recall P54/NHTSA 14V-530, which per Chrysler customer service rep is only applicable to 2011 vehicles and not 2012 vehicles. This fuel pump failure affects more vehicles than outlined by original recall.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Nov 172014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the fuel pump relay needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 56,175.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 062014

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle will not start. Engine cranks, but des not start. Towed to dealer. Could not duplicate. Recently condition worsened and vehicle would not start at all. Vehicle repaired after sitting at dealer for 2.5 weeks. Diagnosis, fuel pump relay and wiring harness.

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

Oct 282014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Engine stalled while driving on interstate causing a near-accident. Vehicle was successfully restarted shortly thereafter, but after returning home and turning off vehicle, fuel pump continued to run. The following morning the vehicle would not start and had to be towed to Chrysler/Jeep dealership. Dealer repair involved replacing a defective "totally integrated power module" at a cost to me, the owner, of $1,200. This incident very closely mirrors media reports in late September, 2014, detailing similar incidents with the same vehicle. In at least one report (cbs-detroit; Sept. 20, 2014; "Chrysler recalls nearly 189,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge durangos") Chrysler claims their pending recall will cover SUV's built from Jan. 25, 2010 through July 20, 2011. My vehicle, exhibiting the exact same malfunctions, was manufactured in November, 2011. Clearly the recall should be expanded to capture more vehicles with faulty power modules.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Sep 022014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Went to start car and it just sputtered and stop, had to try 3 to 4 times then would start. This happened every time we had to have a new fuel pump, relay assy with inline fuse assy. Inter loss of fuel pressure. This is a recall on the 2011 and we feel it is a recall for the 2012. Also at that low mileage why would this scare us. We were out of town and in fear of not getting home. We were only 22 miles over the 36,000, because we were out of town and had to get back to our car dealer so we had to go over the mileage to get to them, so we had to pay for this service. Just not fair to us!

- Hernando, FL, USA

Oct 132014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee encountered the same problem as stated in the Chrysler recall P54, which is the recall for 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The engine would stall while driving, and it also encountered not start problem as well as the not start on the first attempt problem. Even the car could start, the engine would stall again shortly. The problem is resulted from the faulty tipm, which is the same on both 2011 and 2012 model. However, only the 2011 Grand Cherokee is being recalled. So I urge Chrysler to initiate a recall on the 2012 model as well.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Sep 162014

Grand Cherokee

Car would not start on first attempt. This occurred everyday for 3 days at which point I brought it to the dealership for service. The problem was an issue with the fuel pump related to a faulty tipm. The part was replaced by the dealership at no charge.

- Middlesex, NJ, USA

Aug 162013

Grand Cherokee

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was bought brand new in December 2011. In 2013 I experienced my first incident where my Jeep started, ran for 1-2 seconds, then died. I tried multiple times to restart it and could not get it to restart. I finally decided to completely turn off the vehicle and start the ignition process over. Thankfully that seemed to work. Between the first incident and the next service visit (January 2014), this happened approximately 6-10 times. I made the dealer aware of the issue and they noted it on the service sheet; however they told me they saw no error codes and could not recreate the problem. The in February I had an incident where it started then stalled, then the security alarm sounded. I had to remove the push start and use the key in the ignition in order to disengage the security system. Then approximately one week later I started the Jeep to go to work and it died after running for 1-2 seconds. I restarted the ignition process, this time when I let go of the push button start the starter continued to crank for approximately 10 seconds, until I exited the vehicle and locked the car. Now in the last two days the vehicle has started, ran for 1-2 seconds, then died on three separate occasions. I have made an appointment with the dealer and shared the above information with them. I have advised them that I think I have a bad tipm. I am hoping to get this addressed immediately since I have 33,500 miles on the vehicle and do not want this to be replaced after the warranty expires. I am seeing the average cost to replace the tipm at a dealer is $1200-$1400. There are enough similar stories about these sort of issues that Jeep/Chrysler should issue a recall and stand behind their product.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Jul 102012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I started the engine of my 2012 Jeep and as soon I began traveling with the Jeep fluids poured from the middle of the engine. I did not notice this until I stopped the vehicle after driving 10 minutes. The computer did not show any signs of an error or engine trouble. When I stopped the vehicle and looked under the front of the car I saw a steady stream of orange liquid pouring from the middle of the engine. This fluid was engine coolant. I immediately had the vehicle towed to a local Chrysler service station. My Jeep has been with the service department for over two weeks now. The Jeep cannot be fixed due the fact that Chrysler has no spare parts.

- Hampton Bays, NY, USA