2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments

Nov 102016

Grand Cherokee

11/10/16 I was on a city street, driving in traffic 10 mph, stopped in traffic, waiting to get on the highway for afterwork commute home. Took my foot off the brake to put on gas pedal as traffic was beginning to move, car would not drive, put car in neutral then back in drive, car would not move in drive, , no warning lights came on the dashboard, no lights iluminated. The vehicle had to be pushed into a warehouse parking lot, I called the dealer, the vehicle was towed back to the dealer on 11/10/16, by roadside assistance, I was informed by the dealer on 11/11/16, the transmission went. This is a lease 2016 grand Jeep Cherokee that I had for 6 weeks, with 2000 miles on it. Call to Jeep customer service 11/14/16, this is a serious safety issue, in 5 minutes I would have been merging onto a major highway, the transmission just went, no warning. Jeep customer service gave me a case #, called Jeep customer service again, 11/16/16, was told I would hear back in 2 business days, 11/18/16, 2 calls again to Jeep customer service no response. The vehicle is still at the dealer, I was told the clutch in the transmission broke, and the transmission is being replaced. I want this vehicle replaced with another vehicle same type, this is a major safety hazard for a transmission to just let go without warning, in a 6 week old car

- Holbrook, MA, USA

Oct 032016

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to service department lack of communication to schedule and repair shift interlock solenoid electrical connector (16V-249) and left front brake caliper (16V-168) recall notices.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Jul 182016

Grand Cherokee

Safety concern: The issue with the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee I leased is that it slips out of drive and into neutral while the car is in motion! this happens on its own, without my touching the gear shift. When it slips into neutral, the gear shift says its still in drive. Three times I have taken my car in to be serviced for this problem to the dealer ship I leased it from and each time they have told me that their diagnostic test shows that there is nothing wrong with it, yet it continues slipping out of drive and into neutral. I most recently took the car to a different Jeep dealership and they are telling me the same thing. I have called Fiat Chrysler corporation and spoken with gina lewis from their "Jeep resolution team" and they are not interested in fixing or getting the car off the road. They only tell me that because their diagnostic tests don't show that there is a problem, it is undocumented, therefore I should pick up the car and drive it. I understand the lemon laws and that problems need to be documented but this is potentially a life threatening safety issue and I am not willing to drive the car and wait for something terrible to happen before they acknowledge that there is a major transmission issue. At this point I am profoundly frustrated with the unwillingness of the dealer ships and Fiat Chrysler corporation to do something about this dangerous car. It should also be noted that there was a recall for shift interlock solenoid in the beginning of 2016. I am terrified to drive my car and truly fear for myself and others until this car is taken back by Chrysler.

- Culver City, CA, USA

Oct 072016

Grand Cherokee

I was trying to park and my vehicle would not go into park. A service transmission message came across my dash board. My vehicle was stationary however it would not park nor cut off.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 042016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V249000 (power train, service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part for the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Jul 302016

Grand Cherokee

We purchased a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee on July 25th at crown Chrysler of dublin, Ohio. During the test drive, the car failed to push start. After it started the salesperson advised he'd have it looked at, diagnosed, and fixed before purchase.two days later the check engine light began appearing. After 3 cycles of starting and stopping the vehicle the light did not go off. I stopped into the dealership on Saturday morning and after waiting for 47 minutes the service manager was able to plug in a computer and determine there was an emissions leak.the earliest appt was the following Friday. On Sunday, after filling the tank with gas, it failed to push start after 11 attempts which indicates that the salesperson failed to have it looked at, diagnosed, and fixed as promised prior to the sale. I was given a loaner on Monday and found this website, plugged in the VIN and noticed there was a recall (S28) for it! I advised the dealer to have it fixed. The dealer stated "your vehicle wasn't made within the time frame for that recall so it isn't necessary" I called Chrysler cust service and they advised that it most certainly was and is mandated to be repaired. This entire situation is unsettling to say the least. We've had this vehicle for less than 10 days and there is little faith in the performance of this brand new vehicle and zero trust that the dealership will do the needful in diagnosing, fixing, and at the very least completing a mandated recall (S28) I fear that this vehicle is a lemon. Especially after reading the horror stories regarding transmissions, gear issues, and unresolved issues from other complaints. I will post an update when we are to be picking up the vehicle but for now we are not satisfied with the vehicle or crown dealership of dublin, Ohio.

- Westerville, OH, USA

May 032016

Grand Cherokee

On 3 separate occasions (so far), occurring when the vehicle had around 200, 300, and 900 miles on it, I tried to accelerate after a stop but the vehicle struggled to move beyond maybe 15-20 mph. Each time, the engine loudly roared and revved, and, upon glancing at the dashboard, I saw very high RPM, near the redline. Each time, I was in traffic with vehicles behind me, but fortunately (with use of my emergency flashers) I avoided a collision. In the 2nd episode, I was on the on ramp to an expressway in downtown seattle. In two of the episodes, I pulled off the road to drop the RPM to idle, jiggled the shifter, and when I moved forward again, the transmission seemed to function normally. In the above expressway episode, I let off the gas pedal and did the same with the shifter (on the fly) and somehow the RPM dropped and the transmission began to respond again. After the 1st episode occurred, I have been extra careful to make sure the shifter is seated in drive when I begin to move forward, plus I don't touch it while driving, so I don't believe the shifter position is the problem. I have speculated that the transmission toggles between drive and neutral, but I think it's more likely that the transmission gets stuck in 1st gear, with inability to progress to higher gears. In at least the last incident, the vehicle had just restarted due to activation of the electronic stop-start system (ess), so it's possible that is involved. I talked with Jeep customer service and will bring the vehicle in for service asap, but decided to report here, as well, since I feel I was in danger when this occurred.

- Mercer Island, WA, USA

May 212016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V249000 (power train, service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Franklin, LA, USA

Apr 272016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V249000 (power train, service brakes, hydraulic); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA

May 232016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V249000 (power train, service brakes, hydraulic) and stated that the part was not available within a reasonable time frame to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The contact was unable to determine when the vehicle would be repaired. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact was not experiencing a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

May 172016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a stop light, the vehicle failed to move without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V249000 (power train, service brakes, hydraulic) and stated that the parts for the repairs were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 33,000. Part distribution disconnect.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Apr 052016

Grand Cherokee

This is a follow on to a complaint filed a few weeks ago. I came home from a business trip on 4/5/2016. I started the Jeep in the daily garage at bwi and warning lights came on for the stability control and engine. The gear indicators (P, N, D, etc.) were flashing and it did not recognize what gear it was in. It would not engage a gear, and would not turn off the engine. I had it towed to the dealer and left it overnight still running. The dealer finally got it turned off by pulling a sensor on the fuel pump. As of today, 4/28, it is still in the shop. They had replaced the valve tub but it did not fix the problem. They are now planning to replace the entire transmission, supposedly in the next few days, but as of today Jeep has not been able to explain exactly what's wrong with it. It had just over 500 miles on it when it failed, brand new, and has now been in the shop longer than I've owned it.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Apr 052016

Grand Cherokee

New, just over 500 miles. Parked overnight at the airport. When I started it when I returned from trip, system reports failure in electronic stability control and engine warning light is on. It would not go into gear, did not recognize it was in park, gear indicators flashing, car would not turn off and would not engage a gear. Had to tow it to dealer, left it at dealer with motor still running overnight. Dealer said they had a Chrysler 300 show up the next day with the same problem. Almost 2 weeks later it's still in the shop. I've only made one payment on it!

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Apr 142016

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall brand new with only 800 miles. Day one, shifting seemed odd. Thought it needed break in time. Stopped, the vehicle will almost lunge, making it feel like someone rear ended you. Shifts hard up or down shifting - around 3rd gear. Today, 20mph was running 3000 rpms and wouldn't shift. I pulled into parking lot and shut vehicle off and restarted. The tranny light was on and did not go off but the shifting was normal - which is not normal. Afraid that I will be stuck in stop mode and get rear ended or the vehicle won't shift going on the highway and will cause an accident. Doesn't matter what the temp is outside or temp of vehicle. Shifting is a jerky motion. Haven't made the first payment and already headed to dealer. I spoke with salesman and he said he is having same issues with his new Jeep. It should be under warranty but I am not happy that I have a brand new vehicle and paid this much money for it and it already has issues - major if it is transmission.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Jan 242016

Grand Cherokee

The electronic gear shifter in this vehicle went from park to rolling down a hill. I was parked and proceeded to exit the vehicle when it started rolling backwards. I jumped back into the vehicle and hit my right knee on the steering wheel and dash board. To avoid hitting the pedestrians behind my vehicle and hitting the vehicle directly behind me. No warning that the vehicle was not parked when the drivers door was open. I contacted Chrysler regarding this faulty design and was issued a case.....updated 06/15/16

- Farmingdale, NY, USA