7.6

1. replace regulator (39 reports)
  3. call jeep at (877) 426-5337 (3 reports)
  4. put a stck under glass to keep it up (2 reports)
  5. replace your good motor with another good motor (2 reports)
  6. rig window closed with rubber door stops (2 reports)
2002 Jeep Liberty windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

2002 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 182012

Liberty Limited

Cheap plastic lift plate on rear passenger window regulator broke for the 3rd time. First time May 2010 and Jeep paid to fix it after calling their customer service # (877) 426-5337. Second time September 2011 just out of the 12 month warranty. This time Jeep only paid half and I was out $240 for a 5 cent piece of faulty plastic. This time November 2012 also just out of the 12 month warranty. All for a window that I rarely open...

- , Pleasanton, CA, USA

Dec 072012

Liberty Limited 3.7L

I'm all ranted and raved out,...since this is the third time I've had this same problem.

The odd thing is I was in the process of doing what the guy at jeep told me was why it had broken the first and second time, non use. He suggested that I roll each window down when I started my car and not to forget the sun roof.

I'm cutting this short because I have to go back and file complaints on the first two times

Sep 012011

Liberty Limited 3.7L

Since this was the second time on the same window within a couple years apart, I lost my trust in Jeep/Chrysler.

I called the Chrysler Dealership , which is in the desert, 90 miles from where I live, that had fixed it before and they said they would stand behind their workmanship and supposedly(since I didn't know about this sight until a future date) fixed it for $50.00 At first though they tried to charge me the same amount $400+. I had paid this amount on this very window less than two years prior.

It was suggested because I rarely used the window that I open and close it when I started my car. I didn't always do it but I did start opening and closing them more often.

Jul 082009

Liberty Limited 3.7L

I was in the desert on July 3 and it was god awful hot, I couldn't get my window fixed until the part got to the dealer...little did I know

Jun 032011

Liberty Sport 3.7L

The right window will not roll down. Now, looking on this site. I now understand why.

- , Lexington, SC, USA

Oct 142011

Liberty 3.7L V6

When is Jeep going to have a RECALL on the window cable breaking????? I have replaced my cable THREE DIFFERENT TIMES....Enough is Enough.. JEEP FIX THIS PROBLEM.. I'm tired of fixing this problem..As of today, I have 2 (more) windows that just broke again, after being fixed previously. The fix never last, it seems like there is a faulty part that the service department keeps replacing for me. AT MY COST... HOW FRUSTRATING....JEEP MAKE A PART THAT'S NOT FAULTY. I hope i'm never in an accident that I would need to put down the window, because THEY DON'T WORK..

- , Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA

May 112012

Liberty Limited 3.7L

Both rear window regulators went within days of each other. Never realized how common the problem was with the Liberty's til I began researching the issue on the web. WOW! Chrysler def has angered many folks AND I know from other Libby problems that Chrysler couldn't care less- what a shame.

- , Aliquippa, PA, USA

Mar 012011

Liberty Sport 3.7lV6

should be addressed by company for customer satisfaction.

Update from Feb 1, 2012: i know the problem very well as a retired jeep master tech I repaired (replaced) many regulator/motor assemblies myself.

- , Carmel, NY, USA

Feb 052011

Liberty Sport 3.7L

once again a cheap design of material , if I decide to fix it it will be with an after market metal type if found on the WEB

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Apr 122010

Liberty Sport 3.7L

For the second time since 2001 my rear window regulators disintegrated... apparently Jeep uses plastic gears in the mechanism and those disintegrate w/ extremes in temperatures..I have tried various tapes to hold my windows closed.. Best solution so far is to jam rubber doorstops into the bottom window frame.. Now my rear doors have shorted out .. apparently the mechanisms are made from the same PLASTIC and cannot be opened. I am the only user of this vehicle and have no need for the rear seat/doors, so I have not had them repaired..and don't really see the need to for the price that I was charged ( $400+) for a single window repair the first time my rear window fell.

- , Elkridge, MD, USA

Sep 012011

Liberty 3.7L

Like many other commenters, I'm now on my fourth occurrence of the window regulators (rear) breaking. First two I had fixed, and then both broke again within about a month of each other. I followed someone's suggestion on here and called the Jeep toll-free complaint number. I was told that because of the age and mileage of the vehicle, there was nothing they could do. I said I was aware that this was a well-documented design flaw in the Jeep Liberty and I didn't care how old the car was, it shouldn't happen four or more times (at a minimum of about $450 per occurrence to fix). The customer service agent said that Chrysler's "criteria for 'good will credit' to help pay to get a problem like this fixed had changed in the past month, any assistance was no longer available, and there was nothing she could do." She was right about one thing: this car needs to go to Goodwill. I think someone should put together a class-action lawsuit to get Chrysler's attention.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 252012

Liberty Renegade 3.7L V6

I bought my 2002 Jeep Liberty brand new out of the showroom.The passenger rear window regulator has just gone out for the third time.The window falls down and won't stay up without some heavy duty tape.It costs $187.25 for the factory part and about $120. for the labor.That's almost $1000. to fix the same rear window.There seems to be hundreds of complaints for this regulator problem.Why doesn't Chrysler come up with a reliable and quality replacement for this ridiculous problem!:(

- , Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Jul 152011

Liberty 3.2L V6

Since March of 2011 when I would put the back drivers side window down it would make this awful screeching sound and would drive my dog absolutely NUTS. I thought it was the rubber stripping. Last night (July 15, 2011) on my way home I put the window down and when I tried to put it up all I heard was grinding. I just could not believe it. I have owned so many cars over the past 20+ years and have never had this kind of problem (except for the 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis - which all 4 windows quit within 6 months). So I did a search on the web via Bing and low and behold I have found a few companies that have a repair kit that is under $100. instead of replacing the entire regulator, there is a metal bracket that actually replaces the plastic pieces that break. I don't know if this is a fix for everyone, but it is something worth checking out.

I also searched on Ebay - they have a kit that has the same brackets that Steiger performance, but it includes brackets for both windows for $88.95. Steiger's includes only one bracket for $79.95. I hope this helps with the costs for the rest of you. I know I cannot afford to pay $200+ for the fix as I am also on Soc. Sec. disability.

Update from Nov 4, 2014: since this time the other back window did the same thing, now the one that I originally fixed is out again... uuuggghh.

- , Fremont, OH, USA

Mar 162011

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Went to roll down my rear left window when it suddenly just stopped. I tried to go back up, and nothing but a grumbling sound. Tried to go back down, and the window fell into the door.

Didn't feel like dishing out $400 bucks to fix it so I pulled in up and jammed a door stop in the window. Got it fixed a year later only to have the other rear window go do the same thing 2 months later.

Based on research this is very common because Jeep choose to use a plastic cable connector. Dealership confirmed this as a known problem, but since it's not a safety issue no recall will be put in for it.

I haven't bothered to fix the second window because not the A/C compressor went bad, and the headgasket blew out for no reason, which are also very common complaints about these Jeeps.

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Dec 062010

Liberty

This is the 7th time in 4years I've had to replace this. I'll never buy a jeep product again.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 052009

Liberty LX 3.2L V6

The drivers side rear window regulator broke and was repaired under an extended warranty . Last week the passenger side broke. I call the Jeep 800 number and they said they would help us with the repair. It was taken to the local dealer for the repair, they called back several hours latter and said that if I pay $100.00 they would fix it. I told the to go to hell since I had the regulator already out of the Jeep. I did some searching on the internet and found a company that has a steel plate to fix the problem(it sell for 89.95). Both windows had the cable come up out of the door past the window. sooner or latter a kid is going to have his/her nose on the window and there will be a bad injury. The maybe Jeep will find a fix when the go to court. As soon as I get the kit to fix this problem I will post the contact info here,

- , Prescott Valley, AZ, USA

Oct 012010

Liberty

I just had my 7th rear window regulator break since April 2007. A couple times it has been covered under warranty, most have been $300-$400 to repair. The latest incident has not been repaired yet, but only because I discovered a temporary solution that has allowed me to procrastinate. [I called Jeep to complain two days ago, was told someone would contact me the following day -- that would have been yesterday and no phone call yet.] Anyhow, I am as frustrated as everyone else about this problem, but after reading about people wiring their window shut, duct taping it up, etc. I thought I would offer my simple solution. I had in the house a couple of those heavy duty suction cup hooks that I bought at Lowe's. I pulled the window all the way up, applied the two suction hooks at the bottom on the inside and viola, the window stays up! No mess, and easy enough to remove in an emergency. The suction cups have been holding strong for nearly a month now, and I live in hot Arizona on bumpy dirt road.

- , T, A, USA

Nov 092009

Liberty Limited v6

I BOUGHT THE JEEP IN 2004 (IT'S A 2002) SO IT WAS FAIRLY NEW. ONE YEAR AGO THE LEFT SIDE REAR WINDOW FELL DOWN AND SORT OF STAYED DANGLING IN THE MIDDLE. I HAD THE WINDOW DUCT TAPED FOR OVER 6 MONTHS UNTIL I COULD AFFORD TO FIX IT. I STILL HAVE MARKS ON THAT WINDOW BECAUSE OF IT.

NOW A YEAR LATER THE RIGHT SIDE REAR WINDOW WENT DOWN AND NEVER CAME BACK UP. OF COURSE ITS RAINY SEASON HERE IN FLORIDA SO I HAVE A RED BIOHAZARD BAG TAPED TO THE WINDOW AND I CANT SEE FROM THAT WINDOW AT ALL. NOW I WOULD CONSIDER IT A SAFETY ISSUE. THAT BAG IS THE ONLY ONE THAT WOULD GET MY ENTIRE CAR SOAKED! I CALLED JEEP AND THEY TOLD ME THEY WOULD GIVE ME A DISCOUNT IF I TOOK IT TO THE DEALERSHIP BUT LET'S FACE IT THE DEALERSHIP IS GOING TO CHARGE THREE TIMES THE AMOUNT OF ANYWHERE ELSE. I LOVE MY JEEP BUT AT THIS RATE I CAN'T AFFORD TO KEEP HER ANYMORE. I ALSO JUST SPENT $1,700 REPAIRING THE ENGINE. IN SIX YEARS I'VE SPENT AROUND $7,000 JUST FIXING THE CAR NOT TO MENTION THE HORRIBLE MILEAGE YOU GET ON IT.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Apr 102009

Liberty 3.2L V6

I am lucky that my husband can replace the regulator, he was ASE certified mechanic before he went into management with Auto Parts Co.. So I do not have to pay for the labor but it is a pain that Jeep will not allow the part to be sold in the aftermarket and we have to buy from dealer everytime. The regulator broke again over the weekend and he will have to fix it again. If someone could come up with a part that will just fix the plastic piece and not cost $100.00 (steiger performance). Their solution is the best but it only comes with 1 year warranty. For the people that do not know how to repair this it can save you money but for the folks that can do this it is a real problem. Of course, we could buy the part from Steiger and stop giving the money to Jeep. Maybe than they will look at this as a problem. You can also just put a board inside the door to hold the window up, just remember to not use the window as with the board in there it might break. Close it back up and don't worry about it. I do not use the back windows so until we decide there is a piece of wood holding the window in place. We will be fixing the car because we are getting ready to trade for new vehicle. This problem is frustrating and I will be calling Jeep. I tried when I found this site but they are closed already.

- , Sylvan Springs, AL, USA

Jul 182010

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

Left rear window slid down on its own while at Lowes. Same issue as before; BROKEN WINDOW REGULATOR!! That makes 3 window regulators that have failed in 9 months!! WTF!!! I don't even roll the windows down!! These plastic parts are flimsy and worthless; they cannot take any type of pressure without breaking up like crackers. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! Luckily, this one failed within the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty from Firestone from the last time I replaced it, and they are repairing for free!! THANK YOU FIRESTONE!!! Jeep is supposed to stand for quality but instead they keep selling this defective part and don't have the decency to recall this piece of crap. I contacted Jeep to see if they will reimburse the $600 I have spent so far but I'm not holding my breath that they will come through. I plan on buying another SUV within a couple of years but will not buy another Jeep unless they step up and cover these costs. WHAT A RIPOFF!!!

- , Winter Spring, FL, USA