6.0

2002 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jan 012005

Liberty Sport

I bought my 2002 Liberty with the fuel pump problem (unknowingly) and have since replaced the fuel pump. Still the problem persists. If you let it sit more than 5 or 10 minutes, it will not just start up. You have to turn the key in the ignition (without starting it) several times before it will start and even then there is no guarantee it will start. If you let the Jeep sit for two days, it starts right up. No rhyme or reason to the starting up so I've had to press the gas pedal to get it to start on several occasions. And that was AFTER turning the key in the ignition as I have been told to do by several mechanics.

I have been told that Jeep was aware of the fuel pump issue, but no recall was ever issued. When I replaced the fuel pump, the mechanic told me he had had several Jeep owners report the same problem.

- , Bailey, NC, USA