2003 Jeep Liberty wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jan 282015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My boyfriends daughter was driver and my daughter (both minors) head busted on the front passenger windshield. Cars in front of them stopped abruptly and they were going 55 mph and could not get stopped, hitting the car stopped in front of them. Neither driver nor passenger airbag deployed. My daughter is lucky!

- Lancaster, KY, USA

Oct 212014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

When this vehicle was purchased my husband and I took it to our local maguire Chrysler of 502 N franklin St.watkins glen NY 14891 dealer, @ that time we had researched and heard that our make and model Jeep Liberty had a recall on frt ball joints, but we were assured by our dealer that our make and model was not included. However on 10/21/2014 my son driving home from college had experienced the tire just breaking off. After being towed to the dealer it was stated that both front upper control arms and both lower ball joints needed well as replacing front brake hoses that were damaged from the incident.on November 13,2014 I received a letter from daimler Chrysler stating safety recall F23-lower ball joints.this was after we have had problem fixed and paid main complaint is bringing the problem to the dealers attention, and them sweeping it under the carpet, then the incident happens endangering our child, thankfully on the flat not while coming down the steep hill on his routine trip.I find it extremely hard to believe that the dealer did not know of the recall before the customer. I feel they could have and should have researched this recall on two occasions, 1st when we first brought it to there attention and second when the accident occurred, this is shady business not the safety of their customers.

- Montour Falls, NY, USA

Oct 042012

Liberty 6-cyl

Left driver side, upper ball joint separated from control arm. Wheel collapsed outward. Fortunately, it happened after leaving the interstate driving 70 miles per hour. Entering service station wheel collapsed. Happened to talk to an individual who was aware of the problem. Individual said that this is a current and on going problem with today's vehicles. The front components are being designed so they cannot be maintained properly. Lack of grease fittings, pressed in joint design on ball joints to control arm, instead of re enforced with bolts or other safe measures. Individual stated that it is occurring on most all makes and models. Instead of just replacing the defected ball joint, the control arm, with no other defect, but this, has to be replaced, costing even more money. Has been reported, that deaths have occurred. The mental impact and feeling insecure after a fix is ongoing. I see more deaths and accidents occurring because of this problem. Thank you.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Oct 032012

The contact owns a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while traveling 35 mph, the vehicle began abnormally steering to the right. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who confirmed that the front passenger wheel was damaged and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 100,000.

- Essex, CT, USA

Mar 232012

Liberty 6-cyl

I was heading to friend's place and had just gotten off the highway when I pulled into her street. I went up a slightly raised driveway in order to turn the car around when I heard a loud, grinding sound. I thought that maybe something had gotten stuck under the car, so I got out to check but saw nothing. I got back in the car and continued to reverse it in order to park, but the noise started right back up again and steering had now become extremely difficult. I eventually parked the car, got out and noticed that the front passenger wheel was bent in because the ball joint had come out. I know that there were recalls regarding this in 2003, 2006 and 2009. I am planning to call the dealership tomorrow to alert them of the situation. However, any help that you can help me would be great! thank you!

- Bridgeport, CT, USA

Feb 292008

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My daughter had been driving on the upper level (H.O.V lane) of the 59th St. Bridge in queens NY and lost control of the vehicle as she was turning upward on a very sharp turn, which then led to her colliding head first with the sidewalls.

- Woodside, NY, USA

Jun 242007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Never received a recall notice for anything about the Jeep now. While driving the front left wheel feel off the ball joint snapped.

- Tipton, IN, USA

Feb 242004

Liberty 4WD

Poorly designed wheels/rims held mud, ice, snow etc. In or near the valve stems.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Jan 082003

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Steel wheels on my Jeep Liberty have a lipid grove that fills with ice, snow, mud and sand. This is especially bad with off road use. This causes the front wheel balance to go out and causes the vehicle to steer and handle very erractically. It may take several tries with a power hose to clear the wheels. You cannot see behind the spokes to see if all is clear.

- Zuni, VA, USA