2004 Jeep Liberty drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Liberty:

2004 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jul 152015

I was driving up the street heard something like a ran over something then Jeep cut off got out to see if I ran over something but nothing was there and Jeep would not start back up, what if I had been on the highway or busy traffic I could have been seriously hurt, which U am blessed that did not happen, the problem I have is Chrysler should notake anything that could cause you bodily harm. A computer should never go out that is dangerous. I had to have the Jeep towed to my home and then to a ship on two different times an one time back home from the shop because I did not have $900 to repair. So I'm stuck without having my Jeep repaired because I'm on a fixed income. Also having electrical problem where Chrysler did poor wiring., cigarette lighter keep going out, blinker and radio wiring is terrible and one of the front lights. Chrysler you got to do a better job, because I loved my Jeep, but very disappointed because I can't afford to have it repair.

- Trotwood, OH, USA

Jan 152014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the front driver side seat belt would not retract. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the spring harness seat belt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 09/11/15 the consumer stated the seat belt would no longer fasten and the transmission failed at 80,000 miles. Updated 10/13/2015

- Waterville, VT, USA

Jan 152015

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle slid from left to right without warning. In addition, the vehicle jerked and failed to accelerate over 40 mph. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 12V085000 (suspension). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 165,000.

- Atlanta , GA, USA

Jan 012015

On numerous occasions including today, my 2004 Jeep Liberty has fallen out of gear. Previously I was on the highway doing about 60 mph and the car switched from drive to neutral on its own. Today the most recent incident I was leaving wawa to get coffee and on my way to work, at the red light the car was in drive, foot on brake as one would normally do. When the light switched to green I lightly tapped the accelerator/gas pedal and the car sat there for a moment without moving again as if it was in neutral. So I pressed the gas pedal again only this time the car started to reverse, as the gear shift clearly showed that I was again in drive. This is very dangerous, thank god both times this has occurred that no other vehicle was behind me or else they may have been a fatal accident especially when I was on the highway. I have read online numerous accounts where this has happened to other Jeep owners I am very dissatisfied that it seems there was no recall with this issue as far as my research shows. I do hope that some one sincerely takes the time to look over the data and any other occurrences of this issue. Updated 3/17/16

- Woodstown, NJ, USA

Feb 032014

2004 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to gas tank recall notice. The consumer also stated, the transmission did not shift properly.

- St. Marys, WV, USA

Jul 082013

We were at a berry farm picking raspberries, we looked up and saw our vehicle rolling towards us. The transmission must of popped out gear(park) the car continued gaining speed down the hill as it slammed into a tree.

- West Simsbury, CT, USA

May 132013

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while her vehicle was parked, it independently rolled forty to fifty feet before stopping. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 55,000.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Apr 012013

Same as some of the other complaints; vehicle refused to start. Random at first, the wouldn't start at all. Towed to dealer and entire steering column has to be replaced to fix one small part, which is on backorder. Will contact the manufacturer tomorrow to complain, doubt it will help. I have seen multiple complaints with this issue, Jeep should do something about it! $800 in repairs. Last Jeep/Chrysler I will ever own. I don't have the VIN right now, as the vehicle and registration are at the shop.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Liberty 6-cyl

Car just shuts off on highway... this has happened several times.... after restarting works okay as if re-starting booting electrical system... engine light on.. rear hatch does not open... I believe this vehicle has major electrical problems from what I have read and experienced...

- Burbank, CA, USA

Feb 112009

Parked vehicle at gas pump. Set parking brake, left transmission in neutral (engine idling). Got out of vehicle and it then started rolling forward. The parking brake has never worked correctly since I bought this vehicle at about 14,000 miles and still doesn't even after having the parking brake shoes and springs replaced. I replaced them because the right-rear parking brake has taken to sticking while driving. A couple of times I've come home and gotten out of my vehicle to an acrid smell of burning and the excessively high temperatures coming from the right rear brakes. It's been a while since the gas-station incident happened, and the only reason it still doesn't happen is I never leave it parked out of gear anymore. The parking brake is worthless and would never be of use to stop the vehicle in an emergency where the primary braking system has failed. Someone could have been hurt or killed if I hadn't been right there to jump in my vehicle to stop it from rolling.

- Kent, WA, USA

Nov 092011

Liberty 6-cyl

Car suddenly turned left on 6-lane busy street, accelerated, crossed 2 lanes on left, immediately accelerated & hit 6-lane highway divider at 45 degree angle.. bounced up. Perched there for a awful second then tipped down on opposite road. Engine still maxed & uncontrollable.. car turned gently over on roof because engine still at max. Turned it off fearing fire. Wife and I sat there upside down in our belts till the emts came. Researched on internet & found articles by at least 3 Jeep dealers sternly telling drivers to get their rear differential pinion gears adjusted if they mounted oversize tires. Our car had oversized tires when we bought it used. No Jeep company warnings. Were issued Jeep or by dealer. Found 1 terrifying article of a driver who slid to the left without steering control and was struck by an oncoming truck. I've driven about 2 million miles without ever being chg'd w/contributing to an accident..

- Charleston , SC, USA

Sep 152012

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while turning right, the front end of the vehicle abruptly pulled to the right and the contact lost control of the vehicle. The contact crashed into a parked vehicle as a result. There were no injuries. The contact believed that the front axle failed and caused the crash. The vehicle was towed to a salvage yard. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- North Bergen , NJ, USA

Jul 272012

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated hat the protective booth cover for the drive shaft was missing and would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and a claim was filed. The manufacturer offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- West Bend , WI, USA

Jun 252012

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle accelerated up to 75 mph on its own. The contact was able to decelerate. The failure recurred, and while depressing the brake, the vehicle accelerated instead of braking. There was a warning light illuminated with a symbol of a car and the contact was unsure of what that meant. The vehicle was taken to dealer; however an inspection or repair did not take place. The manufacturer was notified and no assistance was provided. The failure and current mileages were 72,000. Updated 08-07-12 updated 08/08/2012

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 212007

Liberty 6-cyl

Transmission went at roughly 35,000 miles and again at 70,000 miles and then again at 120,000 miles first 2 times I was driving slow in town the third time I was on the highway when transmission slipped out of gear almost had an accident!

- Rock Tavern, NY, USA

Jul 022009

My husband is a mechanic. He and his employer were trying to maneuver a 2004 Jeep Liberty into the work stall from the parking lot. The Jeep had a broken ball joint (a condition that they later found was under recall notice) and would not steer, so my husband was guiding it with a floor jack while his boss was behind the wheel, braking when necessary to help control forward momentum. The vehicle was idling. This is standard procedure, one carried out many times by both men. Both men have at least 25 years of experience each as auto mechanics. There is a lip just at the door of the shop to prevent water from coming in, and when the Jeep came to this lip, the vehicle tipped slightly, and the right front tire touched the ground. Instantly, the engine revved and the vehicle jumped forward at full power. The boss literally stood as hard as he could on the brake but to no effect. The vehicle left a long black skid line behind it where the back tires were trying to brake, but the front tires were continuing to accelerate. My husband was hit and dragged fifteen feet then crushed against an upright support. According to both mechanics, the front wheels should not have had power to them, since the vehicle was not in four-wheel drive and cannot put itself into four-wheel drive: A lever must be raised manually. My husband had to be life flighted to emmanuel hospital where he was diagnosed with a collapsed lung, broken nose, broken collarbone, nine broken ribs, and a broken ankle. He also suffered general crushing of most of his body. A broken left rib was diagnosed two weeks later. The Jeep was taken to a local Chrysler dealership for repair of the broken ball joint and the transmission pan, damaged in the accident.

- Mcminnville, OR, USA

Aug 272006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Bad transmission and lower ball joint recall

- Captain Cook, HI, USA