Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 (and 2015) Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Grand Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Jul 242016

Grand Cherokee

I purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee limited edition from willie racine dealership in Vermont. I have had constant issues fueling the vehicle. Either the pump clicks off like the vehicle is full when it is empty or the pump does not click off when the vehicle is full. The first incident was the first fuel after purchase. The pump clicked off in the beginning of the fueling process. I attempted to position the nozzle a little different and restarted to fuel. When I did this the fuel came back out and covered my shoes and pants with fuel. I immediately let the sales person know I was having a problem that concerned me and he stated to try other pumps. Trying other pumps did not work. I began the fueling process and the pump did not shut off when the vehicle was full. It resulted in gas splashing onto my face, eyes, body, and feet. In addition the vehicle was drenched in fuel. The service station had to shut down the pump and clean up the chemical spill. Dealership had the Jeep 7 days. I brought it back to them and asked them to do the first fill after the fix. The vehicle again overflowed all over. It creates strong fumes for days inside the vehicle. It is a major threat to my personal safety and health as well as to others if a fire starts.this is unacceptable.

- Essex Junction, VT, USA

Jun 032016

Grand Cherokee

A part of the fuel pickup tube was noted missing when I brought the car in for a check engine light on June 3,2016. I paid for the dealer, West herr Dodge in orchard park, NY to order the part that day. I called several times to see if the part was in, including today and was told it wasn't. I was also told there are over 1700 of these parts on back order, which makes me believe this is a common problem that needs further looking into, especially at a cost of over $350.

- Lakeview, NY, USA

May 102016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle failed suddenly while turning in the middle of a busy intersection (city driving). Vehicle systems reported electronic throttle module failure, electronic barking system failure, airbag system failure, vehicle sensor failure all simultaneously. Check engine light turned on.

- Lafayette, CO, USA

Oct 082015

Grand Cherokee

Car completely shut off while driving on a busy street without warning. Dearlership says nothing is wrong with it and wait for the car to shut off on a regular basis. Then maybe they will be able to pin point the issue. This is the second issue with the car on 7/31/2015 car shut off while driving on a busy street without warning. Turns out the fuel pump went bad.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Sep 222014

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle is an eco-diesel model. Engine check light came on and the vehicle abruptly lost power as we accelerated away from a stop light. Initially the vehicle would not go over 20 mph. It gradually allowed us to get up to about 50 mph, but with noticeable vibration. Then a notice displayed on the information center telling us to service the electronic speed control. Took it in the next day and the dealer said we were driving with left foot on the brake and right foot on the accelerator causing the computer to be confused. Same problem happened a second time a week later. This time it gained enough power to get us up to 40 mph and home. We then had it towed to the dealer. Not sure what they did to fix the problem but it has not happened since, however the engine check light has come on again 3 different times. Each time the dealer says that they don't know what is causing the problem. The first two times the engine check light came on the dealer said it was ok to drive until they could schedule service. The third time we asked the dealer to contact Jeep headquarters for technical support. Corporate Jeep said not to drive the vehcile with the engine light on, that it could cause serious problems. On-line research and discussion with other local owners of the same eco-diesel model suggest this is a systemic problem with potential safety issues.

- Sandia Park, NM, USA

Feb 222015

Grand Cherokee

Upon starting car blue/gray smoke comes out of exhaust. Smoke billows for 30-40 seconds. Recurring issue specifically when car is parked on incline in driveway. Been told by dealer there is no recall but it is a common problem.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Nov 122014

Grand Cherokee

From a stop, right turn, accel towards planned speed of 60. At app. 50mph approaching guardrails then bridge the vehicle 'locks up' (no screeching brakes), thought 'trans' (previous unresolved problems), engine sputters, about to die, speed has dropped 30mph, (assume no brake lights). Quick decision (rails 75'), get to shoulder. Small shoulder, deep ditch with a steep downhill pitch to the river. Just as I was about to enact the decision the engine "roars" to life and hits 65mph before I can react and apply the brakes mid-bridge. The whole incident only took seconds, maybe 7 to 10. Took it, once again, to blevins motors, potsdam NY and once again was told that their diagnostic computer saw no abnormalities. This time I asked for a print out of said report and was told there was no such thing as a 'print out'. I am a 100% disabled vet with a head injury and ptsd. This the salesman was notified of the first thing. I did not mention the ptsd as it had always been my problem and explosive anger was never present. The "injury" was after months of lies and 'dirty dealing' from the start that they finally 'beat a path' in my brain to the anger part. It led to many visits with my va psychologist, loss of friends as I seemed abnormally consumed with my ill-treatment by blevins, which I was, and total frustration that I had no recourse via the law because I could "blow" at the least slight. I have to a great degree put the 'ptsd' back in its box, but the damage to what was an already slowly slipping brain that I had accepted, it took a big hit damage wise. I no longer check E'mail. 315-353-5016 day or night. Thankyou!

- Norwood, NY, USA

Jan 112015

Grand Cherokee

It appear def system and cat converter not properly designed vehicle in 3 times for same failure code P20ee all issues relate to emissions and sensors there's a pump and a screen or two but clogs crystallization are what cases vehicle to initiate a countdown timer til engine stops my vehicle in for repair now this is issue for diesel vehicles only I am also on Jeep website or more so forums everyone seems to have this problem.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 092015

Grand Cherokee 4-cyl

The Jeep Grand Cherokee overland (may be other models) has a feature identified as eco. It is actually a dash button that must be manually overridden each time the car is started. The function is (I suppose) a fuel saving mode, however myself and many others in the Jeep blogs have a serious issue in that the car reacts in a sluggish mode when pulling into traffic and shifts in a manner not normally associated with smooth driving as the shift points are changed from what one would consider normal. It appears to inject more air, less fuel into the firing process producing the sluggish driving experience. I and others have sought relief from this ( opt out function) from dealers, to no avail. Many drivers, as have I, have express fear of a potential collision when this feature is engaged. There appears to be a disconnect between the epa, seeking improved economy and the highway safety board seeking to reduce accidents. At the very least this feature should be modified to be an "opt in" feature to be possibly utilized in highway conditions not in stop and go and merging traffic.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 192014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

In less than a year of ownership my car started with the problems. On 8/19/14 the car idles but it will not start. Towed it to midway Jeep and Chrysler the car was returned to me running but was told they would be ordering a tipm part which is part of a recall. On 9/4/14 I came back and the tipm was replaced. On 12/17/14 the same issue occurred again and another tipm was replaced. It is now 2/27/15 and I am experiencing the same problem. The car has been towed again. This is a lemon.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 052013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V643000 (air bags, seat belts); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact was concerned that the air bag would deploy in his face. The vehicle burned oil continuously and there was blue fumes coming from the rear of the vehicle. In addition, the horn sounded and the hood latch failed. The dealer repaired the vehicle. The brake master cylinder protective plate was repaired under NHTSA campaign notification P67. The fuel door mechanism was fractured and the dealer repaired the vehicle. The dip stick was not replaced. A grinder was marked for a new factory dip stick. The contact also stated that the dealer placed too much oil in the vehicle. When the vehicle was new with less than 200 miles, the instrument cluster failed and the contact could not see how fast the vehicle was driving. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed a short circuit in the sun visor wiring. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also stated that the locks unlocked on their own. When the button was pushed on the key fob to open the rear tailgate, it would not respond. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 11,351.

- Sunprairie, WI, USA

Dec 092014

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

On separate occasions vehicle had issue shifting from 1st to 2nd gear lurching forward even when at a stop and my foot was on the break. The vehicle also had three issues with the def sensors which were worked on or replaced three separate times. Since the last fixed was just done on or approximately around February 1st, I will be waiting to see if the issue continues. The latest issue is has something to do with the catalyst. It's having an issue sensing that the vehicle is creating enough heat to burn off by product. It is slated to be replaced within two weeks. I have been notifying Jeep about all of these problems. I have a case manager working on the problems. I have read several sites that show there is an issue with an exposed def sensor which Jeep is not acknowledging. It is the new eco-diesel engine.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Dec 172014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. Check engine light came on... took to dealer. They flashed it. Check engine light came on again. This time the car gave me a warning that it would go into limp mode in 150 miles. Took to dealer. It is parked they say its the pre-catalytic converter and it needs to be replaced. No time line on getting part or vehicle back. This limp mode is a major danger. The service manager said there were 46 "parked" Jeep waiting for the part. I regularly take my Jeep into the outdoors I could be stranded if the Jeep went into limp mode putting me in a dangerous situation.

- Tualatin, OR, USA

Oct 312014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On Friday, October 31, 2014, less than one week after taking delivery of the car (it was new),I was unable to pump gasoline into the fuel tank. Attempts to pump gas directly from pumps at a couple different gas stations (and one time attempting to use the "funnel" provided for filling from a gas can) resulted in the fuel filler neck backing up, dumping fuel on the side of the car and my hand. My car dealer has informed me that they intend to replace the fuel tank to resolve the problem.. the automobile has a cap-less gas filler system. The car was delivered new with a full tank of gas so it appears to have developed the problem after delivery.

- Garnet Valley, PA, USA

Jul 262014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The vehicle, a Jeep gc with V6 turbo diesel, just died while on the freeway and had to be towed. We tried to start it about 10 times over the next 36 hours without success. Then it did start and drove ok for about an hour and a half on the highway and then died immediately while driving 75 mph. It was towed to a Chrysler dealer where they said they replaced the fuel pump.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Aug 242014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Sudden shutdown of eco-diesel with fuel still present in tank, dealer identified faulty fuel tank pump. No replacement part available, no estimated time frame for available replacement. Less than 3000 miles on car. Jeep tech in detroit knew of problem indicating that others have reported similar events. Jeep recommendation is keep fuel level above 1/2 tank with no permanent solution or fix available at this time.

- Helena, MT, USA

Aug 042014

Grand Cherokee

Pressed on gas pedal to go across intersection and car did not go, then all of a sudden the car lunged out into traffic and hit two other cars in the intersection.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

Apr 292014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact moved off the roadway and discovered an unknown hose hanging from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a authorized dealer, who stated that the diesel exhaust fluid injector needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,500.

- Hicksville, NY, USA

Aug 062013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

After taking my new Jeep into dealer because the "check engine" light came on, I was told that there were 16 stored codes but they could find no problem and the computer was reset. Two days later the check engine light again came on. I took back to the dealership and was told "there is a leak in the fuel tube" we have to replace it but we will have to order the part; we don't have it in stock. I was told "it is safe to drive"...a leak in the fuel tube-what the heck is leaking-is safe. Ok, but two trips to the dealer with less than 2,500 miles is a bit much. I have a 2006 Jeep, same make/model that had 1st major repair (water pump) at 145,000 much for improved models. I am very concerned that this is a harbinger of future issues.

- Painted Post, NY, USA

May 032013

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle stalled for no reason. It took multiple attempts (approx 10 times) to restart the vehicle. It would start and I could drive 40-50 yards and would stall again. Multiple lights came on such as vehicle in gear (it wasn't), etc. Once it did restart and I was able to drive to the dealer the check engine light stayed on. The vehicle has done this twice now without cause (I have only had the vehicle for 4 weeks). The Jeep dealership kept the vehicle for a couple days. They were finally able to reset the codes and did a software update. I found out a crank sensor had been replaced before I purchased the vehicle.they said they could not guaranty it would not happen again and to check back in the near future as additional software updates may become available.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA