2002 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 23)

Nov 132014

Liberty

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. A week after the vehicle was repaired for an air bag recall, the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the vehicle would need to be re-diagnosed to determine the cause of the failure. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags) and was to check with the manufacturer concerning the dealer's recall repair and the recall notice. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Nov 122016

Liberty

Tamara recall: Don jackson continues to give me the rub around with replacing the airbag. When first contacted last year, I was told I was on a list. Numerous follow ups resulted in being told the part was not in, no longer available and eventually I'm no longer on the list because a list, in fact, did not exist. I finally was able to secure a N appointment where I was told they had to order the part. Three weeks later they are still waiting for the part and I need to call back in a few days to see if it came in. I'm wondering if don jackson is waiting for me to purchase another car or die in this one. At the end of the day I'm still waiting to get my airbags fixed..

- Union City, GA, USA

Jan 212015

Liberty

The contact owned a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While driving and making a left turn, another vehicle crashed into the front passenger side of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. There were minor injuries that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a tow lot and deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Nov 042016

Liberty

I made an appointment two weeks ago to have my vehicle repaired for two recalls at mick's Chrysler Jeep. I dropped my Jeep off this morning for the appointment. I just got off the phone with the service department not even an hour later. They do not have the parts to repair my vehicle. I asked how that was possible since I made the appointment two weeks ago. The guy did not have an answer. So now I have to pick up vehicle, still needing repairs due to 2 recalls (lower ball joints and the airbag orc).

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 312016

Liberty

Problem is intermittent. When I start vehicle airbag warning comes on along with warning chime. If I turn vehicle off and immediately restart it light does not come on.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Oct 252016

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Chino, CA, USA

Sep 242016

Liberty

While driving down the road my passenger side airbag deployed, followed about 10 seconds later by my drivers side airbag. I was travelling about 35 mph on a city street at a steady speed and hit no bumps. I was able to pull my vehicle over to the side of the road. I contacted Jeep to get them to repair my vehicle and they started a case (#30180485) on Sept 24, 2016. I did not hear from Jeep again until 10/24/2016 when we received a letter informing us that this was not their responsibility. Since the recall R06 states that the airbag could deploy if not fixed, and I took it to a Chrysler service center to have this recall done and was told they did not have a fix for this recall but would contact me when one became available. I was never contacted again by Jeep letting me know the repair was available. I do not understand why they refuse to fix the vehicle. I am not looking for this as a warranty repair, but it should be their responsibility based on the failure to fix the recall when I took it to them. Also, since the airbags deployed it did damage to the dash and steering wheel of the Jeep which will need repairs also. I don't understand why I should be responsible for this expense, and why Jeep is failing to handle this.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Oct 022016

Liberty

On a drive home from my mother's house, I had come to a complete stop waiting to make a left turn on a residential road when I heard a clicking sound. Then my seat belt tightened on its own and immediately after that the driver's side air bag deployed. Fortunately I was uninjured with the exception of a slight burn on my forearm.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Feb 162015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Glencoe, AL, USA

Feb 012015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags) was received in February of 2015. After contacting the dealer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed for the recall remedy were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be provided. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- New Milford, CT, USA

Mar 272009

Liberty

The contact owned a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle rolled over while attempting to make a turn. The seat belt pretensioner failed to tighten and the air bags deployed, but did not inflate completely. The vehicle was towed to a salvage yard and deemed destroyed. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified. There was one fatality. The driver suffered from broken ribs and facial deformation. Medical attention was received. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags). The failure mileage was not provided.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 242016

Liberty

I was driving down the road when my passenger side airbag went off. Approximately 10 seconds later my driver side airbag also went off. I was driving about 35 miles an hour down a city street, going straight, and there were no bumps in the road. I was able to pull over into a parking lot and shut the vehicle off. I had previously taken my vehicle in to the Chrysler dealership in lakeland Florida where I lived until recently attempting to have the recall fixed and was told they did not have parts and couldn't get them. They said they would call me if they became available. They never called and now I had the airbags deploy while driving.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Nov 022014

Liberty

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for a manufacturer recall concerning the air bags; however, the remedy did not prevent a failure. The air bag warning indicator remained illuminated. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 282015

Liberty

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 06V288000 (suspension) and 15V046000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issues. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Meansville, GA, USA

Aug 052016

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that after the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags) and while driving at 25 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Providence, RI, USA

May 182015

Liberty

Front passenger side wheel is making a very loud noise everytime I turn the wheel, brought it to 3 different mechanic could not figure it out, my engine light was on because of the fuel tank as well as air bag sign.. called the Chrysler dealer they gave me a 2 months waiting period...

- Providence, RI, USA

Feb 242016

Liberty

I am looking for your answer for the complaint number 10840141. On February 24, 2016, my car went to the dealer for fix the airbag by the recall. Which is free but after the repair, the dealer said that I have to pay $199. Then have more problem that no horn, the airbag light always on...

- Flushing, NY, USA

Jan 182016

Liberty

The contact owned a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While driving 35 mph, the contact suffered a seizure and crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags). A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the face, eyes, and a fractured wrist, which required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000....updated 11/01/16

- Vauxhall, NJ, USA

May 292014

Liberty 6-cyl

I have been getting these recall for two years and every time I go to the Dodge dealer (helms motors in lexington Tennessee 38351) they say the same thing "no parts, call you when we get them". what am I to do with the recalls? I have six on this Jeep and none have been fixed. I thank you for any help you can give me on the problem.

- Reagan, TN, USA

Feb 162014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags); however, the part for the recall repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Warren, MI, USA