NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2002 Jeep Liberty (Page 22 of 24)

2002 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 22 of 24)

Apr 242012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The air bag light on the vehicle began to illuminate intermittently. Checked internet for possible causes, and saw NHTSA investigation is underway due to random air bag deployments on 2002-2003 Jeep Liberty due to possible defective electronic component. Intermittent air bag light is associated with random air bag deployment in some cases. Intermittent air bag light appears to be associated with heat, as light has illuminated only after warm up on warm (above 70) days, and does not illuminate if it is cool (60 or below) or if it rains. Contacted Chrysler corporate, they suggested I contact dealership. Dealerships wants $100 just to attempt diagnosis of issue, and neither Jeep corporate nor two different dealerships take responsibility for product. One dealership very vocal about being concerned with getting paid diagnosis fee, either by me or by Chrysler corporate if recall initiated. Vehicle has been very trouble-prone, with several recalls to date, along with thousands of dollars of owner paid-for repairs in addition to recalls, with both repairs and recalls well above average. I would be willing to have vehicle inspected/investigated by NHTSA.

- Farmington, NM, USA

May 062012

Liberty 6-cyl

Had just come to a stop at a stop sign and the driver and passenger front air bags deployed. Driver received extensive bruises and cuts on stomach both hands and arms as well as burns on face and arms. Added 1 injury.pco.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Apr 022012

Liberty

Within the last month upon starting my Jeep & sometimes while driving it, the airbag light comes on. The airbag has not deployed, but the light comes on periodically. There has been an investigation into the airbags on Jeep liberties, but no recall as of yet, so my only option is to pay to have it diagnosed & repaired. If the bag deploys it surely would cause injury or even wrecks if it's unexpected!

- St Joseph, MO, USA

Jun 012008

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty sport. The contact stated that a vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle while the contact was sitting at a traffic stop. The front driver's side air bag failed to deploy. The contact sustained injures to the hip, face and neck. The manufacturer took a complaint on behalf of the contact. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Acworth , GA, USA

Mar 222012

Liberty 6-cyl

While driving on the highway my air bag exploded and my seat belt locked up. I was able to avoid an accident and get out of the heavy traffic, but I experienced burns and contusions on my arms and chest when the bag deployed. Being 3 months pregnant I'm thankful my injuries were not worse. I went to the hospital for piece of mind but now I'm stressed about the pending bills and fear driving my car. Added VIN.pco.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Dec 042001

Liberty

The airbag light on the console is on and I am unable to clear the code. Please note that I haven't hit anything while driving to cause the light error to be activated. I am reporting this due to the prior reports of air bags being triggered and exploding in 2002 Jeep Liberty without provocation. I am advocating an air bag product recall for the 2002 Jeep Liberty.

- Wyandanch, NY, USA

Mar 012011

Liberty 6-cyl

The air bag warning light in our 2002 Jeep Liberty comes on intermittently for no apparent reason. We have experienced recurring incidents of this problem since early 2011. We have been unable to correlate any particular conditions or situations that may trigger these air bag warning light events. We have had an auto maintenance facility look for any diagnostic alarms or alerts via diagnostic computer evaluation and their feedback was that there is no apparent or obvious reason for the air bag light to turn on. Our concern with this situation is that it may be an indication of a potential airbag defect such as the one currently under investigation by the NHTSA related to random deployment of the airbags in 2002 Jeep Liberty vehicles. We are the original owners of this vehicle. Thank you.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jan 212012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact was driving 30 mph when the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer confirmed the passenger side front air bag needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 90,000.....updated 04/09/12. The control module was replaced. Updated 06/05/12

- Hampton, VA, USA

Feb 012012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact noticed that the air bag warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The warning indicator remained illumined until the engine was turned off. The failure occurred three times. The vehicle had not been diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 155,900.

- Marysville, MI, USA

Nov 302011

Liberty 6-cyl

Air bag light is coming on randomly. No pattern of any kind.

- Sugar Hill, GA, USA

Apr 012011

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 2 mph over a speed bump, the driver's side air bag deployed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and decided to send an engineer to inspect the vehicle. The engineer concluded that the failure was not a manufacturer's defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 100,698.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jan 122011

Liberty

Both driver and passenger air bags deployed while at a stop light. The air bag caution light had been on for several weeks, but the dealer said it was only a fault of the monitor and was nothing to worry about. Once the air bags deployed, Jeep refused to pay for the repair or reimburse for repairs, saying that this had not ever happened before, therefore, the driver must have hit something.

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Oct 132010

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact was driving 40 mph when he crashed into a light pole and the air bags did not deploy. The contact was injured and the steering wheel was bent from the force of the impact. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 64,000.

- Toledo , OH, USA

Dec 272011

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph and a chime sounded inside of the vehicle. Suddenly the front driver's side air bag deployed. The unintended malfunction occurred without any impact. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was waiting for a response from the manufacturer pertaining to the repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. Veh is currently at North point Jeep in winston salem, nc for repair. Raining on event date, but no prior water/leakage issue. No prior abl issue. No off-road/off highway usage. Pco

- Winston Salem , NC, USA

Nov 032011

Liberty 6-cyl

August 08, bought my 02 Liberty. Took about 1.5 years to drive it because of an accident - that's why I bought the Liberty. About 1 year later the idle air control valve went out, had to replace it. There's been other, minor things, like when accelerating, feels like someone bumped into me. Sometimes are worse than others. Often feel a "vibration." Within months of being 1 year of replacing the iav, began to get extremely bad gas mileage - about 187M to a tank. Not sure why. Replaced the spark plugs, did a lof, inspection, etc.. almost exactly 1 year from replacing the iav, check engine light came on. Was on for 1-1.5 days. I decided not use it until I could get it to the mechanic. Next morning, was going to the store & the light was off! but when I pulled into a parking space, it died. This sort of things happened before, db cluster being "faulty." Other things [vacuum seal leak, etc] never prompted the lights on. Had to replace the iav again & it ran fine. Recently, been getting that "kicking" feeling & like my car is running "rough". today, I noticed the airbag light was stuck on. Checked the manual, it said to have the airbag system checked. I was nervous about driving - had an odd feeling the airbag would deploy - moved my seat back just in case. Since the accident, I get anxiety over these things. Luckily, no deployment. Got it home, turned it off, waited, turned it on, waited a few seconds and the light turned off this time. Went straight to my computer only to find these recalls and investigations - one being the steering - last week had a nerve-wracking experience, my car began to swerve turning left onto the freeway, it was raining, so, I slowly merged. Wasn't until it straightened out that it began to swerve, almost like losing control, didn't feel like a "slip." But I just assumed it was. Also, the seat belts don't seem to stay click in at times.

- Tenino, WA, USA

Aug 022010

Liberty 6-cyl

After seeing multiple stories regarding the airbags in Jeep liberties randomly going off, I noticed that most of the incidents occurred after the owners mentioned seeing the airbag light on dashboard going on off periodically. Although the airbags in our Jeep Liberty have not gone off unexpectedly, we have been experiencing the airbag warning light going on and off for at least a year. When brought into dealership they could not explain why light was going on and off. I am concerned about driving this Jeep Liberty with the potential that it could go off. I figured notifying the safety commission was the best thing to do.

- Oxford, PA, USA

Aug 222011

Liberty

Air bags didnt work, rear tire driver side blew question steering?

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 022010

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The seat belt buckle on my 2002 Jeep Liberty started getting stuck in the unlatch position about three months ago which means I have to dig it out in order to belt myself in, and it doesn't always work. Due to my unemployment, we tried taking a belt from the back seat and using it in front but now my air bag light won't go off. This seems very unsafe to me.

- Albany, OR, USA

May 172009

Liberty

Driving South on rt 3 on the rockland/norwell lin in MA. A deer ran across the highway - we hit it head on and rolled the 2002 Jeep Liberty sport. The air bags did not deploy - major injuries.

- Marshfield, MA, USA