2002 Jeep Liberty suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Oct 012006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While decelerating from 33 mph, the contact turned the steering wheel to the left and it locked up. The failure caused the contact to crash into another vehicle. The contact was injured as well as the driver and passenger in the other vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed. On November 4, 2003, the contact received recall notice number 03V460000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint). He strongly believes that the crash was due to the recall. A police report was filed. The current and failure mileages were 30,000.

- Louisburg, NC, USA

Aug 172006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Consumer requesting reimbursement for the towing cost associated with the failure of the ball joints.

- Quogue, NY, USA

Oct 282006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

This problem is concerning a 2002 Jeep Liberty sport 4X4 3.7lt. During a slow left turn the driver side front spindle and top ball joint failed. I am the original owner of this vehicle. This vehicle has never been off road or driven roughly, it has only seen highways and local municipal roads. I believe that the spindle and top ball joint in question were defective. Within weeks of purchasing this vehicle I returned to a service center with the complaint of the thumping noise from the front end when making turns(have reciept). I was told that there was no problem, the dealer could not duplicate the problem. I complied with the first lower ball joint recall and now the second recall. I attempted to bring my concern to the manufacturer although they were unwilling to listen. I am truely concerned with the front end of the Jeep Liberty. If my wife would have been on the interstate at 55mph the vehicle would have rolled without question. Please forward my concern to all applicable parties and address this with the manufacturer. Without investigation of these component falures life and property could be at risk.

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Aug 162006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I reported a noise during operating my Jeep Liberty, ltd. 4 wd over bumps and turns. I purchased the vehicle with 5 miles on 8/13/2002. 3/21/2003 at 11638 miles, the service shop made a warranty claim - lubed the bushings. 4/28/2003 at 12932 miles, the service shop made another warranty claim -sleeve & strap was replaced. 2/9/2004, at 25045 miles, the service shop made yet another warranty claim -replaced the sway bar bushings & links. I also had lower ball joints replaced for a recall. 4/16/2004, service shop repositions the ft shield at ft suspension. The noise never went away. At the service shops advice, I needed to bring it in if the noise became worse. Yeah right! two other mechanics suggested steering/suspension related. On 4/09/2006, I had my car inspected by the dealership service once again for the worsen noise. The service team replaced the rear center ball joint at a cost of $276.17 and returned my vehicle. With my warranty running out, the service team has supposedly found more serious part changes, of course. On 6/15/2006, the service team replaced the lower ball joint due to wear and repaired a leak in my tire at the cost of $224.05. I also have noticed vehicle pulling to the right. In addition to having paid for services with my warranty still effective, I have further developed other serious car issues. I have a leak in my rear differential and my brake light & ABS lights are on. I had to stop at a service station to fill my tire from 10 psi! although the service department would like me to bring back my car, I do not believe they have the experience for a fourth visit. On my last trip to the dealership, I had requested that if there are any parts replaced to please save the old part. Upon my pick up of the vehicle, I did not receive these parts. I have purchased an extended warranty end of July for $1,600 just in case.

- Peekskill, NY, USA

Jun 192006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated that there was a recall remedy repairs perform on the vehicle two years ago for the ball joints. The replacement ball joint became fractured blowing out a tire and destroying the rim. The contact expressed that the replacement ball joint wer also defective. The dealer fixed the lower ball joint on the passenger side however the contact expressed replacement of the other ball joint was also needed because it may be defective. The dealer and manufacturer declined the request; the recall work has already been performed.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

May 302006

Liberty

We had a recall for the ball joints of our 2002 Jeep Liberty. It took nearly 2 years to get them replaced. They were damaged by the time I did and I had to get a temporary repair on them while we waited for the parts. They were repaired at the end of February early March of this year. At the end of may I noticed a similar noise to what I had been hearing when the original ball joints had made before they were replace. As it turned out they had gone bad already. It seems that the new ball joints are defective too. I have had some out of pocket expenses for this issue and I am not happy at how I have been dealt with by the dealer and daimler Chrysler. I sent a complaint to daimler and their response was that they were sorry I was not satisfied with my vehicle and would file it in a consumer survey file. I am not unhappy with the vehicle. I am unhappy with how hard it has been to get this recall issue fixed and having to pay for service on the ball joints. I purchased the vehicle from glenn E thomas Dodge. The customer service rep with daimler was a woman named alison. My vehicle has been out of use this time for over a month before the final repairs were made.

- Avalon, CA, USA

Sep 012004

Liberty 6-cyl

Consumer has had to replace shocks, drive shaft, brakes and all four tires since purchase. The tires were worn and the noisy were struts, a constant thumping sound was heard when the vehicle was in motion, creaking noise were coming from the front of the vehicle when going over bumps due to the front sway bar bushings, the regulator on the passenger door was noisy, the handle on the passenger door was loose, grinding noise on the front passenger side, the passenger front door's weather strip was coming off, loud noise coming from the rear differential bearings, excessive play in the front tie ends, water under the driver's side carpet, rattling in the speaker on the passenger side, when in 4th high and 4th low, the vehicle felt as if it were in neutral, the cigarette lighter was inoperative, the was a squeak in the steering wheel when turning, the engine idled loud, the vehicle would jump when shifting into gear, there was a delay when braking, the axle boot was leaking.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 162003

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2002 Jeep Liberty is inherently unstable. At almost any speed, the rear end of this vehicle tends to "spin out" resulting in lost of control. Recently, this occurred as my wife was driving this vehicle. As a result, she lost control of the vehicle, struck a guide rail, and rolled the vehicle twice.

- Scottdale, PA, USA

Aug 202003

Liberty

There is a humming noise in the 2 front tires and they are uneven. The dealership indicated that this is caused by ┐feather wear┐. dealership has replaced the shocks, tires, and aligned the vehicle, but the problem still exists. Unable to determine the cause of the problem

- Christiansted, VI, USA

Jun 042003

Liberty

While traveling on the highway and turning vehicle steering wheel has a squeaking noise coming from underneath.

- Medford, MA, USA

Dec 062002

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Vibration felt while driving when you let off the gas or accelerate. When you go about 50 it gets worse. The vibration is there most of the time now. The vehicle has been into the shop 3 times so far and is going back for a fourth time. At first they told me it was not there and now they are doing things but it is not getting better. It is getting worse.

- Lacey, WA, USA

Mar 052003

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The vehicle pulls to the right all the time. Returned it to the dealer 4 times, they aligned it but it still pulls to the right. I called customer service and was told to work with my local dealer. He claims there is no problem and it is aligned to specification. He claims the truck just follows the crown in the road. I tested the truck in a flat parking lot by driving between aligned parking spaces in both directions. It still pulled to the right. I don't doubt that it is aligned, I believe there is (are) other problems. I can't get a satisfactory response from the dealer or company.

- Old Forge, PA, USA

Jan 012003

Liberty

I lost control of the vehicle two days after purchase in the rain while trying to make a right hand turn. The vehicle went straight through the intersection, up and over the curb and into someones front yard. Reported to the dealership. Two months later I had my second experience that also happened in the rain. I was trying to come to a stop at a stop sign and could not stop the car. At this time I took the car back to the dealership and they said there was nothing found. The service director at the time referred to it as operator error and thought that I would get used to the vehicle. Then seven months later on January 1, 2003, I lost control of the vehicle on the beltway trying to avoid something in the road. It was raining. I was going the speed limit (55 mph) and my car started to spin and ended up going southbound in the northbound lanes and finally crashed into a concrete dividing wall. The air bags did not deploy. I feel very fortunate to be alive and that no one else was hurt. The car was taken to the dealership and it is currently under investigation for possible defects. I feel that I am unable to drive this unsafe vehicle. I have also noticed that the vehicle has a tendency to pull to the right.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Oct 022002

Liberty

Consumer states while driving at a low speed, swerved to miss object in the road. Consumer lost total control of vehicle resulting in a collision. Cause unknown.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Aug 282001

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle would pull to the right while driving. The vehicle had been to the dealer on five occasions, and they were unable to correct the problem. The consumer also states that they first noticed the problem at 500 miles, then a significant uneven wearing of the tires. Scc

- Levittown, PA, USA

Nov 152001

Liberty 4WD

Vehicle would wander across the road when driving at highway speeds of 60-65 mph, dealer was not notified at this time.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Apr 012002

Liberty

Consumer states that the suspension on the vehicle is not designed correctly and the consumer almost fliped the vehicle. Contacted dealer and the dealer is not willing to do anything. Nlm

- Ervine, CA, USA

Sep 082001

Liberty 4WD

Vehicle pulls to the right constantly at any speed. Dealer has been contacted and there was no solution for the problem.

- West Lake, OH, USA

Nov 012001

Liberty 4WD

On three separate occasions vehicle fishtail severely on wet road at slow speed, resulting in lost of control, causing moderate damage to the vehicle.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Jun 302001

Liberty 4WD

Since date of purchase consumer has taken vehicle to dealership twice because vehicle pulls to the right while driving. Consumer feels the problem is steering related.

- Schuylkill Haven, PA, USA