9.6

$3,957.00

1. replace engine (21 reports)
2002 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 092014

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

I returned from a individual augmented deployment last year with the Navy to East Africa at the beginning of September. On September 14, I decided to purchase a used car and spied a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Limited) at this dealership. I asked the clerk what type of shape this vehicle was in and he answered "...good shape," without elaborating. The dealer, M. Amine Khedar, declared the vehicle to be in good shape. I purchased the car and drove it without incident for a couple of weeks.

On my way back home to Northern Virginia on Oct. 6 near the end of Interstate 64 West, the engine light came on and my car began suffering engine failure in very heavy traffic. I panicked, not knowing what was happening and pulled off to the side of the road to figure out what was happening. Too far from Virginia Beach, I decided to press on, with plans to find a mechanic as soon as I could . When I reached the DC Metro area near Woodbridge, I pulled into a service station and a mechanic scanned the motor and told me [mechanic's language] that my vehicle was in need of some serious repair.

I took it to a Jeep dealership service department and was forced to rent a car for two weeks while the mechanics feverishly worked on the engine. When I explained to the mechanics that the dealer told me that this car is in great shape, they scoffed at that and said that the dealer sold me a bill of goods, that “this vehicle has not been properly maintained…”, which runs counter to what the salesman told me when I asked about the condition of this vehicle. I attempted to contact Mr. Khedar several times with telephone calls and e-mails, but was stonewalled each time. I wanted him to explain how his clerk could proclaim the car to be in "good" shape when I had to shell out an initial $2,100.16 for repairs, and more than $1,000 for a rental. I have had to replace three of the four tires, and the fourth tire will have to be replaced soon. Two weeks ago, the engine went up on me and the mechanic hinted that I may be out of pocket for an additional $3,000 for parts and labor. This means that I would have paid out more in repairs than the price of the car.

While Khedar did offer me a warranty for an additional $300, which I declined, his staff cannot claim the vehicle to be in good condition if more than $2,000 in repairs is required. I want him to reimburse me for these repairs and the cost of a rental that I had to have for a couple of weeks. Khedar and his staff lied to me about the condition of the vehicle and I want him to account for that lie. He has a saying that streams across his page that his is a family owned business that is committed to selling quality cars at affordable prices, and that customer satisfaction is their goal. Really? Because the “quality” car he sold me is a piece of junk, and he could care less about this customer’s satisfaction. My complaint to the Better Business Bureau is attached. The following is his contact information:

I believe, in all fairness, that this guy should at least pony up the cost of an engine to make things right with me for shaking me down like this. Anything less than trying to make this right is a moral failure on the dealer’s part. I have contacted the state Better Business Bureau, the state Consumer Affairs Division, the state Attorney General, the Navy Legal Service Office in Washington, D.C., and Naval Station Norfolk Public Affairs. I am committed to getting some results from this campaign to overturn a crooked bargain. I will find someone to assist me, because I have a relentless nature that refuses to give up. The dealer’s information is below:

M. Amine Khedar Automotive Sales Dealer Operator Beach Auto Sales 748 South Military Highway Virginia Beach, VA 23464 E-mail: www.beachauto748@gmail.com Web www.beachauto.net

- , Washington, DC, USA

May 012014

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

2002 jeep liberty, one day engine starts knocking really bad. no abuse, oil changed. design flaw and owners should be reimbursed for repairs. Jeep not worth the money to fix it and have another valve or rod break off.

- , Dacula, GA, USA

May 152014

Liberty Sport 3.7L

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO to all of the other complaints about this Jeep. Never again will I buy a Jeep and I've been a Jeep driver for 21 years! I would rather have my 1992 Jeep Cherokee right now than the 2002 Jeep Liberty.

When I bought it in 2002, I had it for 2 weeks, the dealer had it for 2 weeks. It was taking on water faster than an Ark in a rainy season. Although, they fixed it at the time, it now takes on water again. But that is the least of my problems. Stopped to get my daughter some sinus medicine the other day. Tried to start the Jeep to go home. I thought it was about to explode. Tow truck towed it to another city. Computer said Cam Shaft Sensor. They replaced that. Still wouldn't start. Next they said Timing Chain Kit. I ordered that. Before they put it on.....they said the motor was shot. Towed it to another mechanic. Why the first shop charged me for a time chain kit....that they did not put on...The second shop didn't know. (I can return that part.)

Second shop says the motor is shot. I trust this shop! Now they can't find a motor to replace the existing motor. I've looked online also and have feelers out there. I'm a single, hard working mother that needs her automobile. I can't believe that Jeep let me down like this. First, I will never by a Jeep again. Secondly, I will never buy a 3.7L or a 4.7L auto. For anyone looking to buy these, they are transition motors and hard to replace. Good Luck to us all!

- , Winchester, KY, USA

Nov 132013

Liberty ES 3.7L

I hate Jeep. On Wednesday at the busiest traffic light in Buffalo NY during the peak of rush hour I was on the side with the red light my engine went. I was over 90 miles from home and stuck in traffic with this piece of sh*t car. I sat at this light for about 2 hours waiting on the tow truck and cried the whole time. Nobody offered to help me push it instead they sat behind me in a very long line and honked there horns the whole time (really did these as*es think they had magic horns that would bring my engine back to life). Jeep left me stranded with no warning as I just had a tune up and oil change 2 days before hand and was told she was perfect. The CEO of this vehicle company needs to be fired as this seems to be a huge problem with the crap he lets us buy. Never again will I buy their product as I will buy a Huffy 10 speed bike (at least I know its reliable and I will get where I am going.

- , Sinclairville, NY, USA

Oct 112013

Liberty Sport V6

click to see larger images

engine failure

1. Check engine light and rough idle - no compression in #3 cylinder

2. Two weeks later, vehicle would not start - no noise, vibration, etc.

3. Boroscope at repair shop revealed major damage to cylinder wall and piston on #3 cylinder

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 102012

Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L V6

Have been a service mgr & mechanic shop owner for over 40 years. Never had any major problems with my vehicles all have been maintained above board. This car has been great untill all of a sudden rocker arms on one cyl fell off cam & jammed on valves, crashed & damaged piston as well as cyl wall. I still on 3 cars , but will never own another jeep. Since this has occurred we have found this to be a common problem.. I always use the best oil &service regularly.

- , Youngsville, LA, USA

Aug 142013

Liberty 3.7L

click to see larger images

engine failure engine failure engine failure

DO NOT EVER BUY A JEEP OF ANY SORT. THIS IS BULLSHIT. I WAS SO HAPPY TO MAKE 100,000 MILES I CELEBRATED. WELL IT WAS SHORT LIVED BECAUSE I DIDN'T MAKE 100,500.

I HAD JUST GOT FINISHED TAKING MY KIDS TO THE DOCTOR THE HOTTEST DAY OF THE WEEK AND THE JEEP DIDN'T START. WELL YOU PICKED A FINE TIME TO LEAVE ME LUCILLE, WITH 2 KIDS IN WHAT FELT LIKE A 100 DAMN DEGREE WEATHER AND A 45 MIN. HIKE HOME. AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF I AM A NIGHT STUDENT AT LINDENWOOD UNIVERSITY AND WITH A WEEK BEFORE CLASS AND PRACTICUMS BEGINNING TO FEEL LET DOWN. I WAS A JEEP LOYALIST BUT NOW * IT, I AM MOVING ON TO THOSE FOREIGN CARS THAT TAKE A LICKIN' AND KEEP ON TICKING, I MEAN WITHOUT A DAMN WARNING SHE JUST DIDN'T START. IT WASN'T THE BATTERY OR THE STARTER. IT HAD TO BE THE WORST OF THE DAMN WORST, THE ENGINE. IF I GOT TO SPEND BIG BUCKS IT AIN'T GOING BE FIXING THIS *ING JEEP.

I AM A DISAPPOINTED CONSUMER, JEEP/CHRYSLER OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES FOR PUTTING THIS IN THE HANDS OF PEOPLE. NOT ONLY ARE WE NOT RETURNING WE ARE NOT RECOMMENDING THIS TO ANY ONE. THE LADY UP THE STREET FROM ME HAD A JEEP TOO AND SHE HAD PROBLEMS AT 88,000 WITH THE ENGINE. JEEP IF YOU WANT TO STAY IN BUSINESS THEN BELIEVE WORD-OF-MOUTH CAN SHUT YOU DOWN. YOU SHOULD FIX EVERYONE'S CAR ON HERE COMPLAINING ABOUT YOUR CASKETS ON WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 012013

Liberty Sport 3.7lV6

this jeep is a friend's. i replaced timing chains, 2new heads. she drove for 20 miles maybe. temp control sensor failed so it overheated, replaced it. now it wont start. took to dealer and they cant say why. in this day and age, with money so tight for people you should be able to count on your car to get you to work. for as much as these over the top and pricey cars are they should last a life time. what happened to keep it simple stupid? i am a gear head i would rather work on 1950-1980 cars they are owner friendly. these computers are a pain in the ass. you call a dealer with aproblem they say bring it in. some peolpe cant afford 85 dollars an hour or more. this is the reason i repaired this jeep.

- , Corry, PA, USA

May 192013

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

I am very disappointed !! I threw a rod and my oil light never came on !! This truck was always losing oil but there was never any oil on the pavement !!! I had just put a quart of oil in it four days before it threw a rod !!! Chrysler needs to address this problem !!! I paid over Twenty Thousand for the vehicle !!!

- , Arlington, TX Texas, USA

Jan 152013

Liberty Limited 3.7L

I bought this 2002 Jeep Liberty used. It looked nice, in good shape and drove well. One day I stopped at the store, then when I cranked it up again it sounded awefull, and ran really rough. Found that it had no compression in #1 cylinder. Took it to a shop and they replaced a valve that had dropped and broke. Cost 1900 dollors to fix. about 25,000 miles later the exact same thing happened. If I had known about this site before I bought the jeep I would have seen that a lot of other people have had the same problem and would not have bouight it. I will not spend any more money on the engine, DONT BUY A JEEP LIBERTY!!!! I will never buy a chrysler product ever again. I had a Dodge Grand Voyager that had rebuild theTransmission every 15,000 miles or so after the 95,000 mile mark.

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Dec 102012

Liberty 3.7L

Car started acting up on the way home Monday night- could hardly keep it running to take it in on Tuesday. Mechanic told me the engine is gone- due to sludge. I have changed the oil every 3000>3500 miles every since I have had this jeep. I have had it for almost 7 years- it had about 50,000 miles on it when purchased. He also told me that the 3.7 lt engines have that problem. Why- I am mad- I liked my jeep and am not at a point in my life where I have the money to replace an engine or buy another car. If it is in fact a problem that this engine has- jeep should fix it!!

- , Frankfort, KY, USA

Dec 082012

Liberty Sport 3.7L, V6

My 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport, 3.7L, V6 with only 85,590 miles just threw a rod. It would have cost me over $3000 to replace the engine. Looking on line I see this is a common problem and I can't believe Jeep has done nothing to correct the problem. A well-maintained vehicle should last longer than this. Shame on Jeep for not owning up to the problem. I will not ever buy another Jeep product, nor will anyone I know if I can help it!

- , Nash, TX, USA

Sep 172012

Liberty Limited 3.7L

I did a carfax on this car, and did a little research on line.....It is a nice sporty little car, and I felt like I got a good deal on it. The engine died before the 1st payment was due. For no reason, riding down the road, and it just started running rough, didn't run hot, and didn't make any noise. It felt more like a vacuum leak problem, like it was not getting the correct gas and air mixture. Nope, Engine gone, and that's not the worst news.....Then the supply and demand kicks in.....High demand equals high prices....

- , Forsyth, GA, USA

Jul 032010

Liberty Limited 3.7L

Engine failure at 75k. Mechanic said valve(s) broken, not worth fixing. New rebuilt engine installed. Driven 20k on rebuild with not a problem. I will never buy a Chrysler (American) car again!

- , Portland, OR, USA

Sep 062012

Liberty V6

Was informed by my mechanic that a valve broke off and went into then engine. Not worth fixing, will cost mega dollars to repair.

- , Oakridge, NJ, USA

Aug 062012

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport...3.7L / V6 P.O.S. (as of yesterday!).. No warning, No symptoms, Nothing - Not even a change in the engine temp gauge that was strategically placed right in front of my face!! Long story short (as I'm at the end of my rope here) Engine "clicking", Loss of power (to the point of stalling in drive), Blue exhaust (yay burning oil), Crack in the plastic radiator (top right exposed corner), ZERO OIL (checked frequently as I'm pretty meticulous with the regular maintenance) assumed to have burned off, "sucking" noise coming from the left side of the engine when I engage the throttle coupler (must be the sucking of money from my wallet warning), check engine light (finally) blinking at me and random 4-chime's from under the dash when I performed the temp fix on the radiator and started it back up. Needless to say I (like most of you) will be looking for a new engine in my VERY near future.. She's lasted this long and the body and frame are good to go for another 170,000 miles or so.. If i can get a good deal, maybe i can buy a buddy of mine some (by some I mean a lot) of beer and make this the weekend project... If not, maybe I'll just push the damn thing off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge! I think life is knocking, something about finally buying a truck..

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 112012

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

This will be the 4th engine in this jeep liberty; the original engine, 2 engines replaced under the extended warranty from Carmax, and now another engine not under warranty, paid for by me. My best friend has a 2002 Jeep Liberty as well, I bought mine, because I thought hers was nice, and her engine failed on Saturday. This is ridiculous and no help from the manufacturer.There are many complaints on the web and the people selling the replacement engines know there's a problem. I'm sure Jeep knows and just refuses to do a recall. I'LL NEVER BY ANOTHER CHRYSLER, JEEP, DODGE PRODUCT EVER.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 302011

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

I bought this Liberty new in 2002. Absolutely loved it except for the gas mileage. Even the sh*tty gas mileage was ok given the other qualities of my Liberty, I babied it and cared for it for 9 years almost to the day I bought it. Then without warning the engine crapped out. No warning or symptoms until it was too late. The engine just blew at 94381 miles. WTF? Now the Jeep dealer wants $5K to replace the engine with an unwarranteed used engine, I asked the dealer about other problems and complaints and he was unaware of any!

Thanks Chrysler.

- , Mustang, OK, USA

Apr 042011

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

I keep great care of all my cars, and I always get atleast 10 to 12 years out of them before the exterior starts looking pretty beat up, and out dated enough to trade them in.

I loved driving my 2002 Jeep Liberty so much I'm totally heart broken by the fact that Jeep/Chysler put subpar parts in it. The entire internet is complaining about these problems around 80,000 miles. I've posted the other problems already, and now on to the blown headgasket.

I want to fix this car so bad, but I just don't trust the Jeep parts anymore. My father-in-law retired from Chrysler which entitles us to buy their cars "at cost" (what the dealerships pay), but now I don't even want to touch a Chrysler made vehicle discount or not. When I tell my father in law it's going to be like spitting in his face, and on his life's work. What a drag.

*quick side note: My bio-father bought a 300M the same year I got my Jeep, and it's plagued with faulty door locks, cheap dry rotting interior materials, and at 30K he had to replace the A/C compressor. WTF Chrysler? This old man literally drove the thing 2 miles to work, and back everyday. Why the hell does it look so beat up that I'm even embarassed to sit in it. The most action that car ever saw was maybe a fart! Geez...

I've talked to the dealership for a headgasket estimate, and I get a weird feeling when talking to them like they know something I don't, and they're ready to milk me dry. They're even a little cocky about it. They're estimating between 4k-15k depending on if the block is cracked, but won't know until they take it apart. Once they crack this puppy open I'm locked in for atleast 4k. It's not like I can put the old gasket back in.

I've also been looking around town for engine shops, and found that Jeep Liberty's are a major portion of their customer base. So much so there is not a single 3.7 Jeep engine on the entire island of Oahu. For Mom and Pop shops, these people are way too familiar with the problem. I got a really good, sharp, and fair priced shop willing to rebuild the entire engine with all new parts for about 4-5k. I'm tempted, but what other surprises does Chrysler have in store for me?

I've even seen other sights posting that even after fixing the headgasket there are issues with the radiators being made out of plastic, constantly replacing rear window regulators, engine coils, faulty gauges, and honestly the transmission has always been a little clunky.

If you asked me 2 years ago what I think about my Jeep and the Chysler company I'd say, "I'd buy another in a heartbeat". But that is before the vehicle got a chance to withstand the test of time. So yeah if you only think a car is supposed to last 6 years get a Jeep/Dodge, otherwise Ford (for the patriotic) and Toyota are the way to go.

Man I'm so pissed. I was all geared up to buy the new 2011 Grand Cherokee next year too, and I'm still riding a rollercoaster on whether or not to dish out the big bucks to rebuild this jeep engine on a vehicle that has barely been broken in. I mean the thing is "Trail Tested", and looks like it's got another 10 years in the body and chassis, but what good is that if thing won't drive.

I'm scared to hang on to this vehicle and find out what's going to fail next. I mean everytime I go outside and look in the driveway I just can't bring myself to admit I'm staring at basically a worthless vehicle, which I could never in good conscience sell to another hard working American.

Oh BTW did anyone see that brand new Dodge Durango's (a Chrysler Flag Ship) engine catch on fire during a parade? Priceless. Burn in hell Chrysler!!!

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Oct 152010

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

I brought My 02 Jeep Liberty INSTEAD of the 02 Ford Explorer from carmax with 33000 miles on it. I Wish now that I had got the explorer! It was really a great ride Until the day I was out on the Highway & for no apparent reason the Motor let go! First thing I checked was the oil (it was empty) that was strange since I used an oil service to get my oil changed every 3000 miles! Since I'm not wealthy nor did I have the money for a $5000 Jasper engine replacement. I had to go the backwoods way & purchase a junkyard motor with 65000 miles on it for 2000$ then pay a buddy 1300 to install it...! Needless to say it's been running great ever since..!

- , Gaithersburg, MD, USA