2003 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Oct 282016

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V673000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact stated that the seat belts failed to lock in place. The failure mileage was 136,000.

- Duenweg, MO, USA

Apr 072016

Liberty

I just received a call from Jeep that an outstanding recall is still on my vehicle and looking back some months ago, I brought my car into a dealer to have all of the recalls fixed and they said they need to order a part for one of the recalls. I never received a call back stating that the part was ready to be installed. Had it not been for this current call from Jeep I would have forgotten all about it. I just don't have time to keep bringing this car in and waiting for parts to be installed on it.

- Crete, IL, USA

Mar 012016

Liberty

2003 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle airbag and seat belt issues at dealership. The consumer stated the dealer did not want to give him an appointment, because they needed authorization.

- Isabela, PR, USA

Oct 052015

Liberty

Recall R06 only partially performed by Jeep dealer.. passenger seat electronics having to do with airbag deployment / seatbelt restraint, were disconnected by dealer as per Fiat Chrysler. Parts are still not available to complete this R06 recall. Passenger life may be in danger.

- Melbourne Beach, FL, USA

Jan 152015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While the vehicle was parked, the seat belt became inoperable. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Deleware, OH, USA

Mar 022015

Liberty

I got a recall letter fro my Jeep Liberty 2003, to arrigo Chrysler, 6500 okeechobee blvd. West palm beach, fl I got a recall on my air bag. I told the services manager that my air condition was not blow cold. I was at the dealership for 2 hours. When the services manager told me my Jeep was ready. I when to pickup my Jeep, and got a bill for $249 for recharging my air condition. When I got in my Jeep, and turn on my air condition, it was worry then it was when I brought it in. I took my Jeep back to the services manager and told him my air condition was not working. He told me it had to run before my air condition would get cold.when I got home my air condition still didn't work and call the services manager for a week without a return call. I just move to Florida in January of 2015, on the 12th of that month, I was rushed to the hospital and had heart surgeon. I on disabity and don't have money for services not received.you can check on all my services, done on my Jeep, in denver, co. And see I always paid my bill for good services. I need my $249 because my Jeep was not services, and my seat belt light and air bag light been on every since I brought my Jeep, to arrigo Chrysler, invoice number is 488252.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jun 042015

Liberty

While driving an extremely short distance from my home driveway (maybe 50 feet), my "driver side" seatbelt pretensioner and airbag deployed. There is already a recall for airbag/seatbelt pretensioner on my vehicle (M35 (12V-527) or N13 (13V-040) R06). When I brought my vehicle into suncoast Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, they to told me the recall was for only the "passenger side" and "driver side" was not part of the recall. They said they could not find any reason why the "driver side" airbag and seatbelt pretensioner deployed. They said the cost to replace my airbag and seatbelt pretensioner would be just under $1500.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Jan 042015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle suddenly stalled and crashed into a telephone pole. The air bags failed to deploy and the seat belt had not restrained the contact. As a result, the contact sustained back and neck injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 252014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My airbag light was showing up intermitent, now will stay on permanent. I am afraid to drive it and have an accident.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Nov 022013

Liberty 6-cyl

I was sitting in line at the pharmacy my 12 year old son was sitting in the rear drivers side seat with seat belt on the seat belt began tightening as he changed position and each time he breathed it tightened around his chest he couldn't breathe and rushed him to the fire station 1 block away where they cut the seat belt, other than being able not to breathe there was no other injury thanks to my quick action. We tried to release the seat belt and it would not release. The front drivers side seat belt sticks and sometimes you get stuck and have to release it with a small stick like object.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Mar 182014

Liberty

The car had been acting funny, going fast then making a noise and going ok again. I am not a fast driver as in November my husband of 32 years, passed after being in a hit and run, from people with no insurance, my life is pretty much hell. I was starting to smell something funny like burning and I thought I maybe a tire or strut. I was at a signal second car in and loots of traffic, including school buses. There was a gas station about 30-40 feet from me, but the first car went in to get gas, so on second thought going by the pumps was not a good idea, so I put on signal and tried to pulled over. Car were speeding past me and the car began to accelerate and it will to the right, I turned left or pulled to the left, crashed into a pole hard. Seat belt went flying off, air bags on side did not go off, but front ones did. I broke my leg and bruises, plus a black eye. Since the week before I lost my job, I am doomed, have to try to find a job, because I can:T my car get unemployment. I loved my car first and only car I have ever had.is there anything you could do to help as I have had many recalls and had them checked, but those is just so strange I thought I had.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Jan 172014

Liberty 6-cyl

The airbag system occupant restrain control module was replaced on the vehicle. The airbag light remains on and the service center stated there is a faulty module indicating a seatbelt issue after using the machine that reads codes. We were advised to contact vehicle safety. The service center is pellegrino Chrysler Jeep, 241 N. glassboro road, woodbury heights, NJ 08097. Phone number 856-848-2822. Please contact on this matter. Thank you.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Mar 282012

Liberty 6-cyl

I have received three notices regarding recall on the orc module for Jeep Liberty 2002 and 2003. Each time notice had been received I attempted to schedule service appointment to have this issue rectified. Each time was told there was a back log because of number of recalls and couldn't give me when this part could be replaced. Needless to say im receiving another notice stating the seriousness of this matter but no indication when part will be available. I drive everyday and my safety is at risk as and it is now over a year with no resolve.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 232013

Liberty

Just got another recall notice..safety recall..M35/NHTSA 12V-527 occupant restraint control module filter circuit this is one of many recalls..with no parts available..how many recalls will it take to recall this dangerous Chrysler.. how many accidents, deaths..money spent for a lemon..tell dan reed..I have notified the proper higher ups..maybe they can handle this..since your dept. Cannot.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 262013

Liberty 6-cyl

I was driving 60 mph down sh 75 when the air bag light came on. A few seconds later the air bag deployed. It hit me in the chest and startled me. I had burns on my arms and it ripped a fingernail back. I thought I broke my thumb, the impact was so hard. Thankfully, I was able to keep my Jeep on the road. The driver side air bag is the only one that deployed and now the seat belt does not work properly either.

- Huntsville, TX, USA

Dec 312012

Liberty 6-cyl

The occupant restraint control (orc) module has a chance of experiencing an electrical overstress condition. Part has not been shipped to my dealer as of 7/29/2013. M35/NHTSA 12V-527 notified close to 6 months ago.

- Livingston, NJ, USA

Apr 062012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the front driver's air bag deployed. The front driver's seat belt also seized and could not be loosened. There was no crash and no warning prior to the failure. The contact merged onto the shoulder for a couple of minutes and then the vehicle was safely driven home. The dealer was notified and stated that there were no recalls addressing the failure. The manufacturer was also notified and stated that there were no recalls on the air bag. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 175,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 202011

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Please address immediately as a safety recall notice. _____________________________________________________________________________________ according to NHTSA action number: EA05022 there was a seat belt defect investigation regarding 2002 Jeep Liberty's. this report states that "a change was made to the tooling used to produce the buckles". __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________I am contacting you to report that the change did not fix my 2003 Jeep Liberty seat belt buckle which appears to have an identical problem wherein the seat belt buckle is failing to latch properly as described in NHTSA action number: EA05022. ____________________________________________________________________________________ I have already tried to contact Jeep customer relations and my local Jeep dealership to obtain a resolution, but unfortunately they were unwilling to assist. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Sep 202011

Liberty

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that he had to use excessive force to remove the front driver side seat belt from the buckle. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 119,000.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA