2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Oct 302016

Grand Cherokee

Power steering making noise loud, had it checked out and dealership tells me all 2013 does this. Well a week later after they looked at I lost power steering with a baby in car.

- Richland, PA, USA

Feb 232016

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep has stalled twice while I was making a left turn. Both times it stalled without warning and I lost all power steering + power brakes. Both times I had about 1/4 tank of gas. The first time I was able to restart my car right away. The 2nd time it took me a few tries to get it restarted. The dealership claims they can't find anything wrong with it. I've opened a case with Jeep.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 152015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact pulled over and discovered that the power steering belt was fractured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the power steering belt was replaced. On another occasion, while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. After being serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V115000 (electrical system), the vehicle failed to start intermittently and the check engine warning light illuminated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Nov 012013

Grand Cherokee

The engine and all systems stop; turn off without notice. Actually not a stall, but all power ceases to work abruptly. The car then must be stopped fully to allow a restart. Without power steering or brakes the car is immediately subject to a rear end collision. It has always occurred at speeds around 15 to 20 mph, and normally when slowing. Jeep dealers have been unable to fix the problem and, of course I cannot duplicate for them as it occurs without notice periodically. Jeep recently, finally issued a recall for a fix but the problem continues even after their "fix". the car does have an aftermarket supplemental braking system to allow towing by an rv. That has been disconnected as a possible cause, but the stalls have continued. I can't drive the car nor will I allow my family to do so.

- Darby, MT, USA

Jan 052014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving home from a ski weekend in upstate NY in January and traveling on the interstate at approximately 65mph, the temperature outside was below freezing and I went to apply the brakes to slow down for upcoming traffic and the pedal was hard and the brakes did not engage, I pumped the pedal and remained calm and hoped that the power would come back to the pedal and luckily it did after a 3 pumps to the pedal and took about 5 seconds. We avoided a near fatal collision if it wasn't for my quick thinking and remaining calm. I brought the car into westbury Jeep who told me nothing was wrong with the brakes and returned the car to me, I then continued to have the problem reoccur on cold days when the temperature was below freezing. The dealership did nothing and now a recall was issued for the exact issue I described and the dealership still refuses to repair it because they don't have the part. I want the repair done asap!

- Long Beach, NY, USA

Jan 072014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number 13V234000 (power train, steering) had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The contact received the recall notification in June of 2013. The contact stated that the dealer advised that the parts were not available and could take several months before becoming available. The contact had not experienced a failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available. The current mileage was 4,000.

- Jackson , OH, USA

Nov 072013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While my wife was backing out of the driveway she attempted to turn the steering wheel to the right when she noticed the steering wheel was to hard for her to turn. A red light showing a picture of a steering wheel was displayed in the instrumental screen and the car seemed to be running fine. After the vehicle was pulled back I to the driveway it was shut off. The car was then restarted with no further steering issues. Jeep dealership was contacted and they advised they never heard of this happening and advised they would make a note of it and if happens again to bring it to the dealership.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Sep 252013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While making a 3-point turn the power steering failed with the steering wheel turned all the way to the left. An unfamiliar warning light appeared on the dash (which was not identified in the manual or on-line) consisting of a red steering wheel over 2 red lines. Everything else seemed to be working. I grappled with the wheel to finish the turn, then turned the engine off. After re-starting, the power steering was working again. I had it towed to the dealer because I was afraid it would happen again. They reportedly found a corroded lead to the "power steering module" (even though the car is only 7 months old) because "the screw connecting the lead had not been greased properly prior to installation."

- Brookline, MA, USA

May 242013

Grand Cherokee

Lost all power while driving on highway on Friday of memorial day weekend. Lost brakes and steering too. Luckily was able to coast to a stop on the shoulder. Tried to restart multiple times, and starter just whirred over and over and over. I couldn't even do anything to stop it from attempting to start. It would ultimately give up. Roadside assistance sent a tow. The next day at the dealership it started, but it's still there for the long holiday weekend. Luckily I wasn't towing my travel trailer. I'm afraid to drive it as I've read of many instances similar to this recurring many times.

- Soldotna, AK, USA

May 032013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited. The contact stated that while making a right turn the steering failed and the brakes failed to stop the vehicle. This caused the contact to have a head on collision with a tree. The contact received chest injuries from the air bag deploying and an injury to the shoulder. The vehicle was towed from the scene of the accident and was scheduled to be inspected. The failure and current mileages were 2,600.

- Mechanicsberg, PA, USA

Jun 112012

Grand Cherokee

Received email from son about power steering hose leaking which could cause a fire after we purchased 2013 Jeep grand (purchased on May 31). Went to check for leakage... found leakage. Went to dealer, they couldn't determine leakage eventhough informed them where to look. I went back to the shop area and instructed them where to look; finally the technician did find the leak... due to a power steering pump crack. So in your investigation for power steering hose causing fires, investigate for the pump also. We are still checking daily for leakage, eventhough the pump was replaced. Power steering fluid has been added, and fluid is still disappearing !!

- Arrington, VA, USA