Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee also has the same transmission issues.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Jan 162016

Grand Cherokee

The electronic gear shift can be confusing since it is easy to lose track of the number of 'virtual' steps it has moved in either direction. The dashboard display can be obscured by the steering wheel spokes if in a turning position so one can think the transmission is in park while the engine is idling and exit the vehicle. Bottom line you have to be very proactive about determining what state the transmission is in since the feedback by click / feel is subtle and the dash display can be obscured. In short I am not surprised some have been surprised by this transmission shift mechanism as I find myself often moving the shift arm too far or not enough. One good feature is not being able to shut off the engine if the transmission is not in "park'. so that is a useful clue. But that still allows the distracted driver to exit the vehicle, motor idling, and the transmission not in park. I understand the shift mechanism has been changed for 2016 which may be an improvement. Personally, it sounds to me like they knew they had a potential problem.

- Alamo, CA, USA

Nov 032015

Grand Cherokee

My 2015 Jeep Cherokee has approximately 6,000 miles on it. I've had it in 3 times due to the transmission surging, and is at the dealer again now. The car was surging between 45 & 40 and 25 & 20 mph when I slowed down. I took it into the dealer and they did some software changes. The car still surged at 30 to 25 mph, and sometimes with my foot off of the gas, it just kept going at 25 mph. After the dealer replaced the transmission, it was still surging at about 25 mph. They made more adjustments on it. The tech told me that it wasn't right when the car was cold, so he let it cool again, drove it cold, and he said it seems fine now. It's in the shop again after I found that it was still surging at 25 mph and now when the car is cold, when you step on the gas the car hesitates before moving forward. This could be a dangerous problem when pulling out into traffic. Auto blog advised that there were no complaints on the 2015 Cherokee for the transmission problems that were common in the 2014 models. Maybe there have been other complaints since that article was last updated. I believe that there is still a problem with the 9 speed transmission.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jan 302016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle rolls backward while shifter is in the park position

- North Salt Lake, UT, USA

Jan 202016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle rolls forward while in park. Shift selector is in park and the vehicle rolls. Marked crash due to one instance where it rolled in to the house deck. No damage to either vehicle or deck other than minor scratches. This has happed several times and I have a video of the vehicle rolling while shift selector is in park.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Dec 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After parking on a slight incline and exiting the vehicle, it suddenly began to roll backwards. The contact was able to get back into the vehicle and apply the brakes to stop. The vehicle experienced a second incident while parked on an incline where it rolled forward down a slight incline and crashed into a building. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500.

- Raliegh, NC, USA

Dec 182015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle shifted out of gear into neutral. The contact stated that this was a recurring issue. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 19,000.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Oct 172015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that after the gear shift was switched into the park position and the vehicle was parked, the vehicle rolled backwards independently. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a brick wall. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after exiting the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 300.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Nov 012015

Grand Cherokee

Several issues with automatic gear select shifter: 1) I have had 2 roll-aways where the gear shift was firmly placed all the way forward, car left running to step out and load vehicle, car was not in park. 2) twice while driving car inexplicably shifts to neutral. Will not shift back into gear until vehicle is stopped, button on gear shifter is pushed, and then it will go into drive again. 3) I was in a challenging traffic situation where I needed to quickly move from drive to reverse, however I was able to engage park, neutral, and drive, however I could not easily find reverse. I ended up causing quite a traffic concern, and was flashed the blue lights by a policeman who asked if I was having problems, then moved me along with a frown. I have owned Jeep products for the last 5 years, and have had no issues until I bought this year's vehicle. The shift knob is a real problem. I am not a complainer, however this is a major safety issue. It terrifies me to drive this vehicle. I have gotten just lip service from the dealing, saying they can look at it when they get a chance, and maybe schedule me in later this month. This is unacceptable. Please help.

- Enumclaw, WA, USA

Oct 132015

Grand Cherokee

The operator was attempting to enter the vehicle while it was running and in park. As the operator attempted to enter the vehicle he placed his left hand on the top of the driver's side door and his right hand on the steering wheel. The vehicle transmission engaged and the vehicle started to move in reverse. A witness stated that the vehicle "took off like a rocket". the witness estimated that the vehicle traveled approximately 15 feet in a second. The operator was struck by the vehicle and suffered serious injuries. The vehicle traversed several lanes of travel, struck a curb, which changed its direction of travel. The vehicle then traversed several more lanes of travel and struck another vehicle with sufficient force to cause it to "jump" the curb...updated 05/02/16

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Oct 222015

Grand Cherokee

On 10/22/2015, I parked my Jeep Grand Cherokee with engine running and exited the vehicle.the shifter was placed in park prior to my exit. About 30 seconds later, I discovered my Jeep crashed into an occupied apartment. The Jeep had rolled backwards, unattended, across a parking lot until it struck the building causing damage to the structure. No injuries. Sevierille police report filed 2015030090.

- North Fort Myers, FL, USA

Sep 302015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle's sensor stopped the vehicle without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the transmission made a banging noise. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired, but the issue was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 1,100.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Nov 172015

Grand Cherokee

Transmission seems to hesitate when I initially start driving (as if it is struggling with the gear) then it jumps. Gear also appears to be at #5 when I am under 40mph. Does not feel right and just recently started doing this. Only has 5500 miles on it. Then it seems at times that the front headlights flicker while driving when it is dark out.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Oct 302015

Grand Cherokee

At 2:30 pm on October 30th 2015 I parked in a commercial lot. I left the vehicle to go into a store, when I came out of the store I realized the car was "running". I opened the door and reached around the steering wheel to turn the car off by pressing the start/stop button. I think proceeded to leave the vehicle to go to another store. When I came out of the 2nd store I saw my car had engaged into drive and moved over 50 feet across the parting lot and hit another vehicle. When I got to my car I found it running and in "drive". this all happened without anyone in the car. The car basically "ran away" without anyone in the vehicle.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Sep 142015

Grand Cherokee

While in "park" and idling, the vehicle rolled forward and struck objects 20 yards away causing $1500 worth of damage to the right front bumper. My wife parked the car and had exited the vehicle, when after a about 30 seconds, it rolled forward and struck headstones in a cemetery. The car still indicated it was in "park" when my son rentered the vehicle...updated 05/02/16

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

Oct 292015

Grand Cherokee

2015 Grand Cherokee - 6 cyl - transmission propblem- multiple occasions of hard & loud shifting in low gears - stuck in low gear - loss of power - poor mpg - check engine light on indicating trans. Errors - dealer has repaired / patched software 3 times and problems continue...

- Emerald Hills, CA, USA

Jan 012015

Grand Cherokee

The owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle was upshifted and downshifted and jerked violently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that there was a design flaw with the transmission and it needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40.

- Darien, CT, USA

Oct 032015

Grand Cherokee

Leased car on 9/4/2015. Someone at dealership had been driving it so it had 4800 miles when I got it. On 10/3/2015, got in car, started engine, shifted car into drive and it revved but didn't move. Service parking brake light came on. I hadn't touched the parking brake. Turned car off and on again. Same wouldn't shift into gear, then got "service transmission" message and check engine light. Repeated turning car on and off several times, shifting. No response. Turned car on, put in reverse. Heard a loud thunk and the car moved backward. Put in drive, heard a loud thunk again, and car moved sluggishly forward. Limped home, car not responding as normal to pressure of gas pedal, praying I got there without the car dying. Called service at 8 a.M. at 9:30 a.M., went to leave house to take car to dealership. Backed down the driveway, put car in drive, no response. I thought I had gone down my driveway in reverse, but it must have just rolled down since we live on a hill. I turned car off and on again, put car in reverse. Loud thunk, like the bottom was falling out of car, and car lurched into reverse. Shifted to drive, another thunk and lurch. Pulled car to side of street and called chrylser roadside assistance for tow. Waited 5 hours for tow truck which came from another state. Really?! car is now at dealership, got call today 10/6 that the valve body on the transmission needs to be replaced and that it is a 7-10 day wait because the part is backordered. (after reading all these complaints, I now know why). I've paid two months lease on the vehicle, have been able to drive it for 3 weeks, and 500 miles. Current mileage is approximately 5300.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

May 202015

Grand Cherokee

After coming to complete stop (at a gas pump), put transmission into park, I stepped out of vehicle, within 10 seconds the vehicle began to slowly rolling backwards. My vehicle struck another vehicle causing damage to both vehicles. Now being more aware of this incident, I am very careful to assure both gear indicators- shift knob and display on dash- display "P", and check vehicle physical position for movement. I have noticed there is both a lag to change display and not a positive indication of the park position when changing gear.

- Westford, MA, USA

Aug 252015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While parked with the engine off, the vehicle moved independently and crashed into the garage door at the contact's residence. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. There were no injuries. A police report was not filed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,513......updated 02/10/16

- Alton, IL, USA

Aug 222015

Grand Cherokee

I pulled into a parking lot, put the vehicle into park and left the engine running. I got out of the vehicle, when it started to roll backwards. I attempted to climb into the vehicle to stop it, when I fell to the ground and the left front tire of the vehicle ran over my pelvic area. I am positive that the car was in park at the time it started to roll away.

- Commerce Twp, MI, USA