2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Sep 032016

Grand Cherokee

I was backing out of my driveway and I hit the brake and then slightly hit the gas pedal and my truck accelerated and went out of control smashing into two of my neighbor's vehicles! if it wasn't for my neighbor's truck stopping me, I would have kept going into a large tree in front yard or house! extremely scary!!!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 152015

Grand Cherokee

I took my Jeep into a local dealership April/16/2015 for recall 05P14182 or recall P14 ie..a brake booster shield. On May 15 after approx. 3000 miles my ABS, fcw and traction light came on. I could not use my cruise returning to abq. And my brakes were sticking. I took it back to the dealer on 22may and they found that the master was leaking fluid into the brake booster and made mention of the P14 recall. They reperformed the recall and replaced the master and booster and after testing they found the same problem with the brakes. They ordered another master cyl. And after installing said the problem was fixed. On returning to abq on 15july/15 and less than 3000 miles later I encountered the same malfunction. Back to the dealer on July 17 with the same diagnosis and repairs. Less than 1000 miles on Dec. 23/2015 the same malfunction and return to the dealer on 31dec. At this point the service advisor and the mechanic said they could redo the fix but it was going to happen again and it was a health hazard because of the possibility of catastrophic brake failure. I contacted Chrysler about this problem and they said since it was repaired they could not do a vehicle replacement and to contact them when it happens again. I told them what the mechanic and advisor said about break failure and it was "we can not help you." I then wrote to their ncds and was told that since the vehicle was no longer in warranty I had no case. When this started the vehicle had 41759 miles and the last repair it had 48288. The Jeep 2013 has a 50,000 five year warranty. I have all the repair invoices and the emails from Chrysler in my files. Please help

- Corrales, NM, USA

Jul 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration and still moved even when the brake pedal was depressed. In addition, the vehicle locked independently and could not be unlocked manually. The contact also stated that the vehicle could not be manually turned off. The failure recurred over twenty-one times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the temperature gauge needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Apr 242015

Grand Cherokee

The first incident happened at the end of April. While driving, after crossing a busy street, I suddenly lost power and engine response. After having it towed to the nearest repair shop, I had to have the fuel pump and sender replaced. This is when I was made aware there is a fuel kit relay recall. Now, barely 4 weeks later, this exact same thing has happened again. With apparently no remedy to the recall yet, I am now left paying for the same exact repairs I just had done less than 150 miles ago. This time it happened after crossing into another state, about 45 minutes from home. The time, cost and hassle of all this has been completely unacceptable. Luckily, I was able to get out of the way of major traffic...luckily!

- Patton, MO, USA

Mar 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While at a stop light, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle hesitated before accelerating. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V115000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Apr 032015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the vehicle's speed decreased to approximately 25 mph. All the warning lights illuminated then the vehicle resumed to normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Mar 112015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Driving to work in stop and go traffic. Vehicle started to sound extremely loud and acceleration was sluggish. Traffic opened up and from 20 mph increasing to 51 mph noticed (and heard) the RPM was at 6. continued to drive and the RPM neared 7 (the red zone) as I continued to accelerate. Put on the hazards, pulled to the shoulder and turned the vehicle off. Sat for about 2 minutes and restarted. Everything returned to normal and made it to work without further incident. It seems that the vehicle was stuck in first or second gear.

- Severn, MD, USA

Dec 122014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I merged off of the interstate, when trying to hurriedly slow down at stop sign I was not able to stop promptly, I then proceeded to slide into intersection, and was struck on driver's side by F-250. I had just received a recall the prior Thursday on my alternator diodes, and it says possible effects on brake lock system. Current parts were not available for it to be resolved yet.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Apr 152014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee was at banking drive through when it accelerated suddenly. Breaks would not stop the car as it accelerated and traveled approximately 500 feet across three lanes of traffic. Finally came to a stop when it was pushed into neutral. Dealer towed and service department ran test for codes. None were found. Service test drove the car for several miles and determined that vehicle was performing as designed. Chrysler sent an independent investigator and they determined no codes and vehicle performing as designed. Just be aware that something happened. Car accelerated and brakes would not work.

- Vale, NC, USA

Aug 062013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While parking in a parking lot with my foot on the brake pedal, the engine RPM's surged and I had to apply extremely hard force on the brake pedal and shift into neutral to stop after traveling 10 to 15 feet. This happened again and I took the Jeep to yark service in toledo oh. They ran a diagnosis and could not find any codes. My wife took the Jeep and while parking had the same problem. Before she could stop the vehicle ran into a post and sustained damage. I called Jeep customer service and reported it as a safety problem on Aug 31. I was told to take it back to the service dept. They said nothing could be done at that time. I took it back the next week and the service manager was not available.

- Toledo, OH, USA