CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 (and 2015) Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Grand Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

May 302014

Grand Cherokee

On a recent long trip (500 miles each way) a computer malfunction popped up while driving. The vehicle's phone called for service, followed by the airbag light and seat belt indicator went off. I pulled into a Jeep dealer right before closing and the told me the issue was in the airbag control module somewhere but it couldn't be fixed easily and that the parts were on back-order. The car is drive-able but the airbag system is inoperative. I have since spoken to the dealer in my home-state and confirmed this is a common problem popping up on the 2014 model year Grand Cherokee and that even replacing the module was a guess at best as to what the problem was. So long story short I have a brand new vehicle with less than 10,000 miles with a malfunctioning/inoperative airbag system that the dealership says may or may not be fixable.

- New York, NY, USA

May 012014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

We purchased Jeep on April 27th, we love it then few days later, the driver cv axle went off and spilled the grease over wheel... took it to dealership and waited for whole one week to replace the driver's... so, I asked them to replace both for once but they said no. So other one week later, passenger side went out... took 2 days. Only 650 miles that time. So, at 950 miles, we saw some smoke coming out from interior trunk. It turned out that the bulb touches the interior trunk cover and it current got a hole with plastic burnt. All under 1K mile"!" so, we contacted Chrysler care last Friday and hear nothing from them....

- Smithfield, RI, USA

Jan 202014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Have had trouble with the led driving lights not working properly. Been in for service 4 times so far and still not fixed. I obtained a lawyer because the truck is under the Ohio state lemon law. The truck is still not fixed and since I have obtained a lawyer, the dealership has stopped trying to fix the electrical issue. I have been dealing with this since the day I bought the truck and Jeep still has not responded to my lawyer. Stuck with a Jeep for the last 6 months that does not work properly and cannot get any work done on the truck or get it replaced.

- Canton, OH, USA

May 232014

Grand Cherokee

Traveling at highway speed numerous warning messages and warning chimes started to go off. Created distractions to driving and it appears that air bag and seat belts stopped functioning intermittently. Cruise control also failed. Vehicle already serviced on all prior recalls two months ago. These issues are new starting on 5/23/2014. Dealer appt is scheduled for 5/26/2014. In past, also reported issues with transmission shifting and HVAC. Not a well tested vehicle. Far too many dangerous issues with vehicle. Hope NHTSA can investigate issues.

- Wildwood, MO, USA

Dec 262013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My heater/air conditioner doesn't adhere to the set temp. It will fluctuate 10-15 degrees all by itself. The radio / computer screen will constantly jam up. There are over one thousand of people with the same issues. (www.jeepgarage.org/F107/problem-with-2014-grand-Cherokee-heater-68973.html) I have had my car in 3X, they still have no fix. The dealer says they re-flash the main computer. The problem is there when I drive off.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 032014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that upon inspection, the gauges on the instrument panel independently reset. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 13V483000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, service brakes, hydraulic). The failure mileage was 4,800.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Apr 202014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While traveling home from a family vacation at about 40 mph my seat belt light started flashing saying that the driver and passenger air seat belt was not engaged along with the lights and dinging alarm saying that the air bag is in need of service, this has not gone off and the dinging is constant. I called and set up an appointment at the dealership and waited 4 hours for them to tell me that they did not have parts needed to repair the issue that it was on back order (at least 1 1/2 weeks) but would not be providing a rental car since the car was still drive able and that they would call when the part was in. I am very upset because I am in the automotive industry and know that this is a safety concern/ risk. I have also been experiencing issues with my transmission. I regret making this purchase.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Apr 242013

Grand Cherokee

Since I bought this vehicle when one turns a corner and the paddle shifter is in advertently touched the car can drop into any gear and can slow so that one stands a risk of being rear ended as has narrowly happened to me. There is a real need to prevent this dangerous behavior to have a preventer mechanism of some sort to prevent this by reprogramming the software or by mechanical means by installing a switch of some sort that must be separately engaged to transfer control of gear to the paddle shifter.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Nov 182013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Transmission was replaced at approx. 16K miles. Other Jeep owners are experiencing issues with the transmission. Was taken in for service at 10K, 11,658K and now 16K for repair with ultimately replacing transmission; key fob does not work daily - will not lock vehicle nor will vehicle start for a period of approx ten to 15 minutes after being able to get into vehicle - dealership/service continues to indicate they can't duplicate despite my having this issue every day.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Mar 272014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On 3/27/14, my brand new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee spontaneously burst into flames and almost got in my face. After smelling and seeing smoke, I pulled over into a dirt parking lot at a business and the dashboard of my new vehicle burst into flames, after I heard a "woosh." A lady from the local business came running out of the business with a fire extinguisher and I was able to shoot it into the holes that were once the heat vents to kill the flames. The dash was buckled, the windshield blackened, the gauges melted, the roof lining gone, the visors melted, and the inside covered with CO2 and smoke damage. I suffered smoke and CO2 inhalation and my clothes were ruined, but I am lucky to be alive! the dealer refuses to help me....updated 09-10-2014 updated 11/7/2014

- Lords Valley, PA, USA

Nov 192013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Evts inoperative, no blue light. Took to dealership and found wire to evts emergency button severed, possibly shorted. Repaired wires, did not correct condition. Replaced with new evts, condition repaired successfully. At same time also had recall N58 performed, reprogram instrument cluster ABS / al. Then at 4040 miles oil change due light came on and had the first oil change done. The check engine light came on a very short time after that and back to the dealership at 4654 miles. Said it was a defective oil pressure sensor, sensor was replaced, cleared codes and found no additional problems. Now at about 12000 miles the oil change due light never came on, but took the car in for an oil change anyway. Now the check engine light along with a low oil pressure light came on, car did not want to shift or speed up, got off the road and had car towed to dealership waiting to be repaired again.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Mar 062014

Grand Cherokee

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has been has been having electrical problems. Several different electrical problems occur after which the check engine light will illuminate. Of these electrical problems the dangerous ones include: Headlights shutting off, dashboard completely shutting, and vehicle shut off while in motion. We have had the following replace in our vehicle: Burnt wires in our engine harness, faulty solenoid, alternator, PCM, and ABS module. The issue still occurs. Purchasing the vehicle in Dec we've brought the vehicle back into the dealership for service 3-4 times. While we haven't filed for lemon law yet, Jeep promised us that they would take a look at replacing our vehicle after a number of problem. Their answer to us was to wait to see if the issue occurred again. While we may file for lemon law, we feel that it will be important that we report these issues as they are experienced by other consumers on forums across the internet.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Feb 012014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that there was water in the battery compartment. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was confirmed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 400.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Feb 032014

Grand Cherokee

The car alarm continues to go off on its own. I have already had a software update for multiple problems with the radio, phone pairing, etc. Have tried to set the alarm remotely by phone, by locking vehicle from inside the vehicle and also by touching button on door handle. No matter how I lock the vehicle the same thing continues to happen with the alarm going off.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Sep 192013

Grand Cherokee

TL-the contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph. The touch screen climate control thermostat became inoperable. The vehicle engine light indicator illuminated also. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle had been taken to a dealer. The mechanic diagnose that the soft wear, hardware modules needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 9,600.lj

- Milton, NY, USA

Dec 182013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the instrument panel flickered. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The contact was unsure of what the exact diagnosis was. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident and informed her that the vehicle was not listed under recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V483000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, service brakes, hydraulic). The approximate failure mileage was 600.

- Vauxhall, NJ, USA

Jan 292014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that after repairs were performed on the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 13V483000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, service brakes, hydraulic) all of the warning lights illuminated and the speedometer failed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 14,000.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jan 092014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Check engine light came on. After shutting vehicle down for a couple hrs check engine light was off but horn would randomly go off every 15mins. I had to pull the fuse to stop it. I then noticed the dash was staying on and flickering when the vehicle was shut off. 2days later battery was dead. So far Chrysler has authorized a flash on the instrument cluster board which did not work. The part needed is on back order and wont be available for a month. They refuse to give out an acceptable loaner and told me I can take my chances and drive my vehicle.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

May 012013

Grand Cherokee

I am currently leasing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - the lease started in May 2013. Since driving the car off the lot I have had constant problems with the radio/navigation/bluetooth and back-up camera - none of them work 90% of the time. The car often wont turn off even after turning it off (ie radio wont go off headlights wont turn off). I have taken the car in twice for repairs and the problems are no better. I have 2 other friends with the exact same car and the exact same problems.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 262012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Bottom line: Battery was sitting in a pool of water 4 inches away from the neg/pos battery terminal. Potential electrical fire " a newly acquired 2014 Jeep Laredo with less than 1000 driven miles from the date of delivery. We were hearing a water sloshing sound that was profound upon starting from a dead stop and then coming to a stop sign. Once the vehicle was stopped fluid was heard sloshing around similar to a cooler of ice water. After doing an internet search there were similar problems found with this vehicle in the past. Since this was a brand new vehicle, I took it to the dealer as I wanted to know if this was safe to drive. The service dealer of course said he never heard of this and that I would have to make an appointment. "I will not leave until someone either drives this car or looks at it and say it is safe". the counter guy was annoyed at my request and he went and got his chief service manager. To my surprise the service manager said to me as he was walking from across the service bay that he knew exactly what the problem was. We walked to the vehicle and he opened the passenger door and moved the passenger seat all the way forward. Then he opened the rear passenger side door, took out the floor mats and opened the battery compartment that is located "inside" the vehicle under the passenger seat. There was water pooled around the battery and 4 inches from reaching the + and - terminals. The service manager went under the vehicle and removed the plastic plug the size of a quarter. Water gushed out of the drain plug for at least 5 min then it turned into a trickle. The service manager schedule the vehicle to be fixed by a company that deals with water leaks. My complaint is that this posed an potential disaster from an electrical short caused by water pooling. Now is there going to be a mold problem in the future"

- Roanoke, VA, USA