2002 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 18 of 23)

Apr 182013

Liberty 6-cyl

There is an open recall regarding the airbags inadvertently deploying and since I purchased my vehicle I have been in contact with Chrysler Jeep numerous times trying to fix the issue with the recall and they haven't been able to give any dates as to when the parts would be available for the issue to be fixed. There was a recall open about the airbags since November 2012. On the company's website they mentioned the parts would be available in April 2013, it is now almost July and my safety along with my family is a risk. This is unacceptable.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 022013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated while approximately 40 mph, the horn independently sounded with the illumination of the entire instrument panel. In addition, when the vehicle was in operation the headlights would remain illuminated continuously even though the control mechanism was deactivated. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 12V527000 (air bags), however the part remained unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the problem and they informed that the defects were related to the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 153,000. Updated 07/30/13

- Warren, MI, USA

Jan 152013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received recall notice NHTSA campaign id 12V527000 (air bags). The contact stated that the recall repair was not made because the parts were not available. The manufacturer was notified; however, they were unable to provide an estimated time that the parts would be available. The VIN was not available. The current mileage was 160,000. Updated 06/28/13 the consumer stated the dealer and manufacturer advised there was an issue preventing the procuring of parts necessary to repair the vehicle. Updated 07/02/2013

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Jun 152013

Liberty

I own a 2002 Jeep Liberty and had never heard of a recall on the engine! I did get a notice for the air bag issues months ago and have contacted the local dealer who maintains that the parts aren't available. Didn't some other autos have the same problem" have they been fixed? I don't want to have a wreck and the air bags not deploy and then I become a crispy critter. Nor do I want the air bags to deploy when I'm driving down the interstate doing between 60 - 70 miles per hour. Again, possible crash with burning to death. Someone somewhere needs to get Chrysler to work. Do they need a financial handout" guess I'm gonna have to trade this clunker in and get something other than a Jeep. Too bad cause I love my Jeep.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 062013

Liberty

I wrecked my car and hit a cement wall at approx. 35 mph head on and none of the airbags deployed. The radiator was pushed back into the engine along with the tire being pushed out sideways.

- Westerville , OH, USA

Apr 102013

Liberty 6-cyl

I own a 2002 Jeep Liberty ltd edition and there are numerous reports on the internet that there are issues with the #2 cylinder valve coming off which in turn beat the #2 piston. I drove my Jeep home from work and parked in the garage. About an hour later I started the Jeep to leave and low and behold the #2 cylinder blew and created major damage to the piston. There have also been reports of a sludge issue on the 3.7L engines. I have never received a recall notice but after speaking with a man that worked for Dodge he confirmed that they did a silent recall on these issues for the 3.7L engine. I spoke with Chrysler and they laughed at my issue saying it was considered wear and tear since my miles are at 138,000. I don't think this issue is very funny and it could have caused me to crash if I would have been driving when the cylinder blew. I have recently had to pay over $3000 to get my repairs done and Chrysler refuses to help with the issue. Had I of known about the engine issues and all of the recalls on my vehicle I would have never bought the Jeep. I am only asking for Chrysler to help with at least half of the repair bill if not all of it. This is a defect and if the engine was correct it would have never blown. This issue has caused me 6 weeks of trying to find a ride back and forth to work as well as two absent days at work. This was a manufacturers defect and they should be held responsible. I also received a recall notice on the air bag and have yet been able to get my Jeep in for that recall as the dealership has stated that they do not have the parts yet.

- Gladstone, MO, USA

Jan 072013

Liberty 6-cyl

I have experienced a warning light staying on for the air bag system. I took the car to the dealer for this problem a couple of years ago and spent between $300-400 for a repair. In January there was a safety recall by Jeep for a problem with the airbag deploying unexpectedly while driving. This is a serious safety concern and my wife and I fear driving the car. I contacted the dealer to schedule the recall corrective action immediately and was told the part to perform the repair was not yet available. I called again in March and was told I would be contacted when the part was available. I called this week, June 6, and was told by the local Jeep dealer that they had called Chrysler that morning and were told it was indefinite when the part would be available. My wife and I have been limiting our driving for over six months waiting for this recall corrective action. That is unacceptable. People's lives are being put at risk. Please take action against Jeep/Chrysler to require them to immediately provide corrective action.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Dec 152012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for repairs under NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags), but the parts were not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 170,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jun 062013

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received NHTSA recall campaign number: 12V527 (air bags); however, the manufacturer stated the parts were not available. The current mileage was 75,000. Rvk

- Springfiield, NJ, USA

May 022013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that there was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 12V527000 (air bags) and the part needed to complete the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the remedy part would be available in approximately two months. The contact had not experienced failure related to the recall defect. Updated 7/8/13

- Burnsville , MN, USA

Feb 062013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that after receiving notification of NHTSA campaign I.D. number 12V527000 (air bag) the contact called the dealer to schedule an appointment. The dealer stated that they did not have any parts available to remedy the vehicle. Four months later, the manufacturer still did not have the parts available to remedy the recall defect. The contact called the manufacturer and the manufacturer advised that they were working on part availability. The contact had not experienced a failure. The current mileage was 139,000.

- Popular Grove, IL, USA

Feb 012013

Liberty 6-cyl

We received a recall notice (notification code M35) some months back concerning inadvertent deployment of front airbags. I called the dealership to get it repaired and they said they didn't have the parts. I called the Chrysler group recall assistance center and they basically said the parts weren't available, so here we are months later with no resolution. And now I hear about the gas tank and Chrysler not responding to request for recall. So I am stuck with this car that has multiple problems.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Jan 152013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags) and the manufacturer was contacted. The manufacturer stated that the parts for the repair were not available. The contact had not experienced a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jan 072013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 12V527000 (air bags) and stated that the part had not been available for the repair for several months. The manufacturer was notified and they were unable to provide an expected date for the remedy part. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Jan 232013

Liberty

Recall M35/12V-527 air bag system occupant restraint control module.

- Centerville, OH, USA

Sep 302011

Liberty

Air bag light keeps blinking off and on, afraid it may deploy while driving. After 2 calls to Chrysler since January still no parts to correct this issue.

- Leicester, MA, USA

Aug 172011

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that after starting the ignition, the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where a temporary repair was performed. The contact was unsure of the exact repairs. The failure recurred ten days after the repair. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 12V527000 (air bags). The VIN was included, however the remedy part was not available. The manufacturer was notified and they were unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000. Updated 06/18/13

- South Dennis, MA, USA

Jun 022013

Liberty 6-cyl

Continue waiting for months for information on safety recall M35/NHTSA 12V-527 concerning air bags in Jeep Liberty.

- Wartrace, TN, USA

May 302013

Liberty 6-cyl

Notice of M35 recall received via post card on 3/5/13 from our local dealership. I have called the dealership three times and Chrysler company customer service two times to see if the part is finally in to fix the airbag circuit so it will deploy properly. No one has an expected date of repair. The most recent calls were made today since our airbag light is now starting to come on periodically. I am afraid to drive the vehicle in light of this new development. Hasn't enough time passed for the part to be manufactured since the recall actually came out in January? help!

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 012013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number 12V527000 (air bags) January 2013. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised that the part needed for recall service was not available and could not provide an estimated expectancy time of when the part would become available. The contact stated that the recall service had exceeded a reasonable time. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Old Bridge , NJ, USA