6.8

2. replaced right cylinder head (2 reports)
  3. replaced evaporation hose (1 reports)
2002 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Dec 032015

Liberty 3.7L

Put money into car, still run not good. Won't start half of the time when it get cold out.

- , terre haute, IN, USA

Dec 022015

Liberty Sport 3.7L

It mad me so mad I could breath fire. The engine light was on, I took it to Autozone to have it checked. They said to change the plug and/or the coil. We changed both still no compression. Now everybody says over $1000. Or, another engine that costs over $2000. I don't have an income, it was a birthday present. It will probably never get fixed.

- , Waverly, OH, USA

Jul 012011

Liberty

Our check engine light stays on all the time. We have it checked all the time and it still pops on right after its reset. Never know if there is an actual problem.

- , Decatur, USA

Jul 072011

Liberty Limited 3.2L V6

It bugs me, I always think the Jeep in going to break again.

- , Belen, NM, USA

Feb 022012

Liberty Limited 4wd 3.7L V6

I've read other complaints about this issue and I know it has to do with the gas cap, but sometimes the light is on and other times it's off. I just live with it.

- , Albany, OR, USA

Jan 092014

Liberty Sport 3.6L V6

Shop replaced a hose of some sort. Check engine light back on after 4 days.

Update from Feb 3, 2014: See my other complaint forms

- , Frisco, TX, USA

Jan 042014

Liberty Sport 3.6L V6

Shop replaced gas cap and cleaned throttle body. Check engine light returned after 5 days

Update from Feb 3, 2014: See my other complaint forms

- , Frisco, TX, USA

Nov 102011

Liberty Sport 3.7L

Bought this used car for my college daughter 1 1/2 ago. It ran OK until a few months ago. The engine light comes on and gets hard to start sometimes.(have to turn over 10 seconds or so before it runs. The only codes we seem to ever get is a misfire on cylinder 1. Already replace all sparks plugs and #1 coil. Had fuel pressure checked (50lbs) @ turn on.Newly replaced battery, air filter,gas treatment, oil and filter changed. It can start fine 5times OK but then out of the blue "hard to start" The engine light seem to come on when ever it feels like. It does not seem the make the engine run any rougher than normal. It goes out after a few starts. Not sure what else to try

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Jun 082011

Liberty 3.2L V6

the check engine light comes on when the Jeep is idling and the air is on. But it only happens if it is really hot outside. Then a day or two later, it goes off by itself. I have gone to the auto store and they did the computer reading and it says O2 sensor. but again, it goes out by itself occasionally - they have reset it before, but it comes back on in a few days.

- , Fremont, OH, USA

Feb 012010

Liberty 3.7L V6

i hope all my problem with my three cars will be solve with your help & good suggestion to minimized my expenses. thank & god bless

- , Haskell, NJ, Philippines

Jun 182007

Liberty Sport 3.7L

Check engine light came on. Dealer replaced the evaporation hose. This was the fourth time experiencing trouble with this vehicle within four months.

Feb 242007

Liberty Sport 3.7L

This was the third time within 3 months we experienced trouble with the vehicle.

Dec 042006

Liberty Sport 3.7L

This was the beginning of a series of problems with this vehicle