Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 (and 2015) Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Grand Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 8 of 12)

Mar 182015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

After making a right hand turn at a four way stop, I began traveling through a residential area at about 25 mph. After maybe 100 yards, the car came to a stop and the engine was revving, as if the vehicle were in neutral. The shift knob indicated the vehicle was in drive, but it was no moving forward. Obviously this caught me completely off guard, as someone at the four way had waved me to go before them, the I unexpectedly stopped in the middle of the road and would not move. I began applying the gas more gently, good thing or I would have jumped forward, and eventually the vehicle began to drive again. The low number of miles on the car is because I am scared to drive the car until the two brake recalls are completed, and now this. I see this has been a big concern in other years for the Jeep and have found many similar complaints online for this model. When will this issue be addressed? big safety hazard!

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Nov 232013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 15 mph, the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,100.

- Date City, FL, USA

Mar 092015

Grand Cherokee 4-cyl

The Jeep Grand Cherokee overland (may be other models) has a feature identified as eco. It is actually a dash button that must be manually overridden each time the car is started. The function is (I suppose) a fuel saving mode, however myself and many others in the Jeep blogs have a serious issue in that the car reacts in a sluggish mode when pulling into traffic and shifts in a manner not normally associated with smooth driving as the shift points are changed from what one would consider normal. It appears to inject more air, less fuel into the firing process producing the sluggish driving experience. I and others have sought relief from this ( opt out function) from dealers, to no avail. Many drivers, as have I, have express fear of a potential collision when this feature is engaged. There appears to be a disconnect between the epa, seeking improved economy and the highway safety board seeking to reduce accidents. At the very least this feature should be modified to be an "opt in" feature to be possibly utilized in highway conditions not in stop and go and merging traffic.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 062015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle decelerated and jerked forward. The vehicle accelerated independently and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to dealer. The technician informed that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 17,442.

- Bend, OR, USA

Jan 202015

Grand Cherokee

There is a loud bumping noise coming from the under carriage at start-up

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Apr 032014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

At 1:00am in the morning of April 3rd, our Jeep Grand Cherokee slipped out of park and rolled backwards thru our garage. Brought the Jeep to the dealer the next day. After 5 days they talk to Chrysler and informed us they had found no problems. On December 25th at around 9:00am the Jeep was again on a hill. With the Jeep running and in park, it came out of park again. This time it rolled about 50ft down into a tree, causing over $ 3,000 in damages. (no air bags went off) on December 26th the Jeep was towed down to the dealership, to this day it still sits. (January 28th) Chrysler ordered an inspection of the Jeep, and on January 16th sent us a letter stating "we are not led to believe that the incident was do to a manufacturing responsibility". at this time we feel the vehicle has a major safety hazard with the transmission.....updated 04/25/16

- Lisbon, NH, USA

Mar 192014

Grand Cherokee

When stopping the transmission bangs thrusting the truck forward. I have had this into dadeland Dodge several times and they have been unable to resolve the issue. The truck is at the dealership again now.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Jun 022014

Grand Cherokee

The gear select lever is dangerous. From the D position, putting the car into park most often it stops in R. thinking you have selected park and begin to exit the car is actually on reverse. I owned a 2011 same model no problem, upgrading to this car is dangerous! there is no feel as to engaging park, since they changed the design to this electronic shifter. My wife and I have to verbally confirm the car is in park each time looking at the shifter to display P. please investigate this danger before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Estes Park, CO, USA

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph and making a right turn, the gear shifter changed gears from drive into neutral independently. The failure recurred multiple times and at different speeds. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000.

- Harrison, MI, USA

Dec 062014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When shifting into drive or reverse or park it is difficult to know you are in the right gear. On multiple occasions I shift from drive into park and the car did not go into park. When I stepped out the car was rolling down hill and almost ran over my foot. This electronic gear shifter is terrible it is difficult to go into and out of gears safely. This is just a poor design and unsafe.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Dec 052014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On 3 separate occasions in the last two weeks my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has rolled unexpectedly once the transmission has been put into park and the engine turned off. The first time it happened, I drove into a sloped driveway. I put the car into park, turned off the car, and sat in the driver's seat to compose an E-mail. My foot continued to be on the brake. A minute or so later, when I completed my task, I opened the door and began to get out, having not put on the emergency brake. As it was a gentle slope, I did not notice the car beginning to roll immediately, but once outside the car I realized it was rolling backwards. I turned and got back into the car and applied the emergency brake, almost falling in the process. At the time I thought that I might have put the car into neutral rather than park, as the gear shift is electronic, and is slightly different in feel from older transmissions. Believing that it was my error, I did nothing about this. Then, over this past weekend it happened again, and I wrote to Jeep via their owner portal, to ensure that it was reported. On December 3rd, I scheduled a service for Friday December 5th. Yesterday, December 4th, I took the car to a car wash. The attendant was doing detail work, and after taking it through the wash, he parked it. I walked toward the car, and he got out of the car once he had put it into park and turned it off. He exited just as I got to the front driver's side corner. The car began to roll again, and was on a slope. Had the attendant not jumped back into the car and applied the brake, both of us would have been pinned in place, me between the door and a large cement planter, and he between the door and the interior. I quickly videotaped the attendant briefly recounting the story, and obtained his contact information, as well. The Jeep is now at the dealership.

- Valley Cottage, NY, USA

Grand Cherokee

On November 17th, after about 30 seconds driving forward, the car shifted from 2nd gear back to first gear. The car practically skidded to shift back to first. I was thrown forward in the car. Luckily, I wear my seatbelt. It would not shift out of first after that. The engine light came on. I had it towed to the dealership where I bought it. They said something is wrong with the transmission. They said they could not fix the transmission, but would replace the entire transmission. They said with a car this new, they do not have the knowledge to fixing the transmissions. They replaced the transmission and drove it 200 miles. They said it is fixed. I picked it up on a Monday, November 24 and drove it home. The next day, I had the problem again. When turning on 4 lane road (2 in one direction and two in another), the vehicle started to go across the intersection. It appeared to try to shift to 2nd, but the car stopped moving (like it was in neutral). I had to start blowing the horn as oncoming cars were coming at a high rate of speed. I could have been killed. I immediately called the dealership. They picked the car up and drove it back to the dealership. They ran numerous tests on the car and could not duplicate the problem. They called and told me the car was ready. I have severe reservation about getting back in a vehicle that I could have been killed in and drive it away when I know, the dealership knows and Chrysler knows, they couldn"T duplicate the problem and they didn"T fix anything. So, basically, I will be driving a ticking time bomb that could blow up at any time. My wife, kids and grandkids could be in jeopardy and other drivers on the road. I paid over 50K for this vehicle, only to find myself stressed out over this fact. I cannot get back into this vehicle knowing nothing was fixed and I was almost killed.

- Jarrettsville, MD, USA

Oct 012014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I have been to the dealership three times to have my transmission evaluated due to the vehicle lurching forward as I slow down to a stop as well as rough shifting while while accelerating/decelerating. The dealership says a part needs to be replaced but was unable to give me an estimate of when the part will be in and will not return my calls for updates.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Grand Cherokee

While driving the vehicle stopped working and would not accelerate. I took it to the dealership and they said that there was a problem with the filter that was attached to the transmission and they reset the transmission. Two days later it stop working while in the middle of an intersection and when it was down shifting it became jerky and would lunge forward. It also started making a noise when put into reverse and the dash said that the vehicle needed to be put into gear while I was driving. It is back at the garage again to be fixed. This is a serious safety issue! when I was at the service center the manager showed me a recall from Chrysler that was dated 11/2013 and was about this issue. He also told me that Chrysler stopped using this transmission at the end of 11/2013 because of these problems. There is no way to fix these problems, but Chrysler does not want recall any of these vehicles. What is a consumer suppose to do?

- Hermitage, PA, USA

Sep 292014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

After coming to a complete stop the vehicle lunges forward. This is an intermittent issue, but appears to happen more frequently after the vehicle has been sitting for a period of time. Additionally the vehicle transmission is always trying to find a different gear (I describe this as fishing for a gear) up shifting when you want to slow down or just the opposite down shifting when you want to speed up.

- Prospect, KY, USA

Oct 112014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 (na) Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 40 mph and attempting to engage the brakes, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Parma, OH, USA

Nov 052013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated while driving at unknown speed, the vehicle decelerated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure recurred multiple times. The dealer was unable to locate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Jul 242014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

As you accelerate the diesel Grand Cherokee and it reaches 7th gear, the car starts shuddering as if the vehicle is about to "fall apart". this issue happens every time when in 7th and 8th gear. I've had to use the paddle shifters to maintain the vehicle in 6th gear to avoid such shaking in the highway. I've taken the vehicle to an empty road and accelerated to reproduce the issue and kept my foot in the petal and it eventually settles down after 8th gear. But if you remove foot from gas and let the car shift back to 6th when you re-accelerate the shuddering returns again. The entire car just shakes. Jeep has been unable to find a solution to this and the vehicle is not even a year old yet.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Nov 022014

Grand Cherokee

While driving at 45 mph in traffic the Jeep stopped shifting and remained stuck in 6th gear. The vehicle completely stopped downshifting rendering acceleration impossible. The dealer said the transmission valve failed and had to be replaced.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Oct 242014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel shudders/vibrates intermittently at highway speeds. Evidently, this is a common problem in this particular model, and so much so that it now has a name, "fish bites". at least one technical service bulletin and possibly even more (many have similar symptoms) have acknowledged the drivetrain as the source and have attempted to resolve it with software flashes. After numerous visits to the dealer to correct the issue, the "fish bites" are still happening, and are getting increasingly worse. Unfortunately, after the last visit and being told it had been resolved, I had to find out that the attempted fix did not work while on a tight two-lane road. The occurrence nearly caused the vehicle to lose control at high speed. Prospective buyers of this model should recognize that it may be unsafe, as this unresolved issue was clearly a hazard to myself and to the vehicles in close proximity.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA