3.0

2002 Jeep Liberty transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jul 282006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Driving the Jeep around 20 mph. Transmission went into neutral and would not go into any gear, but would go into park. I turned the Jeep off, restarted it and it went into gear for about 30 feet, then went back into neutral again. It would move after a restart every time, then stop again very shortly after putting it into gear. Had the Jeep towed to the repair shop, they found no codes in the computer and are now saying the torque converter failed which caused the filter to clog.

- Norwich, NY, USA

May 122003

Liberty 6-cyl

Transmission down shifts(clanks) we have a Jeep Liberty sport 2 wheel drive. Downshifts hard when applying brake.(warm or cold) we have had it at the dealers shop about 10 or 15 times in about 2 1/2 years. Shop foreman told us to wait until 30,000. Mile check up for trans. So I guess I'll have to pay for service on it to get it fixed. They have know idea what's wrong with it. So why do I have wait"? I guess some one has to die to get the problem fixed" or get badly hurt!!! so if some one has the same problem report it before some one's family gets hurt. Still nothing as of yet has been done!!!!

- Richland Hills, TX, USA