5.5

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

May 162014

Grand Cherokee

My vehicle has 4 open recalls as listed below. I have presented it many months ago to two different Jeep dealers, dick myers, harrisonburg, va and billy bender, cumberland, md (where I purchased it). At both dealerships, they claimed a national backlog for recall parts and that they would order them and call me. I have never heard from anyone. I suspicion that this is a financial decision by Jeep, not the dealerships. I think they are delaying, hoping to not have to make these replacements. I want to declare the Jeep a lemon due to this and force them to buy it back since they can't seem to fix it. I want the government to put some teeth in these recalls. What good are they if they are not going to be repaired? number of open recalls: 4 NHTSA recall number: 14V-154 recall date: May 16, 2014 manufacturer recall number: P14 NHTSA recall number: 14V-391 recall date: August 19, 2014 manufacturer recall number: P36 NHTSA recall number: 14V-634 recall date: December 1, 2014 manufacturer recall number: P60 NHTSA recall number: 15V-115 recall date: April 10, 2015 manufacturer recall number: R09

- Franklin, WV, USA

Jan 042016

Grand Cherokee

When the vehicle is approached with 2 electronic key fobs for the same vehicle, or when two key fobs are present in the vehicle, or in close proximity, the rear liftgate can spontaneously open. After opening, the rear liftgate may or may not respond to close key presses on the keyfob(s). This could occur at any time, including while vehicle is moving, potentially allowing interior wind buffeting and allowing cargo to fall from rear of vehicle. This has happened multiple times, while vehicle was stationary and while in motion. On at least one occasion, while in motion, driver had to stop and exit the vehicle and manually close the liftgate.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 102015

Grand Cherokee

Reference important safety recall R09/NHTSA 14V-115, it is referenced as NHTSA recall number 15V-115 in safercar.gov. I received the safety recall notification 04/10/2015. As of today, 09/04/2015, I have not received a 2nd notification nor when talking with the dealership is there any timetable or directives to remedy the safety recall. It is described that the internal fuel pump relay may be faulty but there is no replacement at the time of notice. When is the remedy part expected to be available and when can I expect a follow-up notification of any kind?

- Brighton, CO, USA

May 192015

Grand Cherokee

Oct 7, 2014: NHTSA 14V-391 or fca P36 safety recall repair was done at a local Chrysler Jeep dealership. Apr 30, 2015: Vehicle taken to same dealership to check a buzzing sound in the rh sun visor area, service technician could not duplicate the customer complaint. May 19, 2015: Sudden acrid smoke odor detected while driving, pulled to curb and turned off motor. Some smoke inhalation but no burn injuries to driver. Noticed black and white melted areas on rh sun visor, rh vanity mirror and rh headliner. External roof area above the rh sun visor had approximate 3" crack and the paint was split open from the extreme heat, digital photos taken. On Jun 30, 2015, we learned the "the source of the fire was not related to the P36 repair, but was for another cause". on Jul 10, 2015, we learned the P36 repair plastic shroud was intact and the cause of the fire was found in the wiring harness above the sun visor in the headliner area. Chrysler Jeep denied our warranty repair request on Jul 24, 2015, because the source of the fire could not be traced back to a factory defect in materials or workmanship. On Jul 27, 2015, our local Chrysler Jeep dealer decided to repair our vehicle, at their cost, because we were valued customers, but the decision came the same day a letter was read by the dealership general manager that said we may pursue a remedy using the California lemon law. We found there were more than 91 other similar incidents in 2011-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge durango vehicles, and at least 8 more experienced fires after the P36 safety recall repair had been completed. We encourage NHTSA to have fca install circuit breakers in vanity lamp wiring harnesses for 2011-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge durango vehicles. Our vehicle repair was completed after 13 weeks, on Aug 18, 2015

- Bonita, CA, USA

Jun 152014

Grand Cherokee

Not sure of the dates. Rear view mirror electrical recall repaired. Seat on drivers side gets very hot/must turn it off. Cruise control worked randomly for awhile, now doesn't work at all. Still waiting for recall letter to let me know what to do about latest recall on vehicle stopping suddenly without warning causing a crash! it's my only vehicle and am afraid to drive it!

- Stanley, VA, USA

Apr 152014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

In April my car started randomly not starting. It's happened 4 times and been in the shop once for this issue. It is going again Monday 6/16 for the same issue. It will randomly not start, it randomly tries to stall on me. It will randomly not respond to pushing the power button. It will randomly make a high pitched squealing noise. It is very scary when it tries to stall because I can be riding down the interstate at 65 mph when it happens or sitting still at a red light. I drive over 120 miles per day and I cannot be stranded or stall out in the middle of the road. It's going to the shop again Monday to address the issue for the second time. Makes the 5th time the car has been in the shop for various issues since I've had it less than 15 months.

- Snellville, GA, USA