Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee also has the same transmission issues.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Dec 282015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle independently engaged the sport feature and revved rapidly. The vehicle accelerated rapidly as if it were in overdrive. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it could not be diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70.....updated 08/29/16 updated 08/30/16.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Mar 012016

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle often does not engage in gear. Eventually when it catches gear, the vehicle lunges considerably in gear forcing the car to jerk forward. It happens more often when going slow in traffic or going up and down hills. Very unstable in these situations. In one specific situation in traffic, car did not catch gear and then when it engaged, jerked forward into car in front of me.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jun 032016

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle locked when I was stopped in traffic in the highway, rendering the vehicle disabled in traffic while in drive. I pressed on the gas pedal but did not move. I hit my emergency lights placed the car in park and then shifted back to drive but got no movement. I then turned off the vehicle and restarted the vehicle and was able to move off the highway and took the surface streets to get home. I saw on this "site" there is a recall for 2016 models which is recall S28.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 162016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When placing the vehicle in park, it rolled away without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Woodruff, SC, USA

Feb 012016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After switching to the park position and exiting with the engine running, the vehicle suddenly drove forward and struck a second vehicle. The contact sustained an injured right arm. Medical attention was not required. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. Also, while driving at various speeds, the collision avoidance system randomly activated and caused the braking system to abruptly stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Dec 042015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled after the electronic throttle control warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle restarted; however, the failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body software needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 062015

Grand Cherokee

While driving the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee on cruise control, I needed to accelerate to avoid a traffic situation. I stepped on the accelerator and nothing. It did not engage to speed up even though I pushed the accelerator all the way to the floor. I removed my foot from the accelerator and stepped on it again, hoping it was a fluke, but still no acceleration. It did maintain the set cruise speed of 65 mph. It took approximately 15 to 20 seconds or more before the accelerator finally engaged. I had driven the vehicle earlier in the week for one 8 hour straight and two 3 hour straight trips with no issue. On this trip I had driven the vehicle for 5 hours prior to this event. Stopped and rested for about an hour and then proceeded to complete my trip. About 3 hours into this last leg is when this happened. It hasn't happened before or since (yet). I have previously reported to the dealership that there are many times a brief, second or second and one half delay from when I step on the accelerator before the accelerator engages. This is sporadic and doesn't seem to be a consistent problem. The salesman and the general manager indicated they haven't heard of this problem from other owners. I understood this is an inherent problem with the Toyota Tundra and assumed it to be related to the electronic acceleration process as compared to the old cable acceleration linkage in years past. I had in fact updated the software related to the recent recall through the uconnect web site, at least a week before this event.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Jul 292015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle auto accelerated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,500.

- Monroe , MI, USA

Jun 022015

Grand Cherokee

I was pulling my travel trailer South on I65 South at 70 mph and just crossed the Alabama state line and saw yellow flashing light and a sign to reduce speed to 60 mph. I was in cruise control set at 70 mph. I pressed the minus shift paddle to slow down but it didn't shift down low enough to slow me down. I then pushed the plus shift paddle to put me back into cruise control. The engine then over revved and shut down and I no longer had power to control forward motion. I coasted to the berm while tractor trailers zoomed by me. I had enough momentum to leave the highway ramp 143 and the come to a stop. The engine push start button still indicated run. I made a right turn as the engine was limping along. I then made another right turn on airport road and engine was still limping. Not knowing what to do I limped on to a dirt road until I came to a grain silo with a parking area in which I stopped. I then pushed the start button which was still in run and the button indicated off. I then pushed the start button and the engine started as normal with normal power and I continued back on my trip to mobile Alabama without incident. This problem is a potential safety problem and all owners of my model of Jeep should be warned not to use the shift paddles when in cruise control. The owners manual has no warnings. I called the dealer and then Jeep Chrysler customer hotline 1-800-992-1997 and both told me it was caused by "customer error". I think this control system software should lockout the paddle shift capability when in cruise control or if the speed of vehicle could cause over revving of the engine by down shifting. Maybe a mechanical max RPM switch on the engine would be better than computer software to limit engine revs. This perhaps would eliminate the potential for danger when the vehicle goes into limp mode as it did for me.

- Allison Park, PA, USA

Jun 042015

Grand Cherokee

Started the vehicle and noticed that parksense and forward collision warning were not working and every few minutes, the instrument panel, would beep and often display an error message. The messages it displayed were, "service shifter" (displayed most often), "park sense off" (it would automatically turn on and off) and "acc/fcw not working service required" (displayed a few times). Also, the screen (instrument panel) would flicker a few times and beep.the forward collision warning sensor did not work, regular cruise control did not work, adaptive cruise control did not work and parking sensors did not work. I brought it to the dealership and it appears that the acc ball (radar/camera/the thing that looks like the eye ball on the front bumper) had corrosion and all wires were shot. They ordered a new piece with harness and will replace it. However, it is my concern that this is a major electrical issue. The water can easily get into the harness (rain/snow/car wash). It should be still under warranty but what is the solution after the warranty is over? it looks like it needs to be replaced every 16,000 miles (approx.)

- Watchung, NJ, USA

Apr 132015

Grand Cherokee

I own a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland. I was informed of the NHTSA research into the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the problems individuals were having with the collision warning system and the automatic breaking. I have experienced the same problem two times. There was no vehicle or obstacle close to me and the collision avoidance system initiated the autmoatic breaking system while driving down an interstate highway. It did not cause an accident, thankfully. After the second incident, I disabled the forward collision warning system due to my fear that it would happen again and cause an accident. I was alerted to your investigation into the 2014 model but wanted to bring it to your attention regarding my 2015 model. Reference: The Office Of Defects Investigation (ODI) has received nine complaints alleging inappropriate activations of the autonomous braking system in model year (my) 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles. All nine reports alleged unexpected braking incidents preceded by collision imminent brake warnings and resulting in sudden reduction in vehicle speed in traffic. Two complaints reported autonomous braking incidents with no objects on the road resulting in rapid increase in brake force and anti-lock braking system (ABS) activations. The complaints alleged experiencing multiple events at different locations and road conditions. A preliminary evaluation has been opened to assess the frequency, scope and consequences of the alleged defect. The following voq numbers are associated with the issues discussed in this resume: 10543837, 10713629, 10690650, 10663320, 10630362, 10596913, 10533622, 10533524, 10651269.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 032014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at various speeds after disengaging the accelerator and brake pedals, the vehicle accelerated without any control. The vehicle shifted into different gears independently without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,000.

- Gronton , MA, USA

Dec 182014

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Third time of incident. While parallel parking, and shifting from reverse into drive, while foot is still on the brake the vehicle revs and lurches forward. 1st 2 times involved parking on snow/ice. Today, with a dry street and sneakers, vehicle began to rev. I attempted to shift into park to avoid lurching forward but failed to do so in time. When vehicle revs, I hold onto steering wheel and press brake with all my strength but unable to prevent the forward movement.

- Denver, CO, USA

Mar 112015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving down the road, with my foot steady on the gas, and the transmission shifted hard (8 speed automatic) and lunged my car forward without any pressure on the gas pedal. Then it continued to shift hard and lunge until I reached and maintained 40 mph ( in which my Jeep put the transmission into 8th gear at a steady 1000 RPM). This has happened multiple times since, and sometimes when I remote start the Jeep, it will give off a very loud high pitched whining sound for about a minute, then stops.

- Belmar, NJ, USA