2003 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jun 082007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. In December of 2006, while driving 55 mph, the steering wheel began to shake uncontrollably. The contact was unable to immediately stop the vehicle. There was snow on the ground at the time of the failure. The mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. Most recently, while driving 35 mph, the steering wheel began to shake uncontrollably and the vehicle rolled over and crashed into a ditch. Three passengers were injured and the vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. On both occasions, the air bags failed to deploy. The contact informed the insurance company that there was something wrong with the steering wheel, however, they were unable to determine the cause of the crash. The vehicle was towed. The current mileage was 94,000 and failure mileage was 87,000.

- Adams , OK, USA

Dec 142006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

- the contact stated that while driving a 2003 Jeep Liberty at 50 mph she hit a patch of ice. The vehicle slid across the ice and into a ditch and struck a utility pole. The contact stated that upon impact the air bags did not deploy. When she took vehicle to the dealership, they found that the failure was caused by a faulty air bag switch.

- Red Wing, MN, USA

Dec 272006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

- the contact had a 2003 Jeep Liberty with an odometer reading of 58000 miles. The contact was driving at 30 mph under cold but dry conditions he lost control of the vehicle and went into a ditch. Upon impact the air bag did not deploy. On 12-12-06 contact received recall 03V460000 for lower ball joints. The police report for the crash was available. The contact felt that the vehicle's design and ball joint failure were the reasons for the crash. Updated 2/6/2007 - the consumer injured his right hand and left leg.

- West Monroe, NY, USA

Jan 022004

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Ball joint failure three times. Emergency brake on five speed never has worked properly. Replace engine at 70,000. Now the card end joint for the four-wheel drive is not working correctly. My biggest complaint is the ball joint failure for the third time. This issue also causes chain reactions in the tires I have had three sets of tires wear uneven and I wrote the company the first time to complain and got no response. I use my Jeep to make my income and do not trust it any more. I do not recommend this vehicle to any one and will not pass it on to any family member.

- Elk, WA, USA

Jan 112005

Liberty 4WD

Vehicle was going at approximately 25 mph through an intersection and was T-boned on the passenger side by another vehicle going about 35 mph. The vehicle was knocked head on into a water hydrant and a tree and the air bags failed to deploy. Vehicle was totaled.

- West Hills, CA, USA

Dec 262004

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My wife jessica and son andrew were traveling on interstate 80 East bound the day after christmas 2004 when we hit a patch of ice and were thrown off the road, down a bank and struck a tree head on at a speed of 40-50 mph. Our air bags did not deploy and our seat belts did not lock up. I was in the passenger seat and was thrown forward towards the window and my wife flew up and hit the grab bar on the drivers side. I contacted Jeep and was told that an air bag should not have deployed. My mechanic had told me that there was enough force to deploy the air bags. I do not feel safe in this vehicle any longer.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Nov 052003

Liberty

While driving 50 mph vehicle lost control without warning. When consumer applied the brakes vehicle surged forward into a guard rail. Air bags failed to deploy. Driver sustained back injuries.

- Nanuet, NY, USA

Dec 282003

Liberty 6-cyl

While pulling out of a parking area gas pedal became stuck to the floor. Vehicle accelerated, and the consumer lost control, and struck a tree. After striking the tree vehicle struck an abutment head on and flipped completely over. Consumer suffered minor injuries and was taken to the hospital. The police did respond to the accident. The air bags did not deploy upon impact.

- Quinwood, WV, USA