CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee also has the same transmission issues.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Feb 062016

Grand Cherokee

I have owned a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 6 months now. On at least 3 different occasions I have exited the vehicle with the engine running thinking it was in 'park' only to find later upon re-entering the vehicle that it was actually in 'reverse'. the only thing that kept the vehicle from rolling away was that I had firmly engaged the emergency brake. Luckily, I have a habit of always using my emergency brake. In two instances, with the engine running and thinking the vehicle was in 'park' I exited the vehicle and went behind it to open the tailgate. When the tailgate would not open I went back to the driver's side only to realize the vehicle was actually in 'reverse' (which is why the tailgate would not open). Again, the only thing that kept the vehicle from rolling away (or onto me) was the firmly engaged emergency brake. I think the design of the gear shift selector is a serious safety issue that could easily result in injury, death, and/or property damage.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 182015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that after the gear shifter was placed in park, the vehicle began to roll backwards independently. At times, it was difficult to know if the vehicle was in park or reverse due to the failure of the gear shifter. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Park City, UT, USA

Grand Cherokee

The automatic transmission shifter does not have a positive feel and is difficult to find the correct gear. Shift gates are minimal. It is very easy to unintentionally leave the car in "reverse" when you intend to put it in "park". on one occasion I stepped out of the car while it was in "reverse" after I thought the car was in "park". you really have to apply force and double check the dash display to make sure the car is in "park". after my incident, I always find I have to double check to make sure the car is in "park". shouldn't be that way - poor engineering. We have not had an incident in some time but it takes a lot of practice to "master" the electronic shifter. I have noticed Jeep has gone to a gated shift for the 2016 model year. This would be the safest and most appropriate fix. This electronic shift could be very dangerous to someone who isn't familiar with the car.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 042015

Grand Cherokee

On 9/4/15 I was backing a boat into the lake using this vehicle. I put the vehicle into park, or thought I did, and opened the driver door. As I exited the vehicle rolled backwards, knocked me down, and the entire vehicle, with boat and trailer, went into the lake. I have noticed since then that the shifter requires you to hold it in park for a second before the park gear will engage. Slamming the shifter towards park, even with the button depressed and foot on the brake, will not always engage the parking gear. You must wait until the parking gear light on the dash is illuminated. This is not user friendly. I would suggest a sensor being installed on the transmission that automatically shifts into park when the driver door is opened, much like the Mercedes GL450.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Oct 092015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The vehicle was equipped with the push to start keyless ignition. The gear lever was shifted into park and the push start ignition was engaged. The contact exited the vehicle. After returning, the contact discovered that the engine remained in operation. The failure recurred on five separate occassions. In addition, the vehicle independently shifted into reverse. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.

- Melbourne Beach, FL, USA

Jan 122016

Grand Cherokee

On January 12 2016 at 9am I was parking in an office parking lot. After coming to a stop in the parking space behind a cement curb and 2 to 3 feet from an office building I started move the gear shift from "drive" to "park." The car suddenly surged forward at fast acceleration over the curb and into the building. My foot was on the brake but the car was only stopped by the brick building. There was considerable damage to the car and building. I contacted Chrysler corporation and the car was towed to the dealership where I had purchased it less that two months previously. On January 22, 2016 Chrysler responded they completed an investigation and that they did not believe the accident was due to a manufacturing responsibility. I requested a copy of the investigation but Chrysler has refused saying it is confidential and they have closed the case. The car is being repaired at the dealership but we do not feel it is safe to drive unless changes are made to the transmission. I have requested a letter from Chrysler that they feel the vehicle is safe to drive.

- Troy, MI, USA

Grand Cherokee

The console shifter is not atypical of a normal automatic transmission shifter. The gate does not have a feel that allows the driver to sense which gear they are in. I just recently left the car in neutral while stopping to go mail a letter at he mailbox. The Jeep started to roll and I was struct by the mirror. I am just glad I was able to get back into the vehicle and apply the brakes.

- Oceanside, NY, USA

Feb 012016

Grand Cherokee

The shifter in this vehicle is not intuitive, sticks in gears and has poor tactile feedback for desired gear. Often the vehicle stays in reverse gear when pushed all the forward when parking from drive. In multiple instances I thought the car was in park and exited the vehicle with the car running to find it was still in reverse. The car started to roll backwards as I was getting out. Also, paddle shifters are erratic and do not shift when under high RPM. I complained to the dealer a few times only to be told "it takes some getting used to". this is a serious safety issue. I've owned 5 Grand Cherokee including the 2011 year with a perfectly functional and safe gear selector.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 032016

Grand Cherokee

It is very difficult to find park or reverse with the shifter. Have left it in reverse or nuetral with engine running and exiting the car. Fortunately the parking brake was engaged which prevented the car from moving. Needs to be fixed.

- Roxkcille, MD, USA

Aug 012015

Grand Cherokee

The transmission shift knob is difficult to use and does not go into intended gear or park easily. Often I will stop the car, shift into park, and find that the car still moves after I take my foot off the brake... turns out its not actually in park. There is no intuitive way to feel that the shifter is firmly in the park position. This creates a dangerous situation. Same applies with the button/knob to turn the car off. If I am stopped and push it, it seems like it should put the car in park and shut off it does not. I have parked the car and begun to exit on at least 10 occasions when the car moved.other drivers that have borrowed my car have experienced the same thing. This is my 8th Jeep Grand Cherokee that I have owned or leased... I have not experienced this problem with any of the prior vehicles. It is dangerous.

- Chester, NJ, USA

Grand Cherokee

Shifting mechanism does not always go into park when the lever is activated and directed to the parking indicator.. one new symptom last couple of days.. the computer screen display indicates it will not go into park because the vehicle is still moving - yet the vehicle is setting still.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Jan 162016

Grand Cherokee

The electronic gear shift can be confusing since it is easy to lose track of the number of 'virtual' steps it has moved in either direction. The dashboard display can be obscured by the steering wheel spokes if in a turning position so one can think the transmission is in park while the engine is idling and exit the vehicle. Bottom line you have to be very proactive about determining what state the transmission is in since the feedback by click / feel is subtle and the dash display can be obscured. In short I am not surprised some have been surprised by this transmission shift mechanism as I find myself often moving the shift arm too far or not enough. One good feature is not being able to shut off the engine if the transmission is not in "park'. so that is a useful clue. But that still allows the distracted driver to exit the vehicle, motor idling, and the transmission not in park. I understand the shift mechanism has been changed for 2016 which may be an improvement. Personally, it sounds to me like they knew they had a potential problem.

- Alamo, CA, USA

Nov 032015

Grand Cherokee

My 2015 Jeep Cherokee has approximately 6,000 miles on it. I've had it in 3 times due to the transmission surging, and is at the dealer again now. The car was surging between 45 & 40 and 25 & 20 mph when I slowed down. I took it into the dealer and they did some software changes. The car still surged at 30 to 25 mph, and sometimes with my foot off of the gas, it just kept going at 25 mph. After the dealer replaced the transmission, it was still surging at about 25 mph. They made more adjustments on it. The tech told me that it wasn't right when the car was cold, so he let it cool again, drove it cold, and he said it seems fine now. It's in the shop again after I found that it was still surging at 25 mph and now when the car is cold, when you step on the gas the car hesitates before moving forward. This could be a dangerous problem when pulling out into traffic. Auto blog advised that there were no complaints on the 2015 Cherokee for the transmission problems that were common in the 2014 models. Maybe there have been other complaints since that article was last updated. I believe that there is still a problem with the 9 speed transmission.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jan 302016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle rolls backward while shifter is in the park position

- North Salt Lake, UT, USA

Jan 202016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle rolls forward while in park. Shift selector is in park and the vehicle rolls. Marked crash due to one instance where it rolled in to the house deck. No damage to either vehicle or deck other than minor scratches. This has happed several times and I have a video of the vehicle rolling while shift selector is in park.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Dec 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After parking on a slight incline and exiting the vehicle, it suddenly began to roll backwards. The contact was able to get back into the vehicle and apply the brakes to stop. The vehicle experienced a second incident while parked on an incline where it rolled forward down a slight incline and crashed into a building. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500.

- Raliegh, NC, USA

Dec 182015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle shifted out of gear into neutral. The contact stated that this was a recurring issue. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 19,000.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Oct 172015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that after the gear shift was switched into the park position and the vehicle was parked, the vehicle rolled backwards independently. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a brick wall. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after exiting the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 300.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Nov 012015

Grand Cherokee

Several issues with automatic gear select shifter: 1) I have had 2 roll-aways where the gear shift was firmly placed all the way forward, car left running to step out and load vehicle, car was not in park. 2) twice while driving car inexplicably shifts to neutral. Will not shift back into gear until vehicle is stopped, button on gear shifter is pushed, and then it will go into drive again. 3) I was in a challenging traffic situation where I needed to quickly move from drive to reverse, however I was able to engage park, neutral, and drive, however I could not easily find reverse. I ended up causing quite a traffic concern, and was flashed the blue lights by a policeman who asked if I was having problems, then moved me along with a frown. I have owned Jeep products for the last 5 years, and have had no issues until I bought this year's vehicle. The shift knob is a real problem. I am not a complainer, however this is a major safety issue. It terrifies me to drive this vehicle. I have gotten just lip service from the dealing, saying they can look at it when they get a chance, and maybe schedule me in later this month. This is unacceptable. Please help.

- Enumclaw, WA, USA

Oct 132015

Grand Cherokee

The operator was attempting to enter the vehicle while it was running and in park. As the operator attempted to enter the vehicle he placed his left hand on the top of the driver's side door and his right hand on the steering wheel. The vehicle transmission engaged and the vehicle started to move in reverse. A witness stated that the vehicle "took off like a rocket". the witness estimated that the vehicle traveled approximately 15 feet in a second. The operator was struck by the vehicle and suffered serious injuries. The vehicle traversed several lanes of travel, struck a curb, which changed its direction of travel. The vehicle then traversed several more lanes of travel and struck another vehicle with sufficient force to cause it to "jump" the curb...updated 05/02/16

- Cheshire, CT, USA