2002 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 11 of 23)

Feb 062015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I received two recall notices from Jeep in the fall of 2014 for the defective design for the gas tank location on my Jeep Liberty. I spoke to the local dealer last fall after getting the second notice. I knew it was a waste of time to contact them after only the first mailed notification, since I knew there wouldn't be parts available. I spoke to the dealer on a visit in the fall after the second mailed notification and the local dealer told me the parts would not be available for quite some time. I left them my name and asked them to contact me if the parts were availabel. In January of 2015, I contacted the local dealer again and they chuckled and told me the parts were not available but they could put me on the growing list they kept at the dealership. So I had not even made it onto the local dealer waiting list yet! to make matters worse, I got a call a week later from a Chrysler warranty customer center. I called back after the second call and told them that the dealer had laughed at me just two weeks before when I had asked if the parts were available. In addition to the defective gas tank location, my Jeep also has the air bags that can inadvertently inflate (supposedly with a few seconds of warning if you happen to be looking at the dashboard and notice a warning light). I got that recall fixed (a very low cost jumper) last fall. I understand that now my Jeep may also have a defective TRW airbag inflator. I suspect this was the issue all along but Chrysler took the cheapest possible route (a jumper). Lastly, I have submitted a formal complaint on the NHTSA web site concerning my headlights going off by themselves while driving at night. They have done this multiple times and normally come back on within 5 seconds. There are many other complaints for this issue on the NHTSA site and yet there has been no recall for this without warning issue.

- Seymour, IN, USA

Feb 052014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag warning light would illuminate when the vehicle was turned on and would dim when the vehicle was turned off. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Jan 022015

Liberty

The contact owned a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle was involved in a crash and the air bags did not deploy. Prior to the crash, the vehicle was inspected for an unknown recall regarding the air bags. The contact was unable to provide the full details of the NHTSA campaign number. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed and medical attention was required for four injured occupants. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Cadillac, MI, USA

Dec 162014

Liberty 6-cyl

Air bag light has been repeatedly turning on and off. There's also a burning smell when it comes on.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Dec 132014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I took my Jeep in to have recall fixed and they messed up my 4 wheel drive and told me that I have to pay to get it fixed I dont know why they messed with it because all they were suppose to do was put a hitch on the back of my Jeep and rewire my air bag I have them go back and fix my 4 wheel drive linkage it was not messed up when I took it in for them to just do my recall.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Dec 082014

Liberty

The vehicle has been exhibiting issues with the ignition switch similar to others such as the GM Chevrolet cobalt and Saturn ion. When the ignition switch is rotated to the start/crank position and the vehicle starts and the key is released it sometimes does not fully return to the on/run position from the start crank position. Although the engine is running and the vehicle can be driven some electrical function are offline due to the ignition switches failure to really return to the on/run position. The situation is not usually noticed until the vehicle is in motion and one the effected systems is used (turn signal, HVAC, radio) systems that are effected and not receiving power are turn signals, radio, airbag, HVAC. The switch can be moved into the on/run position and these systems then come on-line. This is a dangerous situation and may result in an accident (signal lamps not working, HVAC defogger not working) or possible airbag non-deployment in a crash (possible injury or fatality). This issue has occurred at least 3 times in the last two weeks. The vehicle in question is in immaculate condition and well maintained by an ase certified master auto technician> the vehicle has no significant accident or damage history.

- Le Roy, IL, USA

Aug 152014

Liberty 4-cyl

Module-occupant restraint part ordered by dealership on August 15, 2014. After 12 weeks of part on back order. Received phone call from Chrysler that part not available from manufacture and will have to order from another manufacture however it is more than double the price. Original price for part was $222 and had to be paid for before ordered. New price is $499 and also will not order without being paid. Should not have to pay additional fees when have already waiting 4 months and is a safety issue. If part on back order then it should be on recall from Chrysler and not owners responsibility.

- Millville, NJ, USA

Nov 122014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) and NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags). The parts needed were not available for over a year. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would become available to service the vehicle under the recall. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Nov 082014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Air bag light on constant even though there has been no accident.

- East Meadow, NY, USA

Feb 032014

Liberty

TL-the contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag light remained illuminated. The contact referenced recall NHTSA campaign number: 01V373000 (air bags). The vehicle was taken to dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was. 199,000. Pam

- Roswell, GA, USA

Oct 272014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 45 mph, the air bags deployed and the air bag warning light illuminated. The driver sustained a wrist injury that did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Oct 142014

Liberty

I own a 2002 Jeep Liberty which had the M35 recall. "airbag deployment". I had the recall patch done. I have read that the recall patch doesn't fix the deployment issue and that the NHTSA is tracking the issues that are still happening after the recall repair. On 10-14-2014 this happened to my Liberty. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Newcastle, OK, USA

Sep 182014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

We had the M35 recall done at South point Chrysler Jeep Dodge in tulsa ok on approximately August 2, 2014. On September 18, 2014 my daughter was involved in a highway intersection accident where her car sustained front end damage so bad it was totaled. She was driving approximately 10mph and the other car was going 65mph. None of the airbags deployed when the collision happened. The other cars airbags deployed. That car was totaled also. I have several pictures of my daughters car immediately after the collision. The police, fire department and Oklahoma highway patrol all were surprised her airbags did not deploy. Subsequently she has sustained a concussion and is having to have several mris and ct scans due to the car accident. I would like to know why her airbags did not deploy at impact. I thought this recall was suppose to take car of airbags from deploying inadvertently but didn't think it would cause them to not function at all...updated 07-08-15

- Bixby, OK, USA

Jul 252013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notifications for recall NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V527000 (air bags) and NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). However, the parts needed were unavailable to service the vehicle under the recall. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the parts to become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure. Pam

- Chelan, WA, USA

Sep 302014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

While driving on a highway both my front air bags, driver and passenger side, deployed. I had a recall for my air bags and went to a dealership to get it repaired about a month ago. Then this happens. I've contacted the dealership and they are stating there is nothing they can do. I am extremely disappointed in Jeep and currently have no car due to the lack of care of Chrysler.

- Long Branch, NJ, USA

Sep 012014

Liberty

The contact owns 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags) however, the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The contact also stated that during rain weather, the vehicle hydroplaned when depressing the brake pedal slightly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Everston , IL, USA

Oct 252013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair under the recall. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Sep 252014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags) and NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Wellington, KS, USA

Apr 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags). However, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Rocky Point, NY, USA

Nov 122013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure, air bags). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Calhoun, GA, USA