1. replace engine (34 reports)
  3. repair engine parts (2 reports)
2002 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 092010

Liberty Limited 3.2L V6

I loved my Jeep Liberty until it died after 61,000 miles. I ALWAYS take meticulous care of my vehicles and have them maintained exactly as the manufacture tells me too. Now I am stuck with either a $6328.00 bill for a new engine or a piece of worthless junk. I was distressed to find out that others have had the same problem and find it interesting that it happens about the same mileage. The Jeep people have told me that they have no complaints about this but I don't believe it. That Jeep was the first non-Ford I ever bought and it will definitely be the last. From now on Ford gets all my business.

- , Camano Island, WA, USA

Feb 192010

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

My Jeep Liberty has always had the oil changed on a regular basis, and I don't use cheap gasoline, but the engine lost most of it's power, my gas mileage dropped to less than 10 mpg and it sounds like someone threw the silverware drawer into the engine compartment. I check my oil every other fillup and it has NEVER been low, but when the engine started making this horrific noise, I checked the oil and it was EMPTY. I took it to my mechanic and he said that the "engine was done for". I have a friend with a 2002 Liberty that had the same thing happen to his, and he IS a mechanic. The Liberty is now parked in my driveway and I'm driving a 1989 Dodge Ram pickup. I have 153,000 miles on my Liberty and it's probably only worth about $5K, so I really don't want to have to put that much money into replacing an engine that may have the same thing happen again.

- , Morrison, CO, USA

Jun 112009

Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L V6

Bought the vehicle used. Guess I should have done more research. It was covered under a limited warranty, but I still only had the vehicle for 14 days. The bad part is they don't know why it blew up. I can only hope that it doesn't happen again.

- , Pinellas Park, FL, USA