2002 Jeep Liberty suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 312008

Liberty

Took 2002 Jeep Liberty for oil change. Informed vehicle needs 2 new upper ball joints. Bottoms were recalled by Chrysler. Why not the uppers as well"??"

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Sep 152008

Liberty

My daughter was driving and turning into a parking lot, as she was turning left to park the car, she said something happened. She got out of the car to find the drivers side wheel had collapsed. The upper ball joint broke or separated causing the tire to collapse. This caused the Jeep to be totally disabled and I'm sure will be a very expensive repair. What is even scarier is that this could have happened on the highway and something much worse could have occurred. How unsafe is this vehicle!!! please look into this vehicle. The SUV has not been repaired yet. It is still being looked at. I noticed that this is not the only complaint about this problem. Please take care of this so that our families are not in danger!

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Jul 162008

Liberty

My 2002 Jeep Liberty with 90,000 miles, the front right upper ball-joint failure occurred when I was attempting to make a left turn across the flow of oncoming traffic. As I turned South on mound rd from hall rd in sterling heights Michigan I, heard a loud noise from the front right and then the wheel separated and I lost control of the vehicle. My Jeep was towed that night to utica van dyke service for repairs 586-739-2680.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Apr 202008

Liberty

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The vehicle was included in two previous recalls regarding the lower ball joints. While driving between 30-35 mph, the contact suddenly lost control of the vehicle. It jerked to the left into oncoming traffic and crashed. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic and it appeared that the upper ball joints snapped out of place, causing the loss of control. The vehicle was destroyed and a police report was filed. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Apr 132005

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I was taking my daughter to school and was turning left out of our driveway onto a busy state route and my front right side wheel broke completely off of the Jeep. We were going about 15-20 mph. This ruined the rim on my Jeep, now I don't have a spare rim/tire anymore. They did put a recall on the upper ball joints and that is what was wrong with my Jeep, I did get reimbursed for that....but not the rim that was ruined from the incident......now I am out a spare rim/tire. I did tell them that I no longer had a spare rim/tire and they indicated that there was nothing they could do about that? I have a hard time believing that. I cannot be the only person that this has happened to. 4-23-08 by E-mail failure was to upper ball joints * smch

- Risingsun, OH, USA

Mar 042008

Liberty 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty. My car was giving me problems. So I took it to the shop. They told me that my upper ball joints needed to be changed at a cost of $963. I told them that it had been recalled. They told me that it was only the lower ball joints. I did research online and it seems like I'm not the only person who had to change the upper ball joints too. I really think it should be recalled too, before more people out there get hurt.

- Kapolei, HI, USA

Oct 242007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle became very unsteady. The failure was also noticed while driving at all speeds. The contact stated that the vehicle made a severe clunking noise prior to the upper ball joints failing. The vehicle is currently at the state inspection station. The upper control arm was replaced. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 41,000.

- Dillsburg, PA, USA

Oct 172007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I was on my way to work driving my 2002 Jeep Liberty when I heard a strange noise. I pulled over to check for any visible problem. I found nothing. I began to driver a short distance when I heard a loud noise coming from the right front end. When I to pullover the vehicle lost control. Fortunately I was able to stop the car. Again I stepped out of the car to check for a problem. Once again I saw nothing visibly wrong. I slowly moved the car out of traffic when my Jeep lunged forward and came to a full stop. When I checked for the problem my right front wheel had fallen off. What a scare. This could of ended up being a very tragic accident.

- Kinnelon, NJ, USA

Sep 062007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the upper ball joint failed and the wheel fell underneath the vehicle while driving. The vehicle is currently at the repair shop. The speed was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 72,000.

- Midway, KY, USA

Aug 292007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The lower ball joints were replaced due to NHTSA campaign number 06V288000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint). While performing the replacement, the dealer noticed that the upper ball joints also needed to be replaced, however, they were not under a recall. The dealer repaired the upper ball joints. The current and failure mileages were 39,300.

- Silsbee, TX, USA

Aug 202007

Liberty 4WD

Saturday August 18th 2007 I received a recall notice from daimler Chrysler regarding the lower ball joints on 2002-2006 Jeep liberties. The recall said water could get into the front suspention causing the ball joint to corrode and separate which could lead to loss of steering and a possible accident. While driving home from work on Monday the 20th (2 days later) my front left wheel fell off without warning, causing loss of control and nearly causing an accident (coincidence?). the dealer said that my upper ball joint had corroded and separated and the recent recall would not cover my repair. Daimler Chrysler said there's nothing they can do and I would be responsible for repairs. I went online and was shocked to find (in only about 20 minutes- so there must be many more) that hundreds of people has the exact same failure with their 02' -06' Liberty. Although I would like daimler Chrysler to take responsibility for the repair, the more important issue is that there seems to be a serious problem with these cars (specifically the ball joints). The recall should definitely include upper ball joints as well. Luckily I was only going about 15-20mph (my car was still completely fish-tailed) if I had been doing anything over 40mph I'm certain I would have rolled it. I'm sure there has to be people out there who had family or friends killed in accidents caused by this exact issue...they probably don't even know how widespread the problem is.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 132007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The contact received recall notice number 03V460000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint). She took the vehicle to the shop for repair and they informed her that the vehicle also has a defective upper ball joint. The contact would be responsible for the repair costs. She feels that the repair and the costs should be included in the recall repair. The current and failure mileages were 40,000.

- Port Saint Lucy, FL, USA

Aug 022007

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. He stated that his daughter's vehicle was included as part of a recall (NHTSA campaign #03V460000) for the lower ball joint. The vehicle has been repaired twice. The contact felt that the upper ball joint was damaged due to a torn rubber pad. The mechanic stated that the brakes on the vehicle were inappropriate based on the weight of the vehicle. The failure mileage was 27,000 and the current mileage was 61,000.

- Miami , FL, USA

Aug 022007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Jeep Liberty 2002 model subject to recall for lower ball joint failure, recall #F23. Lower ball joints replaced by dealer, found upper ball joints also worn out. This problem is similar to the cause of the lower ball joint failure - seal failure with attendant lubrication failure and corrosion.

- Burnsville, NC, USA

Jun 112007

Liberty 6-cyl

2002 Jeep Liberty safety recall F23- lower ball joints customer states that the they had to have the work done and want to be reimbursed for the service* the consumer provided a copy of the repair invoice. The dealer stated that upper ball joint was also bad.

- Concord, NH, USA

Jun 112007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

After having satisfied not one, but two recalls on the 2002 Jeep Liberty renegade for lower ball joint issues, the upper ball joint on the driver side failed as I pulled into my driveway at a 45 degree angle. The tire fell into the ball joint, stopping the Jeep (moving at 5 mph) in its tracks. I am very thankful this did not occur on the highway at 70 mph not 10 minutes earlier. Slight noises were coming from under the vehicle and had just gotten a bit worse a day or two before the failure (although it was driving normally), so I was about to schedule an appointment for it. Fortunately, nobody was hurt, the car itself is fine too, well, other than the missing wheel... parts will be replaced tomorrow at my expense - I am attempting to work with the service manager and likely Chrysler directly to be reimbursed for the obvious flaw. A 4 1/2 year old vehicle with 65K miles driven normally should not simply fall apart like this - warning to all Jeep Liberty owners to have all upper and lower ball joints inspected regularly (at least annually) for this dangerous condition.

- Murrysville, PA, USA

Dec 252006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

1/24/04 - brought Jeep Liberty in for recall on lower ball joint - "ball joints replaced" per Jeep dealership. 3/25/2006 - while pulling out of parking spot, the left front tire broke off of the axle due to corrosion of the upper ball joint. Breaking top of tire from axle. 9/27/2006 - received a new recall notice for the lower ball joint from the dealership. Dealership claimed that lower ball joint was on back order and unavailable. Dealer told me to call back in 90 days. Called other dealership and scheduled recall repair. 10/14/2006 - took day off of work, brought car in to second dealership for recall. I was told that they did not have the ball bearings and was told that they could put me on a waiting list for the ball bearings. 12/25/2006 - wife pulled out of parking space. Left front tire popped out, appears that recalled lower ball bearing broke. Separating bottom of tire from axle. Car is currently at stadium automall dealership, rutherford NJ, where car was originally purchased, waiting to be repaired. Have had problems at this dealership in the past. Have had "oil changes, tune ups, etc" to later find that the dealership never replaced the lube express oil filter that was dated and installed previously.

- Rutherford, NJ, USA

Oct 152006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

- the contact stated that she received her recall letter on her Jeep Liberty 2002 in October 2006. The matter hasn't been rectified as of 12/12/06. The dealership said that they are in back order for the parts. The contact is really concerned about continuing to drive this vehicle.

- Chesapeake, OH, USA

Oct 282006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

This problem is concerning a 2002 Jeep Liberty sport 4X4 3.7lt. During a slow left turn the driver side front spindle and top ball joint failed. I am the original owner of this vehicle. This vehicle has never been off road or driven roughly, it has only seen highways and local municipal roads. I believe that the spindle and top ball joint in question were defective. Within weeks of purchasing this vehicle I returned to a service center with the complaint of the thumping noise from the front end when making turns(have reciept). I was told that there was no problem, the dealer could not duplicate the problem. I complied with the first lower ball joint recall and now the second recall. I attempted to bring my concern to the manufacturer although they were unwilling to listen. I am truely concerned with the front end of the Jeep Liberty. If my wife would have been on the interstate at 55mph the vehicle would have rolled without question. Please forward my concern to all applicable parties and address this with the manufacturer. Without investigation of these component falures life and property could be at risk.

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Oct 032006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 20 mph on a street, the steering wheel became difficult to turn followed by a grinding noise. The vehicle was inspected by an independent repair shop who determined the left front upper ball joint was fractured and needed to be replaced. There was a NHTSA recall # 06V288000 regarding the lower ball joints. The vehicle was not included in the recall due to the VIN. The manufacturer was notified.

- Hammond, IN, USA