7.4

1. replace window regulator (38 reports)
  3. wedged cardboard between windows/frames (3 reports)
  4. fixed with small diameter wire or small cotter pin (1 reports)
2003 Jeep Liberty windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Jeep Liberty:

2003 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 032011

Liberty Sport V6

Rear window regulator broke, never even use that window, not sure it was ever used, heard a pop one day while driving & didn't know what happened till I got home & noticed window down & wouldn't go back up, if others are having same problem they should recall.

- , penns grove, N.J., USA

Nov 302012

Liberty Sport 3.7L

We bought our jeep, and 6 months later issues with windows occurred. It began with the left window. For no reason, while we were driving, the window just fell! We tried to roll it up as it is power windows and all we heard was ticking. The window would have fallen into the door panel 50 or more times if my husband had not taped it.

2 days later the same thing happened to the right window. After doing months of research, I called Chrysler after reading that " some" of the vehicles had been on recall because of the issue, but ours, apparently, was not under recall because of something STUPID about where it was made. I asked the dumb lady if that made any sense. A recall should apply to any vehicle made by the manufacturer. Whether the car is under warranty or not, a recall should apply to all vehicles that have the issue.

I am going to report jeep to the better business bureau. I was unable to speak to a supervisor or anyone else. I am PISSED! My son is 14 months and it is the middle of winter and by no means do we have $700 dollars to fix two dam windows!!!!!!!

I will NEVER recommend or buy another jeep/chrysler product EVER again! A month ago we also received a letter stating that the airbags are on recall and can deploy at any time, but the letter states the parts to fix them are UNAVAILABLE!

REALLY!

I'm ready to file a lawsuit!

- , Auorora, CO, USA

Aug 302012

Liberty Spot 3.2L V6

took my jeep over to the body shop today...they got the door open! When the window fell, it pushed the regulator into the locking mechanism. The new regulator was ordered, and they will install it tomorrow. The part that really sucks is, I'm using up all my vacation time to have this work done.

- , Lakewood, NJ, USA

Aug 302012

Liberty Spot 3.2L V6

This is the second time the window has fallen. The first time was 2 years ago, needed a new regulator, and it was great until last week. Came out of work and the window was down (driver side rear) . Started the car, and hit the button to put up the window...lots of noise, nothing happened. Got out of the car, tried to open the door where the window fell, it wouldn't open. Took it to my mechanic the next day, they got the window up, but the door still won't open! The next day driving home, the window fell again. Now I have to take it to a body shop so the door can be removed, and have the window fixed too. I hate driving around with plastic where the glass is missing. I've had the car over 9 years, and was thinking about getting another JEEP, but no thanks!

- , Lakewood, NJ, USA

Feb 232010

Liberty Limited 3.6L

6 window regulars @$500 a piece! I'm thinking of trading and I love my Jeep other than this window nightmare!

- , Travelers Rest, SC, USA

Apr 022009

Liberty Limited 3.6L

I've had to fix this problem 3 times on each side @ $500 a whack! I love my Jeep except for this recurring problem!

- , Travelers Rest, SC, USA

Jul 152008

Liberty Sport 3.7L

Both side windows fell down, rod broke, happened again. Complained - wrote letter to Chrysler, told manufacturing was faulty, reply says warranty expired. Will not buy Chrysler cars again, period.

- , Cleveland, MS, USA

Jun 022009

Liberty Limited 3.7L V6

This happened twice, I have not had it fixed since it has broke the second time, I have made the passenger rear window secure to not move. I found if the part was less expensive, I probably would not mind as much, but when you shell out about $170 for the part and spend a Saturday morning installing it. Instead of having Jeep install a new one for over $400. It gets a little aggravating to say the least. I have never had this problem with any other automobile I have every owned. And if my wife's deceased mother would not have bought her this car. I am not for sure I would continue fixing it, but this summer I will try it another time to make her happy.

- , St. Peters, MO, USA

Aug 232011

Liberty LTD V6

This is the 3rd. time to fix this problem. My mechanic says this is a design flaw. so far $1300.00 spent on a problem I never had with any other vehicle. Chrysler should be held accountable.

- , West Orange, NJ, USA

May 152011

Liberty Sport

Well.... ADD me to this complaint and Law Suit..... First the driver's side fell down.... taped it up and then the passenger's side went down. Guess I will call Jeep and see if they will cover... Sure that will not happen, they could not even fix the rear brakes and rotors from not smoking when I bought it. have had to replace the entire AC System.... Guess I will get some "Good Old" ZIP Z-TIES and seal them UP. I REFUSE to pay a dime to fix it.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 202011

Liberty Limited 3.7L

This is the 3rd time this regulator has broken. it's the rear window and it's hardly ever used. I'm just driving alone and wham.... road noise because the window had dropped inside the door panel.

- , Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Aug 062011

Liberty Limited

On Aug 6, 2011 the rear drivers window started sliding down on its own on my 2003 Jeep Liberty. I see others are having the same issue. So far I have not had this fixed and by the looks of it I won't be taking it to the dealership.

- , New Athens, IL, USA

Aug 182011

Liberty Limited

On Aug 18, 2011 the passenger rear window started sliding down on its own on my 2003 Jeep Liberty. This is happened not 2weeks after the drivers window started sliding down. Now I have 2 broken rear windows. The rear windows are not used that often so wondering what that issue is.

- , New Athens, IL, USA

Feb 042011

Liberty Sport 3.7L

Rear window regulators failed several times. The failure would alternate between the rear windows, once every 6 months or so, just far enough apart that the regulators would be out of warranty. The last time, we ordered a little replacement part from a place called Steiger Performance for $79,95 each. These parts are made of metal rather than plastic, and they come with detailed instructions of how to install them. We did both rear windows to save time and money. Since each of the other repairs had cost between $250 and $400, we figure we were money ahead after having already spent around $1200.00 for these repairs.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 082011

Liberty Limited 3.7L

I bought this vehicle from my minister; he had replaced two regulators in the first 50,000 miles. At 76,458,he had to replace one of those plus another one. When I bought it, one was bad so I replaced it. Now it is bad again. Without a doubt, it is the laughing stock of about 486 people at our church. I've written Chrysler,Jeep,and the dealer it was bought from. It appears they don't care anything about their reputation,as the dealer and Jeep didn't bother responding. Chrysler wrote that the original owner should have had this taken care of and that they can't do anything about it. They offered a fair trade in value if I wished to purchase a different car from their list of fine automobiles,with full warranties. FAT CHANCE OF THAT EVER HAPPENING!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT A STRONG AMERICAN NAME,JEEP,HAS GONE BY THE WAYSIDE,BY A FOREIGN COMPANY!!!!!!!!! JUNK!!!

- , Fort Calhoun, NE, USA

Oct 122010

Liberty Limited 3.7L

This is the second rear window (not the same one) I have had the window regulator failure issue. With this repair I did not go to the dealership for the repair. I went to a shop that my son in law works at because I knew wouldn't be charged the markup on the part or a ridiculous amount on the labor. He did however install the actual manufacturers part. At this point in time I'm hoping this is the last fix.

Apr 022011

Liberty Limited 3.7L

The same rear window I had fixed in Sept 2007 fell down again. I am not happy. I had taken a day trip which had to be cut short because the window had started going down while I was in a museum. I was in downtown Detroit (not the safest place to be if you are planning on going into a restaurant for lunch and your vehicle is not secure) plus the skies were getting grey and rain was on its way. Since it was Saturday I could not do anything until Monday. I located the car complaints website and saw all the complaints about this issue. I was really upset that the problem has continued and Chrysler has still not considered this to be a recall item. Apparently the problem rose to a high with the 2006 and 2007 model years and an extended warranty was established for these years. Some people had this happen up to 11 times. I cannot imagine how ticked off they are. Anyhow I decided to call the Chrysler number (800-992-1997) a few people had noted in their complaints. I told them about my recent situation and was told I could likely get some "assistance" to get the problem fixed. At first I was informed I would only have to pay $125. I said "is that the best you can do for me" and went on to explain that this is the third time this has happened and the second time on one of them, the amount I would owe then went down to $50 (plus $3 for tax = $53) which is what I paid after getting the repair at the dealership. The case manager asked me to supply him with receipts from the previous repairs and he would see if there could be some reimbursement although he didn't give any figures. He did tell me however that the fix that was NOT DONE at the dealership would likely not be for as much, but I was lucky that a manufacturers part was used or there wouldn't have been any reimbursement. Bottom line I had previously paid out around $553 for two repairs and within a week I had a refund check for $439. I am quite satisfied with this resolution but hope it doesn't happen again. They obviously know that this window regulator problem is a BIG problem. If I have any future issues I will not hesitate to call Chrysler 800-992-1997 and hopefully get the same assistance. It is definitely worth a shot if you haven't done so already !

Sep 012007

Liberty Limited 3.7L

Dealership stated there was no recall and I was required to pay full charge for the repair. Very disappointed especially since I hardly ever used this window in the rear seat. I do not understand how this could have happened. The service area made some comment that led me to believe that others had had the same issue.

Mar 012011

Liberty Sport 3.7L

Windows keep falling down rear drivers side. The parts store most online or in area don't carry the part for rear window. jeep tried to lie me on phone and say this isn't a problem. Yet the net and complaint places are filled with them.

And even their own parts people admit its defective . And say its a widespread problem. and the parts are defective.

This is unacceptable. And a class action lawsuit needs to be filed. And started .all jeep has to do is send people the 20 cent piece .Instead of knowing there's a problem.then not allowing the parts to be sold properly. Greed and corruption. They should have been let go bankrupt

- , Bluefield, WV, USA

Mar 132011

Liberty Sport 3.2L V6

This is the FOURTH window regulator I have had to replace in this 2003 Liberty - we SOLD our 220 Liberty because FIVE had to be replaced on it. We are about to buy two new vehicles and NOW my widfes 2003 Liberty is back yet again - this is a defective part.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA