2002 Jeep Liberty suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 012004

Liberty 6-cyl

3rd time work on a ball joints recall job that cause damage to brakes, tie rods, rack N pinion, rotors and most of the suspension system.

- Detriot, MI, USA

Sep 302012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the passenger side wheel detached from the axle. The contact did not crash or loose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic for a diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the lower ball joint was defective and caused the front passenger side tire to disconnect from the vehicle. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign I.D. 09V119000 (suspension:front:control arm) and had the vehicle towed to the dealer. The dealer advised the contact that the vehicle was included in the recall and replaced the lower ball joints of the front suspension. The contact stated that he never received notification of the recall. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Sep 242012

Liberty 6-cyl

Just purchased vehicle, told by local dealer in early July that there was a recall on lower ball joints, with a national back order on parts, after completing repair 9/24, they stated it needs new steering knuckles at $1094. On Tuesday 9/25 said it was ready to pick up, I asked if they solved the "air bag" light being on, they said it would be a few more days. They called this morning (9/28) and said they can not give me the vehicle back because the ball joints are now falling out. I asked "since I drove it in, why after you recall repair is it not drive able? they said safety reasons. So now I have a Jeep being held hostage, with still no answer for the "air bag" light to be on. Something is wrong with these models.

- Dolan Springs, AZ, USA

Apr 012010

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 03V460000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint) and took the vehicle to the dealer where the lower ball joint was replaced. The contact stated that the lower ball joint fractured and had to be replaced two times after the initial recall repair was performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure however, no assistance was provided because the recall repair had already been performed. The current mileage was 131,000. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 082012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle started to shake. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for an alignment, who notified him that the upper ball joint needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 06V288000 (suspension: Front: Control arm: Lower ball joint). The current and failure mileage was 142,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 152012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 30 mph on an exit ramp, the front passenger's side wheel detached from the vehicle. The engine was turned off and the vehicle was towed to an independent auto shop where the front passenger's side lower ball joint was replaced. Two months later, the front driver's side lower ball joint fractured which caused the wheel to detach which was repaired by the contact. The vehicle was also previously repaired in 2007 under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 06V288000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint). The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Sand Springs, OK, USA

Jul 242012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 06V288000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint). The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph the vehicle started to make a popping sound and the steering wheel began to swerve to the left. In addition, the vehicle dropped to the ground. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who stated that the lower ball joint fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 141,000. Updated 10/10/12 updated 10/15/2012

- Crystal, MN, USA

Mar 052012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that after receiving notification of NHTSA campaign I.D. 03V460000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint) the contact called a local dealer to have the vehicle serviced. The dealer advised the contact that he parts needed for the recall were not available and could not advise the contact of when the part would become available. The contact called the manufacturer regarding parts for the recall and the manufacturer advised that the parts were not yet available. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Lamesa, CA, USA

Sep 012011

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that there was a clunking noise heard when driving over road bumps. In addition, the vehicle would sway back and forth abnormally. The failure occurred when driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the upper ball joints needed to be replaced. The contact was also informed that due to the upper ball joint failure, the lower ball joints were also being damaged. In addition, the tie rods were worn. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 03V460000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 09V119000 (suspension:front:control arm). The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Lewisville, NC, USA

Dec 232011

Liberty 6-cyl

Left front tire fell to the side. Ball joint was broken. Steering was impossible. Vehicle contained male and female parents and two young children. They were on a busy freeway in northern ca. When auto repair people looked at it they found no grease in the joint and the ball had rust all over the top. This is a sealed joint that could not be greased. It looked as though is was not properly greased during original installation.

- Jerome, ID, USA

Dec 022011

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while having a routine wheel alignment, the mechanic advised him the front driver and passenger side lower control arms were worn. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 06V288000 ( suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint) but was advised by the manufacturer that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Millington, MD, USA

Nov 052011

Liberty

The contact owns 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that both upper control arms on the front driver and passenger sides fractured at very low speeds. The contact ordered the parts needed for repairs and replaced both upper control arms. The contact did not take the vehicle to the dealer. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 09V119000 (suspension:front:control arm) but was advised by the manufacturer that the vehicle was not included in the recall due to the VIN. The contact stated that the upper control arm failed due to a ball joint failure. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Eden, UT, USA

Oct 102011

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Chrysler has issued a recall for the 2002 Jeep Liberty regarding the upper control arm failure. This failure is due to failure of the ball joint seal allowing contaminants to eventually cause the ball joint to fail. The recall notice #J17 recall id# 09V119000 only includes vehicles subject to corrosion from road salts in the northeast. I own a 2002 Jeep Liberty and have noticed that both the joints on the upper ball joint of the control arm have failed (split) and as result have allowed contaminants to enter the ball joint resulting in its replacement. I feel these vehicles need to be covered under the recall notice #J17 for the same reason. It is a "safety issue" and has nothing to do with being worn. There is a defect in the manufacturing process for if there wasn't the rubber seal around the ball joint would not have split. For the split on the rubber ball joint seal to be noticed, a person has to look really close at it. I noticed mine because I was changing out my front brake pads and did a close up inspection. This is of concern to not only me, but I am sure a lot of the other Jeep Liberty owners who have had their vehicles front end drop out from under them when they were driving. I live in Georgia and do travel to the northeast from time to time and also travel South to Florida from time to time. My concern is this: Both seals failed on the ball joints. Both ball joints are subjected to elements similar to those of the vehicles in the northeast even more so while along the coast of Florida. There have been numerous ball joint failures on Jeep liberties in Georgia and fla for the same reason there have been ball joint failures on Jeep liberties in the northeast. A response regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Aug 092007

Liberty 6-cyl

I have been trying to receive a reimbursement from my '02 Jeep Liberty for recalled upper ball joints that we had already replaced. I have a receipt for a "cash sale" but they will not accept it. Dealership is closed. Every time I try to call your number to file a complaint, I'm put on hold for 5 minutes then the connection is broken. I have tried 3 times today. Please advise how I'm to file this complaint. Thank you.

- Pierceton, IN, USA

Jan 032010

Liberty

The front suspension upper control arms ball joint seal has experienced damage in both sides. The loss of lubrication has lead to corrosion, and accelerated wear. No incident has occurred yet, and the situation was found during an inspection of the front suspension.

- Toa Alta, PR, USA

Sep 112009

Liberty

I left my house to go to work and started to pull away when I heard a clunk and then a terrible grinding noise - I tried to back up and the upper ball joint in my Jeep snapped and took the brake line with it. I got out and the wheel/tire was hanging sideways on the vehicle. Thank god I was not driving on the highway at the time. Chrysler says this is not a recall and will not consider fixing it. I am very disgusted as this is a safety issue and the lower ball joints had been recalled previously and there is a bulletin now out about the upper. Because there is no recall connected to my VIN they will not consider it however. I will be fighting this.

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Mar 122009

Liberty

I had just backed out of a parking space in a busy parking lot, drove forward about 20 feet going no more than 7-10 mph, then made a left - still within the parking lot. When turning, I heard a grinding noise, then suddenly, the front end of my 2002 Jeep Liberty renegade collapsed onto the front tire of the driver's side. The upper ball joint of the vehicle had completely separated, knocking the wheel off in the process. This incident occurred in the late afternoon on a Sunday (when mechanics are not open). Aaa towed the Jeep to a local garage nearby; however, on Monday morning, I called Chrysler to file a complaint about what had happened. My call was picked up by an overseas customer service rep. He told me that if I could have the car towed to a Chrysler dealer, they would see what they could do about covering the repair, but to call back after they'd spoken with the dealer. Later that afternoon, I called back. Long story short, my call was escalated to a guy in detroit, who at first said that the call center rep had no business suggesting that my repair would be covered. When I told him I have photos of what happened to the car, he authorized the repair. The dealer had to replace the upper control arm and ball joint, and the brake line which was severed when the front end collapsed! I asked the dealer for the defective parts. He said Chrysler would want them because they were covering it "under warranty." This is a major defect and safety issue - one of many in the 2002 Jeep Liberty. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had pulled out onto the busy highway! while I was happy that Chrysler covered this cost, the car needed further adjustments when it was returned to me as the suspension felt loose and the vehicle was pulling to the left and shaking. The dealer said these were all unrelated (?!), and charged me for those repairs.

- Northport, NY, USA

Mar 232007

Liberty 6-cyl

I was turning into a parking lot when my front right tire collapsed and I hit the curb. This was due to the ball joints being defected. After about a week and a half my car was fixed by the dealership for no charge. It concerns me that I was never notified that there was a second recall on the ball joints or in fact for that matter on the air bags or the exterior lighting. This accident happened last March, I felt it was necessary to make a complaint after seeing on the tv the investigation that is on going with this problem.

- Denville, NJ, USA

Feb 082008

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl

Jeep Liberty 2002 has vibration in the steering wheel that makes controlling the Jeep very difficult at speeds over 60 miles an hour. Then I was on the freeway and I had a total loss off power all most causing accidents the dealership said that the engine needs to be torn apart and inspected and a recall of ball joints done the work took them over a year and the problem still continues their is no warranty and I was charged for the recall repair work I asked for the inspection report showing the work on the engine heads and recall work done when I picked up my Jeep they gave me an invoice that showed battery and sparkplug for $2085 failing to present me with reports I asked for they said all work is warranted for 1yr 12,000 miles I drove the Jeep Liberty back to service dept after having another facility look at the engine to confirm if work had been done it had not been touched reported the mechanic and I am now scared to drive or own this vehicle.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Sep 262004

Liberty 6-cyl

Ltr re recalls on her daimler Chrysler purchased back in August 13, 2001. The consumer stated the vehicle has been recalled more than 3 times and supposedly fixed over 6 times regarding the ball joints. The consumer had an accident. The ball joint broke while the consumer was attempting to park. The radiator was leaking at the seam. The right front hub bearing was noisy. The cd changer would skip after a few songs. The dealer found an internal fault. There was a heavy crunchy noise when driving, stopping and making turns. The front stabilizer/sway bar was replaced. The rack and pinion was leaking.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA