2004 Jeep Liberty miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Liberty:

2004 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Apr 152015

Liberty

The ball joint and then it went out of line front in raddleing under the Jeep.

- Nebo, IL, USA

Mar 262016

Liberty

I had to replace one of the motors for the back windows last year and now both of my front windows aren't working. This is costly and an inconvenience. Is there any help?

- Eaton, IN, USA

Dec 012015

Liberty

The window regulator clip has broken on the rear windows at least six times. There is a plastic clip that evidently gets brittle and breaks. This clip should have been made of a stronger material. This keeps happening on windows that we never even use. So, it is not from wear and tear. Jeep covered the cost six times, but will not cover it again. It is very expensive to fix.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Nov 132015

Liberty

My passenger side window has fallen down and it will cost about $400 to have it repaired. From my understanding this is caused by a defective window regulator. I have read that Chrysler used a cheap plastic clip in its assembly. This is the 2nd window this has happened to. In searching the internet there are thousands of people that have had this problem, most of the problems are in the 2004 model. Jeep really should do a recall on this problem. I only have 36,000 miles on this vehicle and these problems should be paid for by Jeep Chrysler. I was driving to the store the other day in pouring down rain when all of the sudden the window dropped down. I stopped my car and tried to pull it up, but if fell down too far. The inside of my car got very wet because of this and I had to return home. I then took it to my local repair shop. It is still there, so I have been without a car for 4 days. As I have said there are hundreds of complaints about this problem and Chrysler Jeep won't do a thing about it for their customers.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Oct 022015

Liberty

My 2004 Jeep Liberty was a recall which I took to Chrysler for to get repair for front and back suspension and repair and gasoline tank apparently when I got my vehicle back oil was leaking all over the engine I took my vehicle back 2 days ago to be told that the could not help me their was no oil leaking when I brought it in they refuse to assist me with the problem can you please help

- Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 152015

Liberty

There is a recall on my car for the gas tank being too close to the rear bumper. I brought it to Jeep in nelliston, N.Y. they install a trailer hitch to correct the problem.they worked on it for one hour, and then told me they can't install the trailer hitch, because they broke a hole tap off in one of the mounting holes, this is not my fault, they will not correct my recall, and they will not even call me back, they tell me there is nothing they can do. So they are not going to honor the recall on my car, as far as they are concerned, I can just go ahead and burn up in my car, if I get rear ended,

- Canajoharie, NY, USA

Jun 192015

Liberty

The window actuator came apart and wrapped around the door latch mechanism in the back where my toddler sets, we were unable to open the door. My husband had to take the door panel apart from the inside and cut the wire in order for the door to be opened. All of my window actuators have stopped working and have had to be replaced.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jul 152015

Liberty

I was driving up the street heard something like a ran over something then Jeep cut off got out to see if I ran over something but nothing was there and Jeep would not start back up, what if I had been on the highway or busy traffic I could have been seriously hurt, which U am blessed that did not happen, the problem I have is Chrysler should notake anything that could cause you bodily harm. A computer should never go out that is dangerous. I had to have the Jeep towed to my home and then to a ship on two different times an one time back home from the shop because I did not have $900 to repair. So I'm stuck without having my Jeep repaired because I'm on a fixed income. Also having electrical problem where Chrysler did poor wiring., cigarette lighter keep going out, blinker and radio wiring is terrible and one of the front lights. Chrysler you got to do a better job, because I loved my Jeep, but very disappointed because I can't afford to have it repair.

- Trotwood, OH, USA

Aug 292015

Liberty

Window regulator has failed on front passenger window and many reports this is due to a cheap plastic assembly that supports the glass instead of metal.it is the manufactures fault as this fails for no reason.my window was tilted when I got in it this morning, no vandalism, nor storms.it make a whirring noise when using the up button and went straight with the cable from the regulator snaking up the side of the door.it is up now but with all the info found feeling I should not pay for it and the issue just repeats itself after replacement because of inadequate equipment. Please help me and so many others having the same experience. I can see how this would be considered a dangerous on the highway. Please use the attached link to see many more reports of the same issue www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Liberty/2004/windows_windshield/windows_fail.shtml

- Chritiansburg, VA, USA

Jun 102015

Liberty

The rear window on the driver's side dropped into the door today. I looked it up online and it appears to be related to the window regulator and it is a commonly reported problem. If it is so common, I have trouble believing that they wouldn't create a recall. I guess Jeep is waiting for a large number of injuries first.

- Anna, IL, USA

Oct 202011

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Rear driver's side window fell into door. Could not get it back up. Window is now held in by zip ties. 6/23/2012 front passenger power door lock stopped working. Purchased vehicle used in June 2007, rear passenger power door lock not working at that time. Occaisionally vehicle will stall and restart while driving.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Mar 292011

2004 Jeep Liberty second replacement of a rear window regulator/motor

- Mineola, NY, USA

Jul 012008

Liberty

The first time this happened, I was driving home from work, and the passenger side, front window fell into the door. At first, I did not know what had happened, I just heard a loud "bang" from the side of my car - I thought that something may have hit the car. Fortunately, I was only going about 35 mph when this occurred, and I was level headed enough to keep driving the car in my lane. This was on route 35 in eatontown, NJ, which is a busy highway during rush hour when this incident occurred. The 2nd time this happened, the rear passenger side window fell into the door. This was in June 2010, 47,000 miles. The third time this happened, the driver side front window fell into the door. This was February 14, 2011, 50,000 miles. Thank god I was not driving on the garden state parkway when these incidents occurred. I have receipts for the repairs. I just got off the phone with Chrysler, and they issued an extended warranty for the 2006 and 2007 models, but not for the 2004 Jeep Liberty models. The rear window passenger side has not fallen into the door yet. My grandson's car seat is next to that window. I know that it is unsafe, but I am losing my job this year because of fort monmouth closing. I am now seriously thinking about getting a new car when I find a new job. The component that fails is the window regulator. It holds the window in place, and when it fails, the window falls into the door.

- Shrewsbury Twp, NJ, USA

Jan 042011

Liberty

I was driving up to kids school to park and parked and tried to take the seat belt off and it was stuck. The red release button was stuck down. I was able to get it released, but the red release button was still stuck down. I tried to re-buckle and nothing worked. I went to the dealership "napletons" and they said that the part was on national back order. I am still waiting.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 132009

Liberty

Window regulator in three of the windows failed while driving. No way to put up the window while driving. No way to secure the vehicle when parked. No way to keep rain and snow from coming in the window until it was repaired. We replaced the window regulators with ones from a salvage yard. We kept old parts.

- Norwalk, IA, USA

Feb 052008

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 15 mph uphill in rainy weather conditions, the vehicle pulled excessively to the right without assistance. The vehicle then fishtailed uncontrollably across the road into a ditch. There were no warnings or injuries. The vehicle sustained damages. The failure recurred on a separate occasion. The rear passenger side tire was damaged and replaced. The contact was concerned of the safety risk involved. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 35,000 and current mileage was 42,000.

- Fenton , MO, USA

May 152004

Liberty

2004 Jeep Liberty safety recall. When the consumer presented the recall notice to the service department they were unaware of the recall and lacked any knowledge or equipment to make the necessary adjustment. The dealer retained the letter and advised the consumer to make an appointment for June 24, 2004. The consumer arrived on the appointment date. The recall stated that the repair would take 30 minutes to complete. An hour later the consumer asked if the vehicle was completed they said the vehicle was not completed and that they could not predict when it would be completed. The consumer took the vehicle from the dealer with the repairs having been completed. The consumer feels the repairs were not being made in a timely manner.

- Plainsview, IL, USA