2003 Jeep Liberty brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Mar 042016

Liberty

The contact owned a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 25 mph in snowy weather, the vehicle failed to stop when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle crashed into a bridge abutment. The frontal air bags did not deploy. The contact suffered a concussion and chest bruises that required medical attention. The contact was treated and released. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 168,993.

- Green Lane, PW, USA

Jan 172014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds and depressing the brake pedal to come to a complete stop, the vehicle would lunge forward. The brake pedal required being depressed several times in order to stop the vehicle from lunging forward. The contact stated that the failure occurred intermittently without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Henrietta, NY, USA

Jan 062016

Liberty

Inspecting customers Jeep Liberty for no brake complaint, vehicle would not stop, upon inspection found P/S front brake hose rusted off at steel crimp at hose attachment point, inspected D/S hose found severe rust under foam pad around crimp.seems like a bad design and very dangerous in my opinion.

- Flora, IN, USA

Mar 032015

Liberty

On March 3, 2015 I was driving down my street and it has a semi-steep decline and my brakes locked up going down. I pumped my brakes and had my brake pedal to the floor board. My Jeep Liberty failed to stop sending me through an intersection through a small open field and over a small embankment landing on the roof of my Jeep. I had to be transported to the hospital to be checked out. But, from the damage to the Jeep it is most likely totaled.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Feb 102015

Liberty 6-cyl

Turned left out of the doctors office, drove approximately 50 yards and attempted to stop at the stop sign (making a right). The vehicle's engine, however, began accelerating and despite applying extreme pressure to the brake, continued to move forward while the engine accelerated faster. I ultimately ended up throwing it into park and then turning off the ignition to kill the accelerating engine. I have no idea what the RPM was, but it was loud! this also happened 2 weeks ago (first time - very cold morning) and I ended up throwing it into park and turning off the key like today. Todays temperature was around 40 degrees. Fyi - I was in the process of making a right hand turn when this happened and had slightly turned the wheel. After the first incident, I began doubting that this had even happened. In hindsight, despite several blogs on the internet, I am absolutely positive that I did not push down on both the accelerator and brake at the same time. After todays incident, I immediately called our local car dealership to schedule an appointment and then attempted to recreate what happened. Under various scenarios I bumped the steering wheel cruise control buttons (while stopped, while stopping, while accelerating) but could not cause the runaway acceleration to repeat itself. We have an appointment at our local dealership this Friday, or as soon as we can drop it off. Candidly, I'm scared to drive this vehicle at this point!

- Marbleton, WY, USA

Jan 282015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that brake fluid was leaking on the passenger's side of the vehicle and the brake warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Aug 262014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure ) and attempted to have the recall repair performed however, the parts were not available. The contact had been waiting for over one year and the parts had still not become available. The contact had not experienced a failure in the vehicle. The consumer syayed the parts had not become available. The vehicle has been rearended twice due to failure. Updated 2/26/2015

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Mar 282013

Liberty 6-cyl

I was leaving from work going about 45 mph, I smelled electrical components burning, before I could pull the Jeep over to the side of the road it shut off unexpectedly leaving me with no power steering and no power brakes, I nearly lost control of the Jeep, by the time I got to the side of the road the smoke had filled the cabin, the smoke was coming from front drivers side dash. Now I have no headlights, wipers, door locks, radio, alarm, int lights, speedometer, engine light is now on. Mechanic investigated and found that the BCM has a large burn hole in it the size of a silver dollar, I was very glad that my daughter was not in the Jeep with me that day, ,

- Interlachen, FL, USA